“Fish Platter for two served three ..... miracle of the fishes...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Palo Alto, California
“Fish Platter for two served three ..... miracle of the fishes...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

On this second visit to Short HIlls Deli we shared a FIsh platter for two, with lox and kippered salmon and whitefish, etc.... We ordered an extra bagel...and still there were leftovers.
The coffee pours endlessly, the service is excellent, and accommodating, (for those who need things on the side and it was not me !) and it's a treat to stop there for breakfast .
During the weekday, their morning egg specials put iHop to shame.

A favorite breakfast place in Cherry Hill.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

new jersey
“VERY RUDE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We keep giving this place another try hoping that their staff might be more friendly. The food is average and a little pricey and the counter man as rude as they come. He was standing at the register writing something and never made eye contact with me. I waited a few minutes and asked if I should wait here for him and he said not go to the other end and pay the deli person.

It doesn't take much to be friendly and courteous so I will never return!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Mixed reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Checking past reviews, I can't help but wondering why about half of them rate the Short Hills Deli above average, and the other half are average or below. How could there be such a wide difference of opinions? It will take the deli maven to break the tie!

First, I have been to Jewish-style delis all over the country – in New York, northern New Jersey, Montreal, and south Florida where it's easy to find a good deli, and in places like Hartford, CT, Charleston, WV, Tucson, AZ, and even Los Angeles, where you need to take a leap of faith before ordering the corned beef.

And then there is the Philadelphia area, a deli wasteland that I unfortunately now find myself in. I've had deli experiences in Philly that would make a New Yorker cringe. Once, when I ordered a potato knish, the waitress asked me “Ya want that hot or cold?” Another time I ordered a hot pastrami sandwich. A sandwich arrived that had what looked like a big lump of bacon inside. They had microwaved cold pastrami, and it shriveled up into this inedible ball.

And Cherry Hill, where the Short Hills Deli is located, is definitely in that Philadelphia sphere of influence. People on the posh east side of Cherry Hill rave about it, but perhaps we west-siders, where the trees are lusher and more mature, have more discriminating taste.

A friend and I decided today to have a bagels and lox brunch. Rather than going to the large, well known diner at the main crossroads in the middle of town where we have eaten before, we decided to try something new. Lets try the Short Hills Deli.

We arrived just before noon. It wasn't too crowded, and we were seated quickly. Opening the menu (which is huge because it also contains advertising!), there on page two, was Nova Scotia Lox and Cream Cheese on a bagel.

Our friendly server, Terry, came by with water and a plate with a few pickles and a tiny cup of “health salad.” In north Jersey or New York they would have left big overflowing bowls of pickles and salad for us. We each ordered a bagel and lox platter, plus one potato knish for us to share as an appetizer.

The dining room is reminiscent of the restaurants in south Florida that my elderly relatives go to. I couldn't help but wondering “Where are the seniors for the early bird specials?”

Terry came back with our potato knish. It was only luke-warm, and dry. Good thing I had my coffee to wash it down with.

Next came our lox platters – a generous portion of hand-sliced Nova lox, a couple of slices of tomato, one slice of onion, one slice of cucumber and one ripe olive, all on a bed of ... Is that Romaine or Kale? And what's it there for? To make everything look bigger? The lox was delicious, though, and the bagel was fresh and perfectly lightly toasted.

Terry refilled our coffees, and left each of us only one little container of cream. And that gets me to what I think is the overall problem here ... stingy portions! Not everything, but on little things. Even in the rest room the automatic towel dispenser gives only one toilet paper sheet-sized paper towel at a time! The tradition in a Jewish-style deli is “Eat children, eat!” The best, most famous delis have huge overflowing portions. Not so here. And at their prices, which while not outrageous are on the high side, you would think they wouldn't do that.

Even in the parking lot they're stingy with spaces. Luckily we got there early, but the merchants in this shopping center each have their turf marked off. The cleaners next door has two spaces marked with “Dry cleaner only – 10 minutes.” Short Hills Deli, too, has their spaces marked “Parking for Short Hills Deli only – 1 hour strictly enforced.” What are you going to do? Tow away a customer's car? Why not just expand the parking lot.

So, while Short Hills gets good marks for the food and the service, they fall short on atmosphere and value. I noticed a TripAdvisor sticker on the front door. I hope that means they read these reviews and react to them.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“not sure why this place is so busy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were a larger group of 6 adults and 2 children during lunch time on a Wednesday afternoon. The place was packed, as it normally is, so I'm not sure why it took 3 hours for lunch. We ordered simple sandwiches or soup. The sandwiches come with bagged potato chips and coleslaw, both of which are already prepared. The coleslaw was delicious. The chicken noodle soup was just warm enough not to be sent back and had no seasoning. The waitress was overwhelmed with her busy schedule and was very short. She had a HUGE attitude as time went on and was very fresh, but somewhat saved herself (or maybe her job) by taking $30 off the check. She never came back to check on us and when we finally got her attention and told her what was wrong with the orders she said it's not her fault it's the cook's fault. She said I don't cook the food I just bring it out. The simpler orders (grilled cheese, overlight eggs, chicken salad) were fine. (can you really mess those up???) But the open face sandwiches were very sloppy and skimpy especially for the price when you are including a tiny side of coleslaw and a $0.25 bag of chips. Not going here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cherry hill,nj
“Pay for bread?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Ordered soup and a large salad plate. Asked for bread. Was told that there would be an extra charge for a slice of bread. Pay for bread? No way. On top of that, the waiter was rude. Never asked is everything was okay. Ignored us. Waiter spent a lot of time talking to a table of 4 women sitting behind us. Will not be back. Mediocre food, bad service, and pay for bread. Next time I will go to the Marlton diner......cheaper, great service, better food, and never a charge for bread.