“Priceline should check out what they sell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Clinton

You added Holiday Inn Clinton to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Clinton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 West Main Street, Clinton, NJ 08809 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Clinton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clinton
NJ USA
“Priceline should check out what they sell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel. The last stay was one year ago over Christmas as well. At that time we were disappointed in the hotel because the beds were not good and very squeaky, to the point that just sitting down on them would be noisey and if you were to turn over while sleeping it would wake you up! They switched our rooms several times but none were good. They told us that they were in the process of re-doing all the rooms. So this year when we went on priceline again, we crossed our fingers that we did not get the Holiday Inn, but once again we did. We thought that for sure by now the rooms would have been re done. Well we were told at the front desk that they were almost finished with one wing and one floor but that was not yet open. This time we knew to expect a not great bed, but what we didn't realize was that they did not turn on the heat! We had a thermosate so we turned it on in anticipation of the heat eventually coming on. If it did it never gave out enough heat to warm the room and all we had was the noise from the "heater" constantly droning, but no real warmth. There was no hair dryer and of course the beds were awful. And yes, as mentioned in other reviews, peeling wall paper, old and chipped furniture, but that we could have lived with. The lady at the front desk (same lady as last year) was realitively pleasant but did not know the time when breakfast was served. We know she has been their at least a year and she did not make any effort to find out. Just told us to go look at the sign.

What was protentionly really dangereous was the elevators. We pushed the 3 for 3rd floor and it took us to the forth floor. We pushed 3 again and it took us to the 2nd floor. It was Christmas eve at 10pm and no one was on the other floors pushing the botton. And it happened 3 more times during out stay. With the two cases reacently in NYC where the people were killed by malfunctioning elevators this is a serious situation.

It is great to have people give reports but if companies like Priceline don't look at them and the hotel is still rated a 3 star when it does not live up to 3 star category, then what is the point? Please look at the reviews for this property and demote it to the proper star rating. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Burnsville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The woman at the front desk needs a class on common courtesy, very rude. Shaky elevator, wrinkled bedspread, towels made of sandpaper, no hair dryer, outdated dirty wallpaper, uncomfortable beds, and lumpy pillows contributed to the rating of "Terrible". Wait I'm not done the breakfast consisted of cold eggs, greasy bacon, juice in dirty glasses, and black bannanas. And to add insult to injury the price of the deplorable breakfast was $10 per person. In my travels this is something that is included in the price. Don't do it you will regret it and if you do watch your step on the way in the sidewalks are crumbling.!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I wold have rated it average, until I tried to take a shower in the morning. The water was lukewarm making the shower marginally tolerable at best. When I reported it to the front desk people their reaction was also best described as lukewarm: "our maintenance people are working on it".

Even aside from the warm water issue, there isn;'t a whole lot to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I was visiting my parents for a few days and this hotel was nearby. I chose this hotel over the Hampton Inn as it was about $40 less per night. I have also been here for weddings, and I never really noticed any problems. I am also a Priority Club member and have had good experiences with other hotels in the InterContinental Hotels Group.

They were doing some sort of construction on the hotel as I was checking-in. Most of the parking lot was blocked off as a result. There was no parking, so I had to park in front of the back entrance.

Room #1) The room seemed, "ok"- it was dated as the furniture was chipped, the wallpaper was peeling, the paint on the trim and doors were chipped, and the doors on the closet were old and did not close properly. This was a room on the executive level. It looks like they tried to update the bathroom a bit, but missed the floor tiling that needs new grouting or a good bleaching. Anyway, it would have been fine for the few nights. Throughout the evening, I would smell an aroma of sewage, but it wasn't too bad, so I just closed the bathroom door just thinking that would help. I was awoken in the middle of the night from being both cold and by a very strong and pungent sewage smell. I went over the the heat thermostat and it said it was under 70 degrees in the room even though I had it set for much higher. I moved the lever as far up as it could go, and cool air was still coming out. The smell was very over-powering and I couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. It almost seemed like it was coming out of the ventilation system and I wondered if that is why the heat was not working. The smell and the lack of heat prompted me to just pack up my things and march down to the front desk to switch rooms (at 3 a.m.)

