“Don't let the bedbugs bite!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
montreal , canada
“Don't let the bedbugs bite!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were looking for a cheap stay near the NYC area. We got a great price on the hotel, but as many have said before me...you get what you pay for!
First moments in the hotel were a good indication of what my stay would be like. It took 10 minutes before anybody came to see me at the check in counter...they kept saying one moment, wont be long. During this time we can see them talking in the back room to themselves.
On my way to my room you can already smell the scent or some kind of cheap rosy perfume, which covered up the smell of god knows what!!!
Room was extremely humid and had the same cheap rosy smell.
Small blood stains caused most likely by bedbugs (I will get to that later)
Staff was very helpful in informing me about the best way to get to the city. They looked at me like I was an [--] tourist.
The bed bugs!!! Didnt see them, but they sure bit the hell out of me. Its been about a week from my return and have about 100 bites all over my body!!!
Let em say that Im filling a complaint with the head office!!!
Please reconsider, pay a few bucks more for a decent place!!!
I forgot to mention the water dripping in the hallway from the ceiling!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

41 bucks a night but I think you could pay by the hour if you know what I mean. Since the hotel was located in the shifty part of new jersey we debated on bringing in our purchases every night or risk leaving them in the car. First off the hotel does have a harsh smell to it, sometimes it smelled like cleaners trying to mask a smoke smell other times it smelled like garbage trying to mask a vomit smell. If you think you can just rent this room and take off to NYC everyday I would suggest driving into the city. The hotel is located ona bus route but the bus comes every hour and stops at 10:30 so the risk is up to you but I have taken shadey bus trips in jersey before so expect to pay at least 50 bucks or more to get a drive back if you miss the last bus. Driving into the city took about 45 minutes and abround another 30 mins to find free parking around 70th and broadway. Basically the old saying is true with this place YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you dont like it you can find a place in NYC for 250 a night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

GOOD:
-Relatively clean.
-Very close to public transit to NYC; bus to Port Authority about half a mile away.

BAD:
-Blood stain on sheet
-Bathroom could have been nicer; few holes in walls. But relatively clean.
-Safe in room was broken, so they moved us to a new room. Which had no safe at all.
-Prostitute doing business all night across the hall.
-Front desk staff didn't know area (had no idea how to get to NYC) and didn't know what time the Ihop connected to the hotel
closed.

Overall, I would stay here again if I had to, as long as it was prostitute and blood stain free. Our first room wasn't as nice as
the second room they moved us to, even though it was right across the hall. So if you aren't satisfied with your room, there are
nicer ones. Another thing to note is that you shouldn't bother using their shuttle service to NYC. It's $20.00 a person, when you
could just walk to the bus stop (at Main and Route 3, bus #192) and it takes you right downtown for $4.40 a person. Also note,
no continental breakfast, but there is an Ihop connected to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We committed the mistake of paying this cheap hotel with the most terrible service ever!!!!! The air conditioner did not work, the tv either, the internet got disconnect every 5 minutes, the pool was an empty big space half cover with a plastic bag very dangerous for kids playing around, the bathroom was half broken, they treated us like stupid people and do not answer any direct question with a direct answer, we are moving to another room, I rather to pay more and receive a decent room and service. We paid cheap, and that is exactly what we received from this people.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

We just used this hotel as a place to spend the nights while visiting family in the area. We were not expecting to be entertained while at the hotel...just sleep, shower, spend a bit of evening time in the room. We found the room to be cleaned well each day, noise level was good, and staff was friendly. We will return to this hotel for the same type of stay in the future since the price was great at $47 a night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed at this Howard Johnson's because it was only 20 minutes from Broadway. We were surprised at how clean it was and inexpensive..$60 which included tax. The room had a hair dryer, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave and safe. It was roomy as well. At this hotel you can also catch a (private) shuttle (10 each) to the city to see a Broadway show. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2bikerz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We arrived early evening after a non-stop drive from NYC. All we cared about was sleep. The beds were comfortable and the pillows decent.
The next morning, we opened the curtains to our pool-side view and were very upset to see a disgusting mess where clear, clean water should have been. It seems that the pool was closed for the season! After inquiring at the front desk, I was told that they are very sorry but " they notified all the hotel booking web sites of the fact that there was no pool" a few weeks before our arrival. Since we booked months in advance, we did not know that there was no pool. Very disappointed.
As for the rest of the stay, it was nothing spectacular. The toilet leaked, there were cracks in the tub and lots of hair everywhere.
Coffee and Internet were complimentary in the lobby. A nice buffet was set up in the meeting room, but was prearranged for a group of french tourists.
All of our interests were in NYC, and as it turned out the drive was a little too far.
For the money (I got a special internet rate) it was worth the stay, but next time I will pass this hotel up for someplace closer and cleaner.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!