“Nice staff but needs to be updated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Clark - Newark

You added Holiday Inn Clark - Newark to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Clark - Newark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Valley Road, Clark, NJ 07066 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Clark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clark
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rockville, Maryland
“Nice staff but needs to be updated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The staff was very nice. The room was worn, though clean. The sheets were
beat. Very thin and used up and the pillows were lousy. The staff in the restaurant for breakfast could not even get it together to bring us a cup of coffee, and I agree with other reviews that the food is overpriced. The location was great for the family event we attended and there was ample parking. The place just really needs an overhaul.

Room Tip: See if any rooms have been updated
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Clark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I missed my connection at JFK and the next flight was at least 24 hours later. The warm and friendly staff were already expecting me and my room was already prepared when I finally got there. Rooms include a microwave and fridge. Internet access was complimentary and a warm breakfast was offered to raise my spirits. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of during my stay. I warmly recommend this hotel which happens to be quite close to Newark International Airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

The staff at the Crowne Plaza were amazingly accommodating. The front desk person made us a whole bunch of photocopies for free in 1 minute flat. When we got an undercooked fishy-smelling piece of salmon at the restaurant, the waiter not only replaced it with a nice chicken dish without complaining, he also gave us our whole meal free! When noisy people moved in next door, they gave us a new room on the quiet fifth floor immediately.
And there were just all these nice touches - a "courtesy call" after check-in to ask if everything was ok, offers to help us with our luggage, reassurance that our meals would go to the corporate account.
The little freebie perks were great too - Hersheys kisses in the hallways, rock candy swizzle sticks with the coffee, and lavender pillow-spray in the rooms.
We were expecting an ordinary chain hotel, and in many ways it is one, but the great service brought it to a higher level.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Arlington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed at the Crown Plaza while my life-partner was working nearby. I am self employed, but needed to get work done. The hotel had everything I needed, easy wireless, good cell reception, a business center with helpful staff. I was able to work in peace, use the facilities, and get in a work out and meals. All without leaving.

The room was clean and comfortable, and I appreciated the attention to getting a good night's sleep such as an eye mask, ear plugs and wake up call.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Memphis, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights because of a business trip in the area. This quality of decor was not what I expected from a Crown Plaza. The hotel has definitely aged, although they have managed to keep it fairly clean. Checkin was slower than typical. The hotel has amazingly slow elevators for such a small hotel. One morning I waited more than 10 minutes for one of the 2 elevators to come.

The rooms are comfortable and organized well - Flat screen TV, desk, upholstered chair and fridge. The bathroom is very cramped with minimal counter space.

The breakfast was adequate, but not outstanding. With a price of $9 for continental and $15 for a very basic full breakfast, it seemed a little on the high side for what you got. For dinner, you can either eat in the hotel restaurant or drive 5 mintues to the restaurants as there isn't anything within walking distance to the hotel.

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in my life, but nothing about this hotel thrilled me. Just ok. Choose this hotel if you need to work close by, otherwise go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

When I travel for work or with the family, I dont deny myself. On this trip, I was taking a test at the Prometric center in the office building next door. Traveling without my wife and young son, I just picked any 'ol hotel because it was close to the testing center. Hotel is what I expected, a little dated, but very clean.

I have to agree with many of the other folks and their reviews. I felt compelled to get on and write a review on the service as good service is not something you find anywhere these days. The Hotel staff are genuine, attentive and helpful. Something I'd expect from a mainline Marriott, Hilton or boutique hotel (not the courtyards or Hampton inns, their real properties). If I had to stay in the Clark area again, I would definatly consider a repeat stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CrownePlazaClark, Manager at Holiday Inn Clark - Newark, responded to this review, November 21, 2010
Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza Clark-Newark. We appreciate the time you spent reviewing highlights of your stay with us. This really helps other future guests get a feel for our hotel.

Our staff take great pride in offering the highest quality of customer service to each and every guest that stays at our hotel.

We hope you get a chance to stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards
Jensen Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I wanted to like this hotel, I really did... It's clean and everything LOOKS great. The staff, especially Alfredo at the front desk, was very polite and friendly. BUT....the bed was so soft and uncomfortable. When my hubby moved, I moved!! Like a rocking ship....pillows were awful.. The shower was good and hot. But, the worst thing of all was the traffic sounds kept me awake all night. Really loud--and we were on the top floor in the "quiet zone". The food in the restaurant was limited and overpriced.. $13 for a cobb salad..i.e. their version... lettuce, cucumbers (that were bad) chicken,eggs, bacon bits, tomatoes and feta cheese? feta ...on a cobb??? And breakfast...seriously, a $4. bowl of cereal...?? The room $139...but after taxes, etc...$159...not a bargain. Maybe those of you who can sleep soundly through anything would consider it a good deal. Nothing special here...sorry. Just telling the truth!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaClark, Manager at Holiday Inn Clark - Newark, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you to our guests from Valley Falls, NY for taking the time to share your feedback. We greatly appreciate your comments as they allow us to ensure we constantly review and strive to provide the level of service you would expect from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

Your comments have been shared with the appropriate staff members. We apologize for the inconvenience you occurred due to the noise from outside traffic and the level of comfort of our beds.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. We continuously strive to improve the experience of our guests and your feedback allows us to do so!

Please let us know when you plan on returning to the Clark-Newark area. We will be happy to assist with any arrangements you may need that would allow you to have a more enjoyable stay!

Kind Regards.

Been to Holiday Inn Clark - Newark? Share your experiences!