“old world elegance at the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Direct & Save 20%
Ranked #11 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Dahlonega, Georgia
“old world elegance at the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were in Pa. for a summer wedding and I saw an ad for this hotel on line at Sniqueaway. We decided to go for it and go to Cape May in August, Summertime at the Shore. Our first time ever in Cape May. First time at the Virginia hotel.
First off, this is a cute as a button town. The hotel is like an old Victorian home as Cape May is famous for. So note here... although modern in that it has wifi and flatscreens, it is old in that there is no elevator. It is located in a very good spot, 2 minute walk to the beach but the street is one way and you must valet your car which did work out just fine.
On check in , we were greeted warmly and given basic info. Our bags carried up the stairs by the young bellman. We were on the second floor. 2 flights of stairs. If you have trouble with stairs do not get a 3rd floor room. As I heard a few people say after the climb , next time we ask for floor 2. The rooms were so pretty. Great decor. Great comfortable bed and pillows. Quiet. Clean. Again you are looking at an older room but it is still spacious. Breakfast is delivered to your room or the big front veranda. Nice touch. There are free umbrellas and chairs at the beach. Or rent a cabana as we did. You can order lunch to the beach but I suggest Tommy hot dogs across the street. We did eat at the Ebbitt room while there. See my review. It was a great location to all there is to see . Good walking to stores, restaurants, the beach. You really never have to use a car once you park. It was crowded after all its summer. One thing is I thought the room was warm and asked for a fan and there were none available. This was the only flaw in the mix. We loved the deal and are so happy we jumped at this chance. We met very many repeat customers who come back and if I lived closer I would too. The staff is laid back friendly and not in your face . Everyone was very nice and helpful. Make sure you make a reservation to the Ebbitt room or for that matter any restaurant you chose. this hint will save you major hassle if it is summer. Think in advance and book a table anywhere in town! You will have a hassle free vacay that way. Restaurants are uber crowded.

Room Tip: book your restaurants, think of stairs, pre ask for a fan if your a hottie

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Florham Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

As a very picky traveler, I seem to have to write a review on one of my latest travels. I stayed with my mother at the Virginia Hotel in Cape May and was very excited for my stay. It was an A+ from cleanliness and the decor to the service in the morning for breakfast to your room or the veranda. I also enjoyed the complimentary lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach. I love that they have a piano man playing in the evening too! This hotel is in walking distance to all of the shops, restaurants and a half block from the beach. Lastly, you are able to use all of congress halls amenities a block away. Cannot wait to come back next summer!

• Stayed August 2013
Branchburg, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

first time was a groupon...this time not. We do love the virginia, don't get me wrong, and we will visit again but the check in staff needs to be more attentive,more informative, more customer service. This was our first time here in the summer and we were clueless as to the amenities. no warm and fuzzy welcome to the virginia here! But see for yourself....things may change for the better!

Deptford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. I was able to get their hot summer deal special. We were the last guests to arrive that Sunday night. They knew exactly who we were upon checking in. I booked a standard queen room and they gave us a spacious corner room with two full bed. I contacted front desk and they could not accommodate 2 nights with a queen or king. The corner room was quite nice and large so we just opted to stick with it. The first night was a bit noisy. You can easily hear louder guests roaming the hallways. We decided to eat our breakfast on the front porch the next day and it was sufficient for the both of us. I love that they serve La Colombe coffee. Here comes the reason why minus 2 stars. We were give a form to fill out and hand in the night we arrived for lunch at the beach the next day. We gave it to the front desk staff (melissa) before we exited the hotel for dinner that night. The next day before heading to the beach the front desk staff (jessica) ensured us that the hotel staff will find us at the beach and deliver our lunch. We arrived at the beach about noon and waited until 1pm and NO LUNCH DELIVERED. I contacted the hotel and they stated they could not find the form we filled out the night before. SERIOUSLY? We were both aggravated and starving at this point. In the end they gave us 25$ bar credit for drinks. I normally dont' ask for much else but i did. I just felt very upset and wronged. How could the front desk staff lose our form. It's not like there's more than 50 rooms at the hotel. The manager that they comped us with a 50$ food credit at the hotel. There wasn't much else we could do; we didn't want to ruin our mini vacation. We used our hotel credit and ordered food and drinks at the front porch that evening. The food and drinks were great. I highly recommend the tapas if you don't want to do a complete dinner at the Ebbitt Room.

