“I'm just giving directions, I had to rate the hotel in order to complete these instructions but again I NEVER STAYED HERE!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway

You added Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Roosevelt Avenue, Exit #12 New Jersey Turnpike, Carteret, NJ 07008   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carteret
Springfield,NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I've never stayd @ this hotel but I pass it all the time, the only advice I can give is your GPS depending on the age of it may give you round about directions. This isn't because of your GPS, that road recently under went a major Constrution & is completly different than b4. Directions: coming from the NJ turnpike, north or south, pay toll & go hard to the right & the hotel is right on the right side next to the turn pike. Depending on your GPS & age will be a great factor on location of this hotel. The only definit review I can give is that this hotel is a main hub for alot of truckers & other working with trucks type of people but again I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CONDITION THIS HOTEL IS ON THE INSIDE!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The 3rd shift (2a.m.) desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. The building is dated, but upgraded. The room was clean with modern bedding. Although, upon entering the room....there was a smell that hinted there may be a sewer back up somewhere. It was WAY too late with a planned early morning to make a room change request. As friendly as they were at the front desk, my bet is they would have handled accordingly. The room and location served it's purpose for the need that particular trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.....can be noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The "very good" rating is for the room ONLY if it were in a vacuum since this hotel is in the most depressing area ever. This is not the fault of the hotel of course, can't help where it's built. It's convenient to EWR airport but not super close. It's important to note that it DOESN'T HAVE AN ELEVATOR, which is inconvenient for a hotel next to the airport for travelers. Almost all the non-smoking rooms are on the upper floor, so keep in mind if you want a non-smoking room you will have to drag all your luggage up a flight of stairs. We checked one of the smoking rooms on the lower floor and it stunk big time. The room was spacious, but the carpet was damp and sticky, probably because they had just washed it but didn't dry it properly. I had walked barefooted in the room and it felt so icky and sticky that I put my shoes in the room which I hate to do. Other than that, the room was clean and comfortable, especially the beds! The beds get a 5! I liked it that there was a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker in the room. Not sure if all rooms have them though. The clientele is a bit iffy perhaps due to the location, catering to truck drivers and other transients? There were empty cases of beer on the lower floor, and loud music coming from some of the rooms when you walk in the hallway (can't hear a thing once you're inside your room). There are vending machines which are convenient since to get to the nearest supermarket you will have to drive. Note, if you use the vending machines, use small bills otherwise you will be stuck with lots of change. We used a $20 bill to get one drink, and it was like we were at a Las Vegas slot machine and hit the jackpot when all the quarters came pouring out in change! Good to know I guess if you want lots of quarters to feed parking meters or whatever. The pool is outdoors and looked great but we didn't get a chance to use it. There is also a laundry room but didn't use that either. Wifi and parking are complimentary. The hotel is a 35-minute drive into NYC and 15 mins to EWR.

Room Tip: If non-smoker, try to snag a non-smoking room on the lower floor if you have luggage since no elevat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Campbellford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We arrived on August 03 after the GPS directed us to another Holiday Inn closer to the airport. That was our first experience with Holiday Inn and it was not a positive one. The clerk there didn't know where the Carteret location was and when my partner asked if he would call to get directions, he was told no he could not.

***Be very careful if you are using your GPS as it doesn't position you properly once you are on the New Jersey Turnpike and you'll find yourself going in circles and no one at a gas station who will give you directions.

My partner called the hotel himself and asked if we could get a clarification on the address. The desk clerk wanted to know why and if we had a reservation? After we provided our name/rank/serial number we were given the address and were told that we might be getting off at either exit 12 or 13. It seems to be a common theme that desk staff are not required to know basic information on where they or partners are located.

We finally arrived at the proper location fairly late and the desk clerk who signed us in didn't even direct us to our room and while I was struggling with balancing luggage and other articles he didn't even offer to help and pretty much stood there watching us go by. Perhaps we woke him up?

The WiFi was not working and when I went to the desk to ask, I was told that a password is required. What he didn't explain immediately was that it's a browser based login just said that I need a password. Anyone who is not technical will be extremely confused by this, thankfully I have an advanced understanding of wireless technology. Additionally I stood at the desk for 4-6 minutes before he came out and I was greeted with a look like I was taking him away from something more important. I would provide a name, however he wasn't wearing any type of name tag.

Overall the service is left to be desired, except for housekeeping who did greet me with a smile and a hello. Holiday Inn will not be a hotel chain we consider in the future. We travel extensively across the world and I believe we received better service in 2nd/3rd world locations. I work and train in Customer Service and the desk staff at both locations would not make it through my training modules.

We may cancel the balance of our reservation and go to a different hotel, Paying almost $400.00CAD for sub par service is not what we pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Reserved a banquet room for 50 travelers. Great restaurant mgr, very attentive staff, buffet was awesome, cold dishes, salads, dessert, 5 hot chafing dishes, pasta, fish, chicken 2 beef dishes.
Very accommodating would return again,
Kids welcomed. Thanks again Carteret
Holiday inn staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I couldn't believe the professionalism of Kathy at this hotel.! We had been driving for over 15 hours and made the mistake of not booking a hotel ahead. We took the chance on this holiday Inn and after several mins of looking and showing us a room that we didn't want, Kathy finally was able to meet our needs. I also made the mistake of asking for a roll away bed and realizing I didn't need it after all when Kathy was rolling it down our way. She smiled and said no problem. THANK YOU KATHY and thank you Holiday Inn for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Coffee is served from 3AM to 8am. The hotel caters to Amtrak employee's. As for the rest of the guest staying there......THEY DON'T EXIST! Try getting a cup of coffee at 9am. Not even the restaurant has coffee made! The hotel puts out coffee, cream and donuts for the Amtrak employee's. Everything is gone by 6am when the Amtrak employee's leave. Thank goodness McDonald's is just down the street. They always have coffee and are happy to give you cream to go with your coffee.
Employee's at the front desk give you the impression that you are bothering them and get irritated when you want something. We were so much of an irritation that they left us sitting at the airport for an hour for a ride back to the hotel. His excuses was traffic. Nice try but there was no traffic delays going north or south on the pike!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear ParkerTrucking,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. Let me take this opportunity to inform you that this matter will be looked into. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway? Share your experiences!