“Cute campground with some problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ponderosa Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape May Court House
Ponderosa Campground
You added Ponderosa Campground to your Saves list
18 Beaver Dam Road, Cape May Court House, NJ 08210   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cute campground with some problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My family and I stayed there last summer. The campground was cute, modern and seemed to be in good shape. The camp store was great and so was the really nice snack bar area. The pool was OK...clean and decent looking but on the small side.The staff was very nice and attentive and there was always someone around cleaning or making repairs. We rented a cabin and while the cabin itself was nice, the location was really bad...on a gravel lot in the bright sun with no trees. This really dissapointed me as it didn't seem like camping without a wooded lot. The other issue we had was the severe biting midges problem they have. These are little flying bugs that look like gnats but bite like crazy and seem immune to OFF and even Cutter. The bugs even swarmed into my kids hair making them itch like crazy and I had to throw them into the shower to give them relief. The bugs seemed worst at the pool and gazebo area...the two areas where the activities were. Finally, since the campground was small, there wasn't much to do. No clubhouse or live music that we seen while we were there.
Overall a nice facility but would not return due to bug problems and lack of fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
laurel lake nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The camp ground was great the two maintenance men are nice and the cleaning maids are so nice. The campground was clean the cabins were clean the bathrooms were clean and they try to give you that how you say camping experience you would look for. I give them my full 100%

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Franklin, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My mom and my aunt love staying at the cabins with the bathroom. We stay at a tent site with water and electric. Manager and guy at Boogie board were very helpful as our alternator died on our minivan. Loved the buffet breakfast, we all enjoyed it. Check in and out was a breeze as usual. I noticed more cabins have been added. Pool was refreshing (but a bit cold). Surprised only one bathhouse open, years ago I thought there were two. Grounds are very well kept. Will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Albany, New York area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in the cabins, which are much cheaper than most hotel rooms in the area. You have to bring your own sheets & towels & soap, but it's worth the price savings. The cabins are clean and quiet; each has an air conditioner, so they're kept cool, and the hum of the a/c is just enough to keep whatever noises might be outside at bay. The mattresses on the beds in the cabins are very uncomfortable, so if you aren't filling up the 3 beds in your cabin, take the extra mattress and put it underneath the mattress you're using and then the beds are just fine. The campground is located close enough to Avalon, Stone Harbor, and Cape May to make it easy. Really, there was only one problem. One evening, we got back to our cabin and the key got stuck in the lock. Nothing that a little WD40 couldn't handle, except that we didn't happen to have WD40 on us, and there was no one at the office and no one to answer the phone all night long. So we had to go to sleep with the key stuck in the door, which meant that we couldn't lock the cabin all night long. No one tried to break in, but still, I didn't feel safe, being unable to lock the door all night. The staff here are all really wonderful, all willing to go the extra mile, whether that means to call you when your cabin is ready to move into or to help you move your belongings from one place to another. I am dinging this place on service because they have no one available overnight (the key got stuck around 10pm) to deal with emergencies. They sell food, but we didn't buy any there, so I can't report on that. They also have a swimming pool on premises.

Room Tip: Having a cabin with a bathroom is worth the difference in price as compared to a cabin without a bat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

we took a cabin with no bathroom because that's all that was left. It was a nice size but you can see the start of some water damage because the a/c is poorly installed.

The common restrooms/showers are really showing age. Rusted sinks and even a bucket under the counter to recuperate water that came from a leak, but the bucket was overflowing!!!

It's also on the edge of a golf club, so expect a lot of noise in the morning or late at night when they take care of the course.

The pool is great though, so the campground is ok if you want to have a place to sleep, but plan to spend most of your time at the beach

• Stayed August 2012
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'll start with the 2 negatives.. I've done camping before but here.. The Mosquitos were no joke.. It is camping so it's expected but bring lots of repellents. The 2nd, I chose to stay in the cabins with bathrooms.. And they cabins are really cute very small but cute.. But the price was too much for what you're getting.. Beds are not very comfy.. I read a review to bring an air bed and so I did.. But overall, my family and I enjoyed it very much we were close to wildwood and went there 2x's during our stay.. The pool was great.. The campgrounds kept clean.. We had absolutely no problems checking in or out.. Would definitely return maybe during the fall (less mosquitos lol).

• Stayed August 2012
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Camping at ponderosa was so easy and fun. We stayed in a cabin with four people and had plenty of room. There was a heated pool and a snackbar on premises and was just a short drive to Avalon NJ. The cabins were clean and the grounds were too A++++

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ponderosa Campground? Share your experiences!