“Not What I Expected from a La Quinta” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   265 Route 3 East, Clifton, NJ 07014   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Oakland, California
“Not What I Expected from a La Quinta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

A pleasantly nice stay at the LQ Clifton, NJ. We purchased a room for two nights at the Hotwire rate of $54 a night (it was a 3 star selection) to avoid the pricey Manhattan alternative. Indeed, I was surprised to see a La Quinta at a 3 star rating, as it is usually a solid 2.5 across the chain. However, the hotel was newly renovated with the rooms a nice size, colorful carpets and brand new beds. Plus, a large indoor pool that was pleasant. Of course, throw in a free breakfast, parking, and internet and this was a steal for the price. The neighboring Red Robin restaurant was excellent as well.

If you plan on driving into the city, it's about 15 minutes into Times Square, maybe 20 with traffic. There is also a bus and train that take you into town. However, the location of the hotel is right off the highway and a little dank, so, just drive in instead of a bus, etc.

Overall, a downright cheap (in a good way) alternative to make your base near Manhattan.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Niagara Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

I could not have been happier with this hotel. The rooms were clean and up to date. Booking hotels through Hotwire is often a risky adventure, but this hotel ended up being more then I expect out of a 3* establishment.

Location wise, it was fine, although Mapquest had some confusing directions.

The hotel restaurant is the perfect big chain type place that is not overpriced.

I would recommend this to anyone who does not want to pay the high costs of NY City. The drive to Manhattan is direct and easy.

• Liked — Room upgrade without request.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. They are in the process of remodeling so I have to cut them a break for that. The staff was wonderful, always very helpful (although most did not speak English). The Red Robin is connected to the hotel which was great. The bus stop to go into the city was only a couple of blocks away and it was very easy to get around that way. Our room was clean.

On the downside....our room key never worked both days we were there, because they are in the process of redoing things there were the typical things that go along with that, our air conditioner was on the frizt, and our bathroom was a little dirty. The one thing I must say I just didn't like was the smells...Each hallway had a different one.

Not bad for the price, very convienient for a few days and to get into the city

• Liked — Close the city, the price, complimentary breakfast
  • Disliked — cleanliness, smells, and room key not working
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We were 4 of us and hence booked a room with 2 beds. The room was good for price we paid. Nothing too fancy but tidy. Howerever for bathroom cleanliness I would give 2.5 out of 5. I wanted a microwave in our room and was reminding them 2 days in advance but never got it at the end. Also took lots of time for check in as there was just one lady at the reception attending outside calls, room service calls and the people in front of her desk. Hence for room service I would rate it poor.

Good point is that this place is close to a bustop which takes you to Manhattan in 30 mins.

Stayed July 2007
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2006

I was sent there for work for about 6 weeks. First day I got there, the TV didn't work, and the phone (which they didn't change for a long time) I could barely hear through. The next day I found the shower didn't work. It all got fixed, but it's a hassle. But worst of all, they put me in a room next to a bunch of very noisy and loud people that would not stop talking VERY loud and yelling many times until 2 am during the week. I had to call security many times but they never kicked THEM out. Instead I had to change rooms because I couldn't take it anymore. When I complained, someone from the front desk said "This is an URBAN hotel" (whatever that means, but this is Clifton, NJ, not the Bronx) and most of these people are kids coming back from parties drunk. So I guess that's their clientele? Drunk kids? I'm sorry. Never again.

• Liked — close to work
  • Disliked — very noisy people, lots of things don't work, cont. breakfast is a joke
  • Tips/Secrets — Pay a little more and go somewhere else. This is not the Ramada anymore.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Seriously, we'd have been better off sleeping in the rental car.

I booked this room through Orbitz as a reasonable place to stay the night before a five day trip in Manhattan. My son and I arrived about 8:00 pm and took our bags to the room. We noticed straight away that the carpet was stained, the furniture well worn, and the bathroom ceiling was heavily mildewed. Given the price of the room and the hour of the night we decided to let these things pass. We went out to eat a late dinner and to check out the area for our next morning trip to Manhattan and arrived back at the room around 10:30. We noticed a number of people milling around in the parking lot and A LOT of cars driving into, around, and out of the lot. This made us a bit uneasy and we observed this for some time as we went to the gas station next door for sodas. On the way back to the hotel we were asked TWICE by people in the parking lot if we were staying at the hotel and would we let them in the building with our room key as they had “forgotten” theirs in the building. We said no both times and one of the young men directed profanities at both my son and I as he walked away (toward another entrance to the hotel). Within the hotel, there were several groups of younger people (later teens to late 20’s) walking through the hotel. They were very loud and most were obviously under the influence (many reeking of alcohol and pot). My son said he overheard more than one reference to “room parties”. This hotel has SERIOUS security issues which need to be addressed. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again and felt very uneasy even about leaving my car in the parking lot, not to mention my own personal safety.

However, perhaps the WORST aspect of our trip occurred after we returned to the room and watched a bit of television (on a crappy set with little channel access). When my son pulled back his bedspread, we were disgusted to find a blanket with obvious semen stains and sheets with semen and blood stains. This is NO EXAGERATION. I have never seen anything quite as disturbing in any of the literally hundreds of hotel rooms I have stayed in over the years. Housekeeping had also failed to change bedding on the other room bed, though those sheets were “merely” wrinkled and smelled of body odor. I immediately complained to the front desk and asked for another room. I was told that the hotel was full and another room was not available, which I found VERY hard to believe, given the number of “dark” rooms. When I asked for new bedding, I was told to come to the front desk as the hotel “does not have room service”. The attendant on duty agreed that the “[-----] housekeepers are lazy”, but they are only SUPPOSED to “freshen” the rooms, anyway, and it really wasn’t her problem, but that she would get us clean bedding – which she eventually plopped on the counter. I said that “freshening” MIGHT be appropriate if we were in the second or third subsequent nights of a stay, but that this was our first night at the hotel. To this she said, “Whatever”. So, here was my son and I, at 1:00 in the morning, carrying blankets and sheets back to a filthy room so that we could change our own beds. We were so disgusted by the thought of the beds that we ultimately wound up spreading out a sleeping bag we had in the car and used the provided clean blankets to sleep on the floor.

The next morning, I went to see the manager before checkout. I described the situation to the desk clerk who agreed that our experience was disgusting and said he would make “note of it”. I was told that the manager never gets in before 10am when I requested to speak to the manager, so we were forced to leave without having our issue addressed. Have since written to Wellesley (La Quinta) Corporate with NO response.

• Liked — Location near Manhattan
  • Disliked — Everything else. The place is truly awful, unsafe, and filthy.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Albany, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

The hotel was okay...old, but clean and a good place to rest but we wound up with some REALLY noisy neighbors who were in and out of their room (slamming doors) at all hours of the night. You would just dose off and BAM! We also had to ask for extra towels, every day. Four people in a room with 3 towels just doesn't work.

But the overall experience was good. The front desk was VERY friendly and willing to help. The continental breakfast was okay...fresh bagels would have been a nice touch along with some yogurt. But, it was free, so it was okay. Plus, they have coffee and hot water out all day for you to get yourself a cup of coffee or tea.

We would stay their again...convenient to the highways and shopping.

• Liked — The rooms were old, but clean
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbors and a remote for TV that DIDN'T work...after it was changed several times
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay on the first floor...pool traffic (kids), very noisy
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton? Share your experiences!