“I happened upon this unique hotel and am enchanted by it” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Up to 20% OFF Room Rates
Ranked #12 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
lattingtown
“I happened upon this unique hotel and am enchanted by it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have been a visitor to Cape May since I was a small child. Who would have known that 40 years later, I have come back to a place in time that has changed so little?............. The Virginia hotel is the place to stay.........Fantastic experience! Wonderful accommodations, phenomenal cuisine with a relaxed upscale vibe. Just returned after my second visit. Have re-booked for next month...............Ask for the Virginia or The Jackson rooms for maximum enjoyment and privacy.................... The complimentary breakfast is delicious and abundant. Love the cheddar cheese biscuits !! The Ebbitt Room turns out PHENOMENAL fare............. every table occupied this past Friday and Saturday................. The staff is exceptional. Warm and kind. Rooms are nicely appointed. Have the chocolates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have the complimentary hot chocolate and cookies as well on weekends!!!!!!!!! Love this hotel!

Room Tip: Virginia or Jackson rooms. Outside balcony with cushioned lounge chairs and great second story views...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Old-school Inn, reminiscent of a European pension, in central Cape May location. Do not book rooms 101 or 102, unless you want all the ambience of an IRT subway running beneath you. Very loud, vibrating laundry facility appears to be housed under the first floor. The bathroom floor literally shakes during the spin cycle. Heating unit (assuming it is also the air conditioning unit) is very noisy when it goes on/off. Rooms are small, very few electric outlets (be prepared to charge your electronics in the bathroom), with very dim lighting not conducive to reading. Very simple Continental breakfast provided to your room. On the positive side, the location is excellent, fireplace in the common room is delightful during cooler months and the Lemonade porch/veranda looks like it would be nice during the summer, attractive little bar/dining room. There are so many lovely places in Cape May, you would do better to investigate other options.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors, front facing is best as buildings are very close so only views are to the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our Presidents weekend stay. Service was good and the morning continental breakfast delivery to our room was a nice touch. The restaurant was fabulous and piano playing Sat night made things lively and conveniently kept us inside during a cold snow flurry weekend. The room was nice and the hotel is close to beach, stores and sister property, Congress hall (check out Blue Pig for lunch). Things were quiet in town but Cape May has more going on in the winter than most shore towns. I can't wait to go back in the summer.

• Stayed February 2013
Berlin, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had not booked a room when we arrived at cape may. We were undecided between a b&b or a hotel.. As we walked down the street, during a kind do dreary, cold & drizzly day, we saw the virgina hotel, and decided to check it out. As we walked in the ambiance is what did it for me. It was nicely lit, and decorated, looked classy and chic, and the warm fire in the lobby made me feel right at home. We booked a room, at a reasonable price, and were happy to find a really nice, clean, and beautiful & spacious room. We didn't have a chance to dine at the restaurant on site, but we did order from the continental breakfast menu. I was really happy with the breakfast, and even happier to see that the fresh fruit, eggs and honey were all from a nearby farm. How cool! I went and visited the farm during another trip, it was nice and had a self guided tour! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxurious place to stay in cape may!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed for one night, Saturday of the January long weekend, as a quick getaway from New York and to see a new area. Like someone else said the the hotel is a cross between a B&B and a swanky hotel. Valet parking is a nice touch and its good you can choose where and when you want breakfast but the restaurant downstairs is quite expensive and there are very few alternative options for places to go in winter. Our dinner was good but trying too hard - too much seasoning on the steak and tiny sides of vegetables which they didnt even apologize for when we complained.
The town is really pretty and I imagine it would be crazy busy in summer. If I was to go back in summer I would probably stay in more of an apartment than here but it was a nice option for one night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Elmhurst, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend of Jan. 25-27th 2013. First of all don't come to this area during the winter because there is hardly anything to do. It looked liked a ghost town when we arrived on Friday. The hotel was cute and clean. Liked the hot chocolate on Friday when we got there, but they did not have it on Saurday. The room was ok.Bed was comfortable. I feel like it was way overpriced for the winter season. The restaurant in the hotel was expensive as well. Had to go out of Cape May to find a diner to eat in. The hotel has complimentary continental breakfast that they delivered to your room( which was nice , we did not have to get dressed to get breakfast) Only thing is that you are not really allowed to pick as much as you want from the menu ( not so nice). My husband was starving 2 hours later.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Unfortunately, our stay at the Virginia Hotel was very short. My husband and I got there around 6:00 p.m. Thursday night and had to leave by 9:30 the next morning, but regardless of the quick stop, we still very much enjoyed our stay.

The Virginia Hotel offers a nice combination of a quaint B&B mixed with a modern feel. Our room was bit basic, but nice. I’m sure there are nicer rooms, but because our stay was so short, we opted for one of their more inexpensive choices. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was large with three shower heads. I was also happy to see that their complimentary toiletries were Bvlgari, which is a favorite of mine!

After checking in, my husband and I had pre-dinner cocktails at the bar in the Ebbit Room. The bar area is very cozy and the bartender was friendly. There is also a lounge area with a fireplace where you can enjoy your drinks. We wanted to have dinner at the Ebbit Room, but because it was a Thursday night during slow season, they were only offering their bar menu. We instead made reservations at the Peter Shields Inn, about a mile away, which was excellent. We were served breakfast in our room the next morning, which was complimentary. Breakfast was a bit limited, but good; although, they did forget part of my husband’s order.

I would definitely recommend the Virginia Hotel and we’re hoping to be back for a longer stay. I’m sure it’s beautiful closer to Christmas. Overall, the Virginia Hotel was very cozy and is within walking distance to both the Washington Street Mall and the beach.

I only have a couple of minor complaints about the hotel. The walls were very thin and sometimes we could hear the muffled conversations of the people next door. Also, there is no parking lot, so you must park on the street. Even during the slow season, we had to park down the street. However, I do believe they have valet parking during the busier seasons. Also, there are no elevators. This was not an issue for me and my husband, but may be for someone who has difficulty walking.

Regardless of those minor issues, we’re looking forward to our trip back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Virginia Hotel? Share your experiences!