I am highly disappointed with the staff of The Virginia Hotel. Melissa and Jessica are not very welcoming members of the staff. They lack knowledge of simple hotel issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with our dining experience at the Virginia Hotel. We have been coming to Cape May for years and never ate here. Our server Vince was very pleasant and very good at explaining the menu. The dining room had a great atmosphere with the bar on the side with a piano player. We had our wine on the porch watching the folks wander through town and an occasional horse and buggy going by. We will definitely come back here next summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a long and detailed review but I wanted to share a real experience staying at this hotel (which I really wanted to like) but can't now that I've stayed there. Overall while I liked the property a lot and enjoyed the location and comfort of the room, I would not return for the reasons I mentioned below. I simply did not find the guest experience inviting and the hotel staff did not make me feel that I will miss coming back to Cape May or the Virginia Hotel! I didn't like that there was no concierge at the property. I was really disappointed when asking to make restaurant reservations that the front desk just gave me the numbers and said "it's better if you call them yourself.” I was not impressed at all with the friendliness of staff. For a luxury boutique hotel I expected much more attentiveness that I've experienced it in other properties but not so much here where most staff seem to be a bit passive, rarely smile and don't ask about the guest's experience at any given point in time or whether they (the guest) needs anything.

An example of the incompetence was that we ran out of the hotel-provided hair conditioner in the room and for 2 days housekeeping never bothered to replace their own empty bottles, in fact they even left them as is, empty, in the shower for two days. We repeatedly asked by phone and twice directly at the front desk to send some to the room and it never happened until I really complained to the front desk and then immediately she pulled out extra ones from a box and gave them to me in my hand as I was supposed to walk out and enjoy the day, instead of sending them up to the room!! Not what I expect from a property like this! The Virginia is branded as a a boutique hotel so these things should not happen. Also, I tried to make reservations at the Ebbit Room when I first arrived and was told (apparently by the manager) that there were no tables available for my entire 4 day stay that accommodates my preferred dinner time or at least +/-1 hour, subsequently I was able to find a timeslot with ease on OpenTable as soon as I went to the room! But I refuse to dine there after being put off already.

Beach service was also served by some (not all) lazy staff who are not very active in helping guests setup at the beach. We were trying to find a spot where we could sit and the guy kept telling us with a tone that we can’t go there or it’s too crowded here, but then when other guests came they apparently set them up where we originally wanted and it wasn’t a problem at all. Also, we would never order any food from the beach menu which was absurdly expensive and I really don’t usually bother too much about the cost of food! But $75 for a burger & fries, chicken salad and some guacamole and juice is mad especially when none of it tasted good and everything was dry and overcooked.

Something else that I thought would be a given in Cape May with all the B&Bs around is to have a good breakfast. Well, the earlier comments I read about the breakfast options were right. It was disappointing to see a breakfast selection which was very limited and doesn't offer much while also restricting each guest to x number of items per person whether its drinks, pastry or whatever. In Cape May where every other hotel is a B&B I was shocked to see the Virginia be so limiting in its breakfast selection and instead inviting guests to have breakfast at the Mad Batter on their own expense (which by the way is also extremely crowded and impossible to find a table with the rush of non-resident customers). Overall, the only thing we really enjoyed was the location/proximity to the beach and downtown area and also staying the Virginia Room which is spacious and also has a very nice balcony to sit outside in the morning and evening hours.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Jackson St. are roomy and nice but very noisy especially at night and people are co...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am a frequent visitor at both Congress Hall and the Virginia Hotel. The last time, however, we stayed in the Red Cottage, particularly the Windjammer room. Its a tiny room, facing the back of other houses. Unlike what the photos may suggest, you do NOT have access to any living area other than the very small room with the antiquated plumbing in the bath. When we asked why we couldn't go into the living area, we were told we would have to rent out the entire cottage. Its still the same linens and such, but for the money, no thanks.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the cottage...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Virginia Hotel? Share your experiences!