My boyfriend surprised me with a room at the Inn of the Dove to celebrate our anniversary. I'd read some unflattering reviews on here, but after talking to a few friends who had also visited before, I pushed any negative thoughts to the back of my mind and prepared for an enjoyable night. How I wish we had gone somewhere else.
We should have realized our mistake when we first arrived and were reminded that we only had 15 minutes in the room to discover any problems. The signs regarding theft and the threat of police should more than two people be in the room were not exactly welcoming either. But we were ignorant and pushed it aside, wanting nothing more than to enjoy a romantic evening together. When we first entered the room, we noticed a slight mildew odor and leftover cigars/cigarettes of the previous guests sitting in an ashtray. However, everything else seemed just fine and since we had dinner reservations, we thought nothing more of it and went off to begin our celebration. However, it was when we returned later that night that we began to experience numerous problems.
To start, with the exception of the mini decorative pillows on the bed, we realized there were no pillows available. The sauna, one of the main reasons we had booked the honeymoon suite, refused to work. After dealing with it for half an hour and still getting no results, we unhappily gave up. The mildew odor that we had first noticed when we arrived got progressively worse throughout our stay and by the time we left, we both felt sick. The deadbolt on the door did not lock, which made me personally feel very unsafe, as our room was in the back area, away from the main building, which seemed strange since no other rooms were occupied.
We are both pretty sure that there was an animal of some sort in our room, or in the walls. On separate occasions, we heard the sounds of something skittering around in the far corners of our room. Our bathroom door was basically non-existent, a slab of wood that refused to move, led to a toilet with a seat that didn't quite fit. How romantic.
Lastly and worst of all, was the Jacuzzi. It took well over thirty minutes to fill it up and when the jets were turned on, an unidentified brown substance spewed out into the water. Hoping this was a one time occurrence and perhaps it hadn’t been used in a while, I let the jets run for ten minutes, emptied the tub, cleaned it out, and started over again. After filling the tub for a second time, the same exact problem occurred and I finally gave up on the idea.
We contacted the main office regarding these issues and unsurprisingly were ignored. How very unprofessional and unacceptable. Nothing like spending over $200 for a truly terrible night.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.