“disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Gardens
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Leaming's Run Gardens is a charming series of flower gardens nestled into acres of native woodlands in Cape May County, New Jersey. The shady path leads you past a bamboo grove, an expansive cinnamon fernery,and many beautiful vistas created by the themed flower plantings. The gardens were created by the Aprill family to preserve the centuries old woodlands and wetlands that are home to many rare native plants, and to create a relaxing place for visitors to escape from the pace of modern life. Family owned and operated for 36 years, the gardens are supported solely through admission fees. No outside funding has ever been received. Hummingbirds are plentiful in August. We hope you will visit, relax, and leave refreshed. We appreciate the support the garden has received from our guests over the years.Jack, Emily, Gregg and Missie Aprill
Franklin, NJ
5 attraction reviews
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I expected to see more plants and more labeled. Two people recommended this place to me. I would not. If you do go make sure you bring drinks with you. It was a hot day and they did not sell anything to drink,

Visited August 2012

Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Not worth the time or money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Please save yourself the time and skip this "attraction". There are better "gardens" to see in Cape May County that are free, as they should be. Go enjoy the Zoo....it's a better day out.

PA
14 attraction reviews
“trail in woods”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Not what I expected - nice shady trail thru the woods. The flowers were scattered at spots along the trail. Would be good for families with kids who need to use up some energy. The day we were there, the animals were not on display due to construction.

Visited July 2012
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
“False Advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The brochure said "The largest annual garden in the USA" and "One of the top ten gardens in the east". I have more flowers in my yard and I can think of a dozen places in just Vermont that have better gardens (I live in Ohio). The dozen or so gardens are extremely small and poorly arranged and some had weeds growing. This place may have been featured in the New York Times but I can't believe it was a good feature. On the positive side, it is a nice walk in the woods and we really liked the small groves of bamboo trees which we think should have been mentioned in the brochure; and the barn was nice; but for $8, this was disappointing.

Visited June 2012
Missie A, Owner at Leaming's Run Gardens, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I'm sorry your garden visit disappointed you. It sounds like your brochure is an older one that we no longer print, it is difficult to get them all out of circulation when we change to a new version. Leaming's Run has been noted as one of the Top Ten Gardens in the East in the past, and more recently readers of New Jersey Monthly magazine voted it as one of the best in the state. I realize we need to do a better job communicating what we offer to our visitors so they know what to expect, and we are trying to improve in this area.

We've changed our name to Leaming's Run Gardens and Nature Preserve to better reflect that the natural areas of the property are an important part of the tour. The areas of forest that visitors walk through in between the flower gardens provide cooling shade and a chance to view wetland habitat filled with rare native plants, old-growth forest, and one of the biggest cinnamon ferneries in the state.

This year we've improved the path system through the gardens and added more cultivated garden areas filled with flowers to better live up to visitor expectations, while keeping enough access to the natural areas that many visitors also enjoy.

Thank you for your feedback, we are a small family owned operation and we strive to make each garden visit special. I hope you will visit us again this year as we celebrate the garden's 35th anniversary to see the changes we've implemented.

Missie and Gregg Aprill
Owner/Operators
Leaming's Run Gardens
Gibbstown, New Jersey
14 attraction reviews
“A Hidden Gem Needs Visitors!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Leaming's Run Gardens is a wonderful little hidden gem in the seashore area of South Jersey. It seems to be suffering from a lack of patronage, which is a real shame.
Despite the fact I visited shortly after a hurricane came up the East coast, it was still an enjoyable couple hours spent walking through the gardens. It was very peaceful and it wasn't crowded. It was early September so some flowers were past their prime, but still plenty were blooming.
Hummingbirds appeared frequently and were a lot of fun to watch.
I also enjoyed the pond where at first I didn't see the frogs, but once I spotted one, I started seeing lots of them. It was fun photographing them. I could've spent hours there at the pond.
The bamboo section was also aesthetically "cool" and also a lot cooler than out in the sun. It felt like you were in a jungle in some exotic location in there!
I would especially recommend the gardens for anyone who enjoys flowers and quiet places to visit where there probably wouldn't be a lot of children running around.

Visited September 2011