“Good, basic hotel” 3 of 5 stars

1045 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #26 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
“Good, basic hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our 7 and 9 year old kids for a long weekend. The room was comfortable and clean in the main part of the hotel. We had a balcony which helped give us more space and it was nice to overlook the ocean. We spent an afternoon at the outdoor pool and enjoyed the steel drum music (and the bar).

The location - right across from the beach - was great, though the walk got a little long for my younger kid to get to "the town" and restaurants. One night we ate at the restaurant (Hemingways)- the food was ok but not great for the price, and the service was not very good. However it had a nice atmosphere and we were happy to just head upstairs to our room after a fun and tiring day.

My parents also stayed at the hotel that weekend- their room was an efficiency and they were very happy with it.

It is not fancy, but it is comfortable, and we were happy there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great Times at The Grand Hotel.... For the money it was a very nice place to stay would I do it again not sure because i dont like to go to the same place twice....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Glen Rock, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Grand is a perfect location right on Beach Avenue opposite the entrance to the beach. With both an indoor and outdoor pool this is a perfect place for anyone who loves to swim. I could have spent all day in the pool, it's beautiful and the water was an ideal temperature. I just wish it was open longer, closing the pool at 7 in summer seems early. I was glad that we booked a room with a mini-kitchen. With all the wonderful restaurants in Cape May we were able to heat up left overs from dinner and have lunch the next day. Rooms and pool areas were clean. The outside areas, around staircases and the patio areas needed to be swept more frequently. Too many cigarette butts on the ground.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oostburg, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

This was my first trip to Cape May, and I searched and searched for the right location. My first several choices were not available. I searched The Grand Hotel (GH) web site and search for 3 people it returned results for a King Size bed with an Ocean view. I called the hotel to confirm that this room would work with our 6 year old daughter. The man said yes, and was about to tell me more when I was abruptly put on hold. After several minutes (6 min) I hung up and made the reservation online.

At check in, the women behind the counter was busy talking to the customer and hotel staff next to me. She checked me in confirmed I had a 2 adults and 1 child. Gave me the key and handed me a sheet a paper. Told me I should read it, as it has important stuff about the hotel. Then she processed to help the customer next to me that was already being helped. I didn't know where to park, where my room was located, what services were offered with my $300 a night. I finally got her attention to ask where to park because the lot was full.
When we got to the room, I noticed there was no cot, or pull out coach. So I called the front desk. Instead of getting a polite, we can get that for you right away but there will be an extra charge, I heard.... Well you booked this online and it says the room is for 2. Well I search for a room for 2 adults and 1 child. To that I was told I should have read the description. They can bring a cot but it's $20 a day, and if I want it I would need to come back to the front desk to pay for it.

Really? You can't just charge it to my room? First you were rude on check in, then you tell me I should have read, and now you want me to walk back to your front desk.

Finally that evening I read the "required" hotel information and found out the Trolley stops at the hotel and we can get free tickets from the Hotels. We went back to the front desk to get more information later that evening, we had a little better luck.

Besides the rude and disrespectful staff, the beds were horrible uncomfortable. The laundry room was not secured so we used the local laundry mat in town. It was much nicer.

My advice, find a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Leechburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

ocean view room had a view of a glass structure. had to wait for coffee every morning. music in the lobby is from a bad movie, and employees clearly could have cared less about anything. too far away from the main attractions and town

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well title tells it all. We were vendors for a wedding this weekend and this hotel staff (front desk/reservations and managers of) seem clueless on customer service and wedding sense.
Nice looking place and across from beach. I guess that's why they think they can treat people like crap.
I called this hotel for a room, asked if they had a wedding rate or vendor rate. One person said hay didn't BUT had a room for a decent rate. Put me on hold someone else picked up and rate was never available. .
I asked for manager and got hung p on. Manager returned one of my 3 calls to almost scold me. poor attitude. God what does it take to say no sorry or....

I'll leave at this.......If how people talk and treat you does not matter, stay here.

Funny thing I deal with brides that ask about hotels to have a wedding at in Cape May from time to time. Never here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Our experience at the Grand was excellent. This is a perfect little beach hotel, built 'back-in-the-day' and obviously redone in all the right places. The check-in process was quick and painless (yeah, so she wasn't fake and all smiles - she was quick and pleasant). The room was clean - smelled like it was cleaned, carpet was in great shape. We had two sinks - one outside the bathroom and one in the bathroom. We had a refrigerator, microwave. I was able to use whatever counter space i had for my daughters bottles and baby feeding stuff, and my husband's toiletries. My toiletries hung in a travel bag in the bathroom - why am i telling you this? Because you need to understand that this place is great - your experience is what you make of it. Some people expect too much.
OTHER POINTS - Pool was fine except for another guest deciding to poop in the pool. Hotel is across the street from the beach. Perfect. Walking/Trolley distance to town. Daily maid service - excellent. Let them do their job. YOU MUST EAT AT HEMINGWAYS - I felt like I was eating fine dining every night. They DO NOT charge for ice. There is a coin slot near the machine but if you press the button for ice without paying - THE ICE WILL COME OUT!!! Our room was on the second floor - at check in they asked us what floor we preferred - I said second - just in case there was elevator troubles. No elevator troubles during my stay. No room service. No coffee in room - BUT - If you ASK, Hemingways has a small 'take away' coffee cart behind the hostess' stand. It was there EVERY morning. I'm not sure what they charged just for coffee or refills- but since we had breakfast there, it was part of the breakfast buffet. AND the MOST important to me - this place is VERY CHILD FRIENDLY!!! The staff couldn't be more accomodating @ the restaurant or elsewhere. If you had a bad experience, sorry - but dont ruin it for anyone else.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!