“Beautiful, upscale, and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #9 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful, upscale, and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We only had time to spend a night at the Virginia, but are already planning to go back next year (and budget more vacation time for a longer stay!).

It's an absolutely beautiful place, very tastefully done. From the minute we were greeted at the front desk I felt welcome and well taken care of-- the staff manages to be friendly and helpful but also unobtrusive-- I didn't feel like I do in some small places, where I felt like I had to explain to the front desk where I was going or apologize for coming in late!

It's a nice size-- small enough to feel special, large enough to have privacy. The bar downstairs served us delicious cocktails-- we didn't try the restaurant, but we will when we have more time.

We especially enjoyed the breakfast served to us on a silver tray on the veranda (included in the price-- you place your order the night before and leave it hanging on the doorknob, and the next morning it magically appears where/when you requested to have it!). Sitting on the porch with a carafe of coffee and a complimentary coffee of the New York Times, while listening to gulls and feeling the sea breeze, really felt like a break from the world.

Our room was lovely-- good size, very quiet, lots of natural light, great linens, and a great shower with three shower heads. It's not period decorations (thank goodness) but it's in keeping with the grand old house feel.

The location is very, very good-- the beach is at the end of the street, you are right in town, and there is free parking for guests very close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in the Turret Room of the Red Cottage, allowing for an entire floor's worth of privacy during our visit to sleepy Cape May, NJ. We were welcomed at the front desk with a friendly smile, warm chocolate chip cookies and complimentary valet parking. The property's location is ideal for visitors wanting to explore the (somewhat touristy) business district. We considered dinner/drinks in the hotel's restaurant, The Ebbet Room, but decided otherwise due to its limited vegetarian offerings and the plethora of dining options within walking distance. While the ocean view is literally a "peek", the charm of this B&B-like house is worth the experience. Oh, and the made-to-order in-room breakfast was personally delivered and arrived hot & fresh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Somers Point, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Love this place is wonderful I been going every year for the past 5 years, sometimes 2 times a year is just great!!! Is my special place and I really look forward to my little get away...me and my fiancée come every year and have our special room with a balcony that is so romantic and cozy... I just never want to leave when I come there... Is like being transported to the Victorian times just magical...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The Virginia was lovely. The rooms were nicely decorated and spotless. Service was fantastic. I would recommend getting a room away from the side though, we could hear people throwing bottles into the garbage very late at night. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband, parents and I spent a couple of nights at the Virginia and really enjoyed the ambiance of the lobby and sitting areas. Decor is very tasteful and restful, location is excellent for walking to the shops of the beach, just a block either way. Rooms are spacious and well appointed but there is no elevator which was hard on my parents. The staff is extremely helpful with luggage and questions. Our only complaint was that the water temperature keeps changing during showers--issues with older plumping, I guess.

Room Tip: Room 209 with two doubles is very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rio Grande, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to play tourist and take a short trip to Cape May and spend the night at the Virginia, we were greeted promptly by Lance at the front desk and he offered an upgraded room which was appreciated but we passed since it was just a quick getaway and we weren't going to be spending a lot of time in the room. We met Gina and Helen at the Ebbitt Room Lounger, 2 very friendly and knowledgeable bartenders who took pride in their work, and were quite efficient as the place was quite busy, I highly recommend the Innis and Gunn Beer they have here, terrific. As for the room, it had a queen sized bed which I was a little concerned by at first as I am quite tall, but found it perfectly comfortable with room to spare!! The location can't be beat, less than a block from the beach in one direction, and the Washington Street Mall in the other. This place has a always had a buzz about it, now I know why, we really enjoyed it, they even set you up with complementary continental breakfast in the morning!! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Place is adults only, bedding was the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My grown daughters and I wanted to visit Cape May for a quiet weekend and a little bonding time. I am so glad we chose to stay at the Virginia Hotel! In addition to the large, comfy bed the room easily accomodated a sleeper sofa which was also very comfortable. There were plenty of pillows, towels, and a nice assortment of bath products. Complimentary continental breakfast could have been served in our room but we chose the downstairs sitting room with a crackling fire for the cool Spring mornings. The beach, shops and many restaurants were all within walking distance - we loved the food at YB Eats and Tisha's, especially. In the evenings we enjoyed a glass of wine served on the front porch and at night, we walked the two blocks to Congress Hall and listened to live music. It was the perfect combination of fun and relaxation!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Virginia Hotel? Share your experiences!