Room #2) The guy at the front desk put me in another room that was only two rooms away from the last one. I was hoping it wasn't going to smell like sewage. I walked in, and, no, it did not smell like sewage but it smelled like smoke. And, no, it was not cold, but it felt like it was 120 degrees! I went over to the thermostat to turn down the heat, and I noticed that the needle on the temperature gauge was way over the highest number and "bottoming-out" AND it was not on heat, but on the cool setting. Everything in the room was hot to the touch. So, back down to the front desk I went.

Room #3) The guy at the desk told me they were having troubles with their heating system. I would say that was an understatement. He had to put me in a "suite" on the other side of the building, but still on the executive level. The hallway to the room smelled like smoke. I noticed that some doors had a no smoking sign and some did not. Since this hotel is in NJ, smoking is not allowed, so it makes me wonder if this hotel is following the law. I am glad I did not have to pay more for this suite, because the only difference was that it was a bit bigger and had a ratty couch. The room did not smell and the heating worked fine in this room. In the morning at around 8:30, I was extremely thankful that I had closed the blinds all the way, as there was a cherry-picker right outside my window! The executive floor is the top 5th floor- so that is up pretty high. The hotel should have explained that at check-in or had a noticed posted/ passed around to warn people to keep the blinds closed.

I paid close to $100 a night for this place, next time I will gladly pay the $140 a night to stay at the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: don't stay here- there is no guarantee that you will get a suitable room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
middleville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I will start my review with checking in. The woman was not happy and did not want work with me. I handed in my confirmation number for three rooms (my family was also staying here due to a death in the family). She said I had only one room i again asked her to recheck and she was becoming very rude. After about 10 min of this she finally stated that yes, I was right. Well let us move on. Then when I finally got to my room, I had no bath talls so I called to the front desk my one of many calls for this weekend. They never sent any up. After several hours, I had to go searching for a house cleaner and ask for this myself. Then I went to the front desk and ask for a garbage can, clock in the room and other things.
At no point did i ever get anything I ever asked for. With talking with other people in the hotel, they also stated poor stay and would not stay in this place again. For $300.00 for 2 nights, I should not have to beg anyone for the basics in my room. Please here me do not stay at this place. You will have to work to get what you need and they staff is very rude every time. I should know I had other family members try and they were treated the same.

Stay away from Holiday Inn in Clinton NJ. I will stay away from them all from this point forward

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
flemington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Although the holiday inn in clinton is extremely dated...it is very cheap. Our room cost 75 dollars with tax a night. The room was nothing special, slightly grotty, but it was somewhat clean. The bathroom was the most updated in the room, and was clean.
If you only want a cheap, somewhat decent place to stay I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is our favorite hotel in the area for many reasons. Location, amenities, friendly check-in service and area, many choices at the hot breakfast (hot food plus cereal, fruits, and great orange juice) and rooms are clean and meet all needs - nice bathrooms!
But this weekend the Manager, Ash, and his staff really went out of their way. Hotel was booked solid because of the unexpected snow on Oct 29. We thought we had made prior reservations but the reservation number was for the wrong night - my mistake and when I contacted the hotel it was of course booked solid. I asked if my name could be on a waiting list, thinking it would be useless, but sure enough I received late night a return call and we quickly made a new reservation.

This is only one example of our experiences with this wonderful hotel. For the value you cannot beat it. (Bar at night is always fun when the hotel is busy!).

Again, great service from the front desk staff, to security, and cleaning services. The pool is always clean and well maintained. Hot tub is closed at times but we think this is more because of kids using it unsupervised than the hotel's fault. Room decor is basic but we don't mind and this chain is always making renovations. (No other hotels comparable to this price for these amenities).

I cannot agree with a few of the past reviews - for the price you just can't beat everything they have to offer. And if you have a problem a polite inquiry can go a long way.

And I have to tell you that around check-out time the manager or staff member is almost always right near the exit/entrance asking you about your stay and offering a friendly welcome to return.

Thank you to Ms. Kutz and the gentleman who worked the phone with Mr. Ash last night (Oct. 30).

Any questions please ask.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Clinton? Share your experiences!