“Quaint and Private Beach Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 20% OFF Room Rates
Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
“Quaint and Private Beach Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in the Turret Room of the Red Cottage, allowing for an entire floor's worth of privacy during our visit to sleepy Cape May, NJ. We were welcomed at the front desk with a friendly smile, warm chocolate chip cookies and complimentary valet parking. The property's location is ideal for visitors wanting to explore the (somewhat touristy) business district. We considered dinner/drinks in the hotel's restaurant, The Ebbet Room, but decided otherwise due to its limited vegetarian offerings and the plethora of dining options within walking distance. While the ocean view is literally a "peek", the charm of this B&B-like house is worth the experience. Oh, and the made-to-order in-room breakfast was personally delivered and arrived hot & fresh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Somers Point, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Love this place is wonderful I been going every year for the past 5 years, sometimes 2 times a year is just great!!! Is my special place and I really look forward to my little get away...me and my fiancée come every year and have our special room with a balcony that is so romantic and cozy... I just never want to leave when I come there... Is like being transported to the Victorian times just magical...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

The Virginia was lovely. The rooms were nicely decorated and spotless. Service was fantastic. I would recommend getting a room away from the side though, we could hear people throwing bottles into the garbage very late at night. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband, parents and I spent a couple of nights at the Virginia and really enjoyed the ambiance of the lobby and sitting areas. Decor is very tasteful and restful, location is excellent for walking to the shops of the beach, just a block either way. Rooms are spacious and well appointed but there is no elevator which was hard on my parents. The staff is extremely helpful with luggage and questions. Our only complaint was that the water temperature keeps changing during showers--issues with older plumping, I guess.

Room Tip: Room 209 with two doubles is very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rio Grande, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to play tourist and take a short trip to Cape May and spend the night at the Virginia, we were greeted promptly by Lance at the front desk and he offered an upgraded room which was appreciated but we passed since it was just a quick getaway and we weren't going to be spending a lot of time in the room. We met Gina and Helen at the Ebbitt Room Lounger, 2 very friendly and knowledgeable bartenders who took pride in their work, and were quite efficient as the place was quite busy, I highly recommend the Innis and Gunn Beer they have here, terrific. As for the room, it had a queen sized bed which I was a little concerned by at first as I am quite tall, but found it perfectly comfortable with room to spare!! The location can't be beat, less than a block from the beach in one direction, and the Washington Street Mall in the other. This place has a always had a buzz about it, now I know why, we really enjoyed it, they even set you up with complementary continental breakfast in the morning!! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Place is adults only, bedding was the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel!!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My grown daughters and I wanted to visit Cape May for a quiet weekend and a little bonding time. I am so glad we chose to stay at the Virginia Hotel! In addition to the large, comfy bed the room easily accomodated a sleeper sofa which was also very comfortable. There were plenty of pillows, towels, and a nice assortment of bath products. Complimentary continental breakfast could have been served in our room but we chose the downstairs sitting room with a crackling fire for the cool Spring mornings. The beach, shops and many restaurants were all within walking distance - we loved the food at YB Eats and Tisha's, especially. In the evenings we enjoyed a glass of wine served on the front porch and at night, we walked the two blocks to Congress Hall and listened to live music. It was the perfect combination of fun and relaxation!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Getting away from the Central Jersey Shore (ravaged by Sandy) and heading just a little south to Exit 0 was like being a world away. The first nice weekend of this spring made it even more eventful. All the shops & restaurants & events open as if summer had arrived. We usually stay at Congress Hall, but decided on one of its other properties - The Virginia. We built the stay around our dinner Sat nite at the Ebbitt Room. It was extra nice that The Virginia was offering a 2 nite special inclu a voucher towards the dinner. We were greeted by an attentive desk and eventually the valet. Parking is 'free' on the streets until May 1 by the way. But valet is so much easier and more convenient. The car was ready at any time within a few minutes. They park it at Congress Hall. The 'Spa Room' was very nice - considered mid-size room - but as with all old houses that is a relative term. Limited breakfast served at your choosing. Hotel is walking distance to pretty much everything though. The staff was quite nice especially at the front desk. It seems that at happy hour, though, they were a little overwhelmed - but they did apologize for the inconvenience. You can share all of the amenities of both Hotels - which means the pool, gym, etc. No elevators, but you would know that prior to booking. Tip: We stayed in the "Shower Spa; room. It is offset from the room within the bathroom, which is nice. The shower has 3 heads with a rain head. The hot water is very hot - which is quite nice, but be careful. Shower fills with steam, but when you step out into bathroom - not even the mirror is fogged - very nice

Room Tip: .Tip: keep the AC on to drown out any exterior noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Virginia Hotel? Share your experiences!