“Not a good place to bring the wife and kids” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not a good place to bring the wife and kids”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This place was horribly renovated and an absolute disaster. You could say it's good for business travel but good luck sleeping next to the highway and whatever mischief is going on outside. Staff is very friendly but other then that the place is more of a drug dealers hide out than a hotel.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I thought the location was in a great area but the room was disgusting. The shower was not clean. It was very dirty all around. I have never in my entire life stayed in a hotel that looked this way. They should be ashamed to think their standards are good enough for people to sleep here.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

West Milford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

To call this hotel a dump would be an overstatement. It should be knocked down. There is construction materials laid out in hallways, stairwells and sidewalks all over the hotel. I have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions and the same piles of stuff is always there. There is a constant flow of sex workers and drug addicts. Floor three smells like marijuana. I witnessed a food delivery women get jumped by three girls and the hotel staff refused to do anything about it until I threatened to call the cops and all they did was monitor the fight in the parking lot.

Last night took the prize though. I have very low expectations for this hotel and this lowered that bar. I woke up to find a pipe for smoking crack had dislodged itself from the bed and landed in my slipper. I was lucky I didn't put my slipper on or didn't have any children with me.

I called the hotel to complain. I did not ask for a credit on my stay or anything. Just wanted to warn them that the cleaning service is not doing a great job. The man who answered was disinterested and disengaged in the conversation. They clearly don't care.

You are better off spending a few extra dollars and staying at the la quinta up the road.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
romi G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I want to apologize very much for the horrible experience you had during your stay as per the comments I realize that the stay was very disturbing and frightening. I have called my housekeeping staff and trained again on housekeeping.I have also trained the front desk staff.

San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Clean, functional. Heater only stays off or on, temperature control doesn't work. No food in lobby in morning. IHOP next door. Check directions; Route 3 is a divided highway.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you had during your stay at our hotel. We are working on the heater issue.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

Chose this hotel as it was outside NYC and wanted to stay somewhere quiet. We checked into our room that was dated however had the basic things we needed for our brief stay. Adjacent rooms were being remodeled during the day. On the 2nd night of our stay we were woke at midnight by room next door blasting rap music and loud profanities. I knocked on door to politely ask them to turn down music only to be cursed at in a foreign language, as they woke and scared our 2 year old. I went to front desk to explain situation to manager, hoping he could simply call and speak to the room.. But instead of offering to resolve the issue.. He unhappily offered me a new room. No apology from management whatsoever. I certainly would not recommend this hotel for families or anyone who values customer service as part of
their traveling experience.

Stayed November 2014
romi G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello I want to primarily thank you very much for taking your time to write this review for us as it helps to improve our service to you and allows us to understand our guest and their needs better. On the other hand I must apologize for the inconvenience you had in the middle of the night . I have talk to my staff and trained them. I want to apologize to once again.
New York Ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

The room I had a room with half a drape so all night there was alot of light in the room. Every body at the front did not know what to do nor had power to do anything.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

romi G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, November 7, 2014
We would like to start with apologizing for your stay. I have fixed the drapes in that room. We Have also trained our staff. I would like you to give us another chance to make your stay a good one.

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!