“last resort” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“last resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

When I booked a room for June 29th there were no vacancies in the area and the Grand had 2. So I had no choice. Little did I know when we got down to Cape May there were plenty of vacancies all along beach ave which is a whole other review. As far as the Grand is I think paying $240 for 1 night in a room with a view of giant exhaust fans is a bit much.The morning coffee and tea in the lobby ran out by 9am and I don't think was ever replenished. It could use upgrading as far as the rooms are concerned. Maybe start with the pre-historic televisions. If this is the only place available you could do worse.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife I celebrated our Forty Sixth anniversary with our friends,on June third for the three day special.The staff were great at the the front desk they took care of are needs and made us feel at home, at Hemingway's the food was great,it was avery enjoyable three days. We told them we would be back in September for another mini vacation. Tom & Lorraine

Room Tip: The rooms we had on the south side was nice next visit I would like to try another room.
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had our wedding here on 6/9/13. It was absolutely amazing! It was more then we could of ever imagined. There was not one detail that had me disappointed. The wedding coordinator Katlyn is so friendly and easy to work with. The food was great and the service was spectacular! The rooms were clean and a good size. The honeymoon sweet was awesome. We can't wait to go back to visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our first stay at The Grand. Typically, we stayed elsewhere but opted for the Grand mostly because of the indoor pool, and thanks to the weather, we got a good amount of use out of it! The outdoor pool was also great. The only drawback for the week was the noise and parking lot upgrades that were happening. But, the staff offered complimentary drinks to everyone at the pool during the construction as an 'apology' for the noise. The hotel was very family friendly, and the staff always had a friendly smile. We will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you are looking for a 5 Star hotel with all the amenities then look elsewhere. If you want a good nights rest, quaint appointments, a clean bathroom and the best price on the Cape, then stay here at The Grand Hotel on W. Beach Ave. This is an old hotel, actually probably two old hotels that they melded into one. It seemed to be styled straight out of the "Roaring 20's" but that added to that Cape May charm. We also had an ocean view with a balcony which was nice. The AC in the room got cold and the TV worked fine. There was a safe in the night stand that worked. (Digital style) There was also a fridge that was cold. Plenty of storage and a closet for anything you would need to hang. We spent our time on the Cape and the Beach, not in the hotel so this was the perfect place at the right price. We would definately go here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms. Exterior rooms have balconies. The beach is across the street and the sh...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Me and my fiancee wanted to have a weekend trip at the and of may 2013. She found a deal through out online. We drove there.
We ve been expecting spending time at the beach but unfortunately it was extremely windy. So we only had a chance to walk around, rent a bike.
The room was very clean and neat when we got there. Everything was working properly A/C, microwave, TV etc. etc. Okay here is the interesting part; It was the first night of our stay there around 1:30 - 2:00 can`t quite remember me and my fiancee was having trouble sleeping.
My eyes were closed then i felt something was standing staring at me but i diddn`t dare to open my eyes. I felt shiver for a moment. We kept trying to sleep. Then we fall asleep. I don`t know how long it passed something startled us we realized that it was my fiancee` s purse the purse had a metal chain and the metal part hit the dressers glass surface. So this is exactly what happened that night, nothing happened the second night some people might think that it`s a coincidence but that purse was sitting there all day long nothing happened. I guess something or someone tried to take our attention.
Anyways except this creepy experience grand hotel is a good place to stay. Prices might be cheaper though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
John A, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Kronos,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel during your recent stay. I am sorry that the weather could not have been better for your visit. Our indoor pool is always available for those few days a year where an inside activity can be the highlight of your day at the beach. The water is always 86 degrees and the hot tub is over 100 degrees for your enjoyment. Your option to choose touring historic Victorian Cape May is also a fantastic way to appreciate our small town charm.

We appreciate your kind comments about our cleanliness and consistency of our guest room amenities. It is very important to us here at the Grand to make every guest's day at the beach the best it can be.

As the new general manager, the notes of your "ghostly" experience is the first that I have heard since my arrival 4 months ago. I have spoken to several long term staff members who have over 30 years of dedicated service to the hotel and they also are very surprised by your uninvited guest.

The Grand was built 1971 and has undergone many renovations through the years. Being oceanfront I do not believe we are located on a significant area that may invite unexpected visits.

There is a local gentleman who investigate paranormal activities and if you send me your name and the room number if you recall I will be happy to contact them to follow-up. If you are interested I can also send you their report to verify or not the presence of a spirit.

You can directly e-mail me: allison@grandcapemay.com or call 609-884-5611 ext. 523

In the meantime, if I can be of further assistance and/or make your next reservation with us, please do not hesitate to ask.

Beach e-Regards,

John R. Allison
Grand Hotel
Oceanfront in Cape May, NJ
New Castle, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

When checking in i confirmed a Ocean Front Room - after I got to the room it was not ocean front but ocean view - they said i could upgrade to the Townhouse for an additional $90.. I viewed the townhouse and indeed it was ocean front, two story but the beds were smaller as was the bathroom and the room had an odor to it so i decided to stay in the original room.

The room was clean with the exception of stains on the carpet.. The bed and sofa were comfortable. Since it was raining I decided to check out the indoor pool and hot tub - the hot tub was not hot and full of kids - not very relaxing - the area itself was spacious and clean and the lounge chairs very comfortable.

On the last day of my visit, i decided to have breakfast at the hotel.. the buffett was nice and offered a variety of food all of which i sampled was delish!

I went back to the room to change to head to the beach, finally some sun! I was approached by the city and was asked to pay $6 to enjoy the beach for the day! Say WHAT?? I packed up and went to lay by the pool until it was time to check out.

Once arriving back to my room to pack up and leave, there was a roach crawling up the wall! Needless to say I wont be back to this hotel or Cape May New Jersey!!

I will stick with the DE beaches - New Jerssey can keep their shores!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear "Good for the Soul",

We appreciate you choosing the Grand Hotel for your journey to the Jersey Shore. As you have recently discovered our side of the Delaware, I also have just started to explore your side as well. I would love to share my experiences with you of your home state. Surprising we may agree they are more alike than not. I will have to lobby that our beaches are second to none, but we can respectfully disagree on that point! Yes, at this point there are fees to visit the beach but our governor is proposing changes to make every beach free in New Jersey! We are supporting him to make this "visitor friendly" change happen soon.

As the new general manager here at the Grand I am listening everyday to our guests and thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding our room type descriptions. It has always been my goal to under promise and over deliver and this is very important when we describe our resort property. Oceanfront, oceanview, beachfront, beach block are all terms used to try to explain in words room type locations and as you know each hotel sees their property a little differently on how they are positioned relative to the waterfront location.

In fact, we offer descriptions of a few rooms that we have in our inventory that state "no oceanviews" and yet when guests check-in they are surprised to find that there are partial views of the ocean. This is just one of our commitments to not to over promise our room type offerings.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding our guestroom cleanliness and value in the restaurant. As you noted along with couples getaways we also host family vacations and have found there's a good balance and compliment between all of our customers who stay with us. I have witnessed since my arrival that the hot tub is very popular during the day to everyone and in the evenings is more desirable for adults.

I have notified our Director of Housekeeping to immediately inspect and make the proper adjustments to our scheduled preventative care to also include daily inspection to ensure that every rooms is perfect. You have my commitment to improve our consistency in this area.

Hopefully you will have a "change of heart" & reconsider visiting us again in the future. I promise I will do what ever I can to make your stay the best yet!

(NJ) Beach e-Regards,

John R. Allison
Grand Hotel
Oceanfront in Cape May, NJ
allison@grandcapemay.com
609-884-5611 ext. 523

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!