“Poor value website rates are misleading” 2 of 5 stars

Hyland Motor Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   38 E Mechanic St, Cape May Court House, NJ 08210   |
Hotel deals
Florida
“Poor value website rates are misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I had prepaid for this room for a week but when I arrived I was told I did not have reservations for that night. After being told this was my problem not theirs I payed for the room for that night and went to bed it was late I was tired and my visit was to the area. I did think the front desk personal were a bit rude but I was there and had payed for the room. It was nothing special and well below what it should have been for the price.

I have planed another trip to the area and call to reserve another room after checking rates on their website. As the title says I found them a bit misleading. I will be staying somewhere else. There are I have found places with-in 10 mile much closer to area attractions. When looking for a place on-line pass them by I have found you can do much better.

• Liked — It was a place to sleep
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

stayed here for one night the week of 6/12. Room w/2 double beds, desk, refrigerator, bath w/shower. Carpet was clean, portable refrigerator was of generous side, beds were adequate (but disappointed no blanket in the room... after stripping off the bedspread had to bring throws in from the car to stay warm. The facility keeps the light on all night (or lights as the place is lit up like a Christmas tree). We didn't bring eye masks and we really needed them b'c the outside light shined in through the drapes. (I used bath towels to cover the light shining in from the tops of the drapes but it didn't help the sides or bottoms. The bathroom was clean, with reasonably new tile on the floor; however, the workmanship was shoddy. The door trim was marred significantly, one corner where the tile was installed looked like poor workmanship.

About 9 miles N. of Cape May proper, the room was cheaper than staying in town but... you get what you pay for.

• Liked — price compared to Cape May proper
  • Disliked — shoddy workmanship, outside lights shining in all night
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

Our clean, comfortable room had everything we wanted including a kitchenette. Although the hotel was full, our room was very quiet and we slept so well that we were sorry to have to leave after only two nights. The staff is very nice and helpful. To top it off, we found all this at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Beach Haven,New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

The hotel is located in a lovely wooded setting,convenient to many beach resorts.Its clean,quaint, and well maintained.The staff is courteous and helpfull.It has a nice pool.The price is the best value ive seen in the area. I plan to stay here on my next visit to the area.

Stayed August 2006
Huntington, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

When we first arrived I thought this was a big mistake. Nothing is updated, fixturesand furniture from the 60's, but I was surprised because it was very clean. I would stay there again for a blast from the past!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

We stayed at the Hyland Motor Inn and found it to be a quiet motel conveniently located to Cape May, Wildwood and Stone Harbor. The room was very clean and staff were friendly and accommodating. The rates were reasonably priced and we are scheduled to return in July.
We definitely recommond this motel to those who want to visit Wildwood but stay in a peaceful enviorment and those who want to visit Cape May or Stone Harbor but not stay in a pricey hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

This hotel has absolutely nothing worth visiting. Aside from the fact that it is situated directly next to the hi-way, it is one of the filthyest places I have ever seen. Charging as mucth or more than much nicer places in stone harbor (119.00USD) the rates are also an offense. The onlything more dissapointing than the room rates was the management. We rented 4 rooms and one suite, and lost our deposit on all of them when we said the rooms were too filthty for human occupation. Mildewstains on the floor, celing, bathroom, and sheets, a dank musty smell and the obvious heavy smoking scent accompanied every room. An unplugged funk-infested fridge sat in the middle of one of hte rooms, door open, and water on the floor. Similar situation was in all the other rooms. When we went to the management to complain, they said we could not get our deposit back, and it was only with several hours of discussion and calls to the fraud prevention hotline that the managment said they would void the remainding nights stay from the card transaction they had altready booked without signature. Upon asking if they had an expaination for the devestated condition of the place, the response was that they were not the Hilton, and that each hotel had different styles, some were victorian, some were colonial. We asked what type of style the half empty swimming pool represented, and what look the fungus growing in the sink was aiming for.

Save yourself the trouble, go to a hotel in Stone harbor, they are less expensive, and right by the beach in a nice sleepy little beach town. Leave this place, and its dismal hi-way noise to the truckers.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Hyland Motor Inn? Share your experiences!