“Stay here only if you dont care about personal safety” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
McAllen
“Stay here only if you dont care about personal safety”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Staff was very unfriendly except to fellow indians. Car was stolen from parking lot never recovered and was given no compensation from Hotel. You are completely on your own at this hotel. Beware!!!!!

Room Tip: The tip is, stay at a hotel that truly cares about its guests and their personal safety. THIS HOTEL...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and me had a very bas experience in this Hotel.

He had some problems like:
1.With our reservation
2.Toilet does not work,
3.Bad air conditionater
4.Horrible breakfast
5.They did change our towels.
By this reason WE DO NOT RECOMEN THIS TERRIBLE HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Asheboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The bed was AMAZING! the tv was good, and the room contained a fridge and microwave.. although the hotel had a severe smell of marijuana that started on and off first thing in the morning. the bathroom was decent but there were cracks in the walls and small details that had seemingly been overlooked i dont know if i would stay again considering the smell and the view out of my room was a nasty covered pool not in function and a large trash pile.. no breakfast wifi was good

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

As I wrote to the Corporate Howard Johnson Staff:

I live in NY, but was on my way to see a client when I got locked out of my car in the pouring rain for quite some time. I was thus soaked from head to toe, tired, extremely worn out, and having a very rough day.

I finally got into my car, headed to a nearby target to pick up some clean clothes, and on my phone saw that there was a nearby Marriott and also a Howard Johnson. Seeing your commercials on TV, I felt I "needed" a warm place where they "care" about their customers, so I chose the Howard Johnson. I could not have been more wrong or regret my decision more.

I walked in the door, and was greeted by an awful revolting smell resembling mold or mildew, mixed with the smell of that rest stop bathroom odor remover stuff they use.

Anyhow, the front desk was unmanned, I had to call out several times, "hello, hello, hello" until the "manager" came out. No greeting, by the way. I asked him if he had day rates, he told me what they were. I was already turned off, but being that it was pouring outside, and I was drenched, I figured "how bad could it be?".

I paid him by Credit Card, first he told me one room, then he told me another. 123.

I went to the room (he should have accompanied me, considering the room was all the way on the other side of the hotel, down a hallway with quite a few doors that had to be opened and my hands were full).

On the way to the room, down the hall (which smelled much much much worse than even the lobby, and which had no Air Conditioning), there were several doors (almost all of them broken). I finally got to my room and entered.

The room had the same musty, dingy, nasty, moldy, Air Freshener / Rest stop bathroom smell as the lobby, but I was wet, hot, and exhausted, so I put my stuff down.

I tried turning on the TV, to no avail. I tried calling the front desk from the phone in the room several times but got a busy signal each time. I walked into the hall, and saw an open room with a hotel maid "cleaning" the room, and watching TV in the room she was cleaning. I asked her about the TV, she told me to contact the front desk. I went back to the front desk and asked him if there was supposed to be 1 remote in the room or two (thinking that this is maybe why the TV wasn't working). He told me 2. I told him there was only 1 in the room, he said I should go back and check and if I still don't see it I should call the front desk and he'll send someone. I told him I tried calling the front desk and I got a busy signal, to which he replied that he had a few calls and that I should call him and he'll answer.

I went back to the room, searched high and low for the "other" tv remote, to no avail. I pick up the phone, press the front desk button, it's "busy". I get on my cell phone, search for the hotel on google, find it, call the #, and lo and behold, he picks up! I explain to him that there is no other remote. in the room.

He says he'll send someone. Bare in mind that I only have a few hours to get cleaned up (hopefully take a nap) and get to my client.

The guy shows up, (of course not with a remote but holding a can of Febreze - of course). He fiddles around with the remote and TV for about 7 - 8 minutes, shows me how to "bypass" the need for another remote and leaves.

You'll excuse my bluntness in the next descriptions, but I need the bathroom.

I am hoping to use the bathroom, take a shower, and then hopefully have a nap. I go into the bathroom, lift the toilet seat, and see FECAL MATTER ON THE TOILET SEAT! Not to mention that the seat is still wet and dripping from either Urine or maybe a wet rag that was "used" to wipe the seat down! I had to use the bathroom squatting above the toilet!!!!!!!!!

I flushed the toilet (by the way with no excessive paper, tissue, or other product in there, and toilet wont flush! Instead, the toilet starts to back up with what seems like someone else's (you'll excuse me) stuff!

Furthermore, the floor in the bathroom was dirty, with a fairly large dead roach or some other bug, and the cover for what looked like personal lubricant or some other product on the floor just sitting there!

Additionally, the shampoo / conditioner bottles had definitely been used, and the toilet paper was not full rolls. The shower was not cleaned properly (but I had to use it anyway - what choice did I have?).

I "finished" my "shower" and went back to my smelly, dirty, filthy, nasty, room. I got dressed, and left.

I chose not to call or discuss this with the staff anymore because given the other previous experiences with them, I saw how far I'd get.

On my way out, I told the "manager" what I'd experienced and he said "he'd look into it".

By the way, I saw the same maid cleaning the same room watching tv".

I was in the hotel for approx 1.5 - 2.5 hours, I don't remember exactly how long.

The owners of this hotel are trying to run a hotel with a staff of 3 people, and are looking to cut corners and save as much money as possible and not wanting to put a dime into it.

As I said, they don't have to worry about me coming back ever again.

I emailed HoJo corporate offices, who fwd my email to the hotel. The manager sent me an email that they take this "seriously" and that he would give me 10% off my next stay there.

Are you kidding me????/?!!!!!!!

Room Tip: dont stay here at all - i have photos
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a fond memory of Howard Johnson's as a child and wanted my family to experience it as well:( Unfortuneatly, the experience for them was more like a horror story! 1st, Lost our reservation & told us 2 call instead of them. 2nd, Gave us a room on a floor that was being renovated meaning all the furniture from the rooms were in the hallway. 3rd, Room's floor was soaked & when I contacted the front desk he came 2 check it & then told me : "Oh yes, we tipped the fridges in here & they all had their ice melt on2 the rug. My son caught a cold from their negligence! 4th, Breakfast was not included even though the reservation stated it was. 5th, BathRoom smelled as if the toilet clogged & flooded out. 6th, Room, HallWay & everything in general was dirty & or stained. 7th, Eleveator smelled like an ashtray. 8th, Half of the Electricty outlets didn't work. 9th, WiFi Internet only worked @ the front desk; otherwise Internet was constantly up & down. Howard Johnson's should b ashamed. Hotel Management didn't care; with a smile on their faces they stated that : "It is was iut is" & never offered an apology. I feel as though they robbed me!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Newark Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

A huge rip off. Cost was $35 more than advertised, free breakfast doesn't exist, address incorrectly listed on internet, bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable, receptionist was too busy arguing on the phone to assist us when we checked out. I would sleep in mycar before staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Reasons for this rating: Stained love seat and ottoman; found 2 hair in bathroom (toilet and inside a towel); bathroom tub clogged; signs of mold in bathroom; spider and spider web on lamp; hand print on bathroom mirror.
The biggest problem was not all the above mentioned issues, but the fact that this hotel never offered any form of apology. They did offered me another room, which was even worse that the first one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!