“Nacho Mama's Kind of Place” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Irish
Savannah, Georgia
“Nacho Mama's Kind of Place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it's not the best idea to order Nachos at an Irish Pub. But this was a business lunch and our host wanted to spread some appetizers around while our table of six waited on lunch. He picked Nacho's and Calamari - two fairly standard choices available in many pub settings. The first, Nachos, are generally about the same everywhere. Tortilla chips smothered in cheese, beans, jalapenos, olives, etc. So common in our culture a definition shouldn't even be necessary. Grasshopper is home to America's worst. I am pretty sure the cook has never actually seen nachos before. These came out with a smattering of cheese (1/2 cup sprinkled loosely among the chips), about 25 beans (also dropped in random order), several teaspoons of sour cream, and that's about it. When the waitress sat them on the table everyone laughed. Next came the calamari. Granted, asking Grasshopper to have great calamari is like asking Waffle House if their bacon is organic. Nevertheless, it wasn't good. It would be my suggestion that the management consider removing these items from the menu because they are so bad.
Everyone at the table ate from the daily lunch specials. Of the six of us, the young woman who ordered the chicken wrap was satisfied. My fish and chips were completely void of any flavor; the malt vinegar accompanying the food was as thin as water and lacked any taste. The guy next to me had the brisket sandwich which he reported was okay, but lacked any real flavor.
So at this point I would say Grasshopper was an okay destination for lunch. However, in all fairness I must admit that the service was incredibly slow. The six of us were seated, served and checked out in just under 2 hours. A remarkable turn time considering the restaurant was not busy and we all ordered off the daily lunch specials. The staff seemed friendly enough, and why not, they weren't in any hurry.
This was my first visit to Grasshopper and maybe they were just having a really terrible day. Perhaps they pride themselves on being an Irish Pub and New Jersey's crazy liquor laws require they also serve food. I really don't know.

• Visited June 2011