“Old. Really Old.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Old. Really Old.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We chose this hotel because my husband stayed here with his family when he was a kid. It was an okay experience if you look past the fact that everything is basically used up and needs to be remodeled. The bed was okay, but the pillows were really lumpy. It was hard to sleep on them, so I finally gave up and didn't use a pillow at all. The bathroom was decently clean, but things were rusty and yucky looking. To be fair, this IS a really old hotel, and I simply prefer clean-and-new when it comes to staying away from home. I suppose if you don't mind the downside of these things, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
John A, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Annabelle,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay here in Cape May, we appreciate your business.
It's great that you have the opportunity to travel to the Grand Hotel to relive past memories with your husband and his time here as a child. Hopefully his memories are all good of both the resort and our seashore town.

The Grand Hotel is in fact a landmark in Cape May for many generations of families, wedding celebrations, reunions and other types of gatherings at our oceanfront. Through the years the ownership has diligently made efforts to renovate and repair all the facilities within reasonable means. This process unfortunately takes years not days and an aggressive capital budget while maintaining the service standards and year 'round staffing required to continue to improve our reputation as a great place to stay & play.

With this said, as the new general manager here at the Grand Hotel, I am excited about all the new improvements happening as I write this note to you, in the coming months and years ahead. What I am most encouraged about is the "friendliness & cleanliness", which you experienced, that comes from a staff of hospitality professionals dedicated to making your stay the best it can be.

While we are focused on continual improvements it does not excuse our performance during your stay with regards to lumpy pillows and less than shiny bathroom fixtures. Since your review was posted I have reviewed your comments with our Director of Housekeeping to make certain we inspect every bed, pillow and bathroom to make certain we are consistent with our inspections to provide quality products and services.

And at the end of the day, I can agree with your last words in your review, we are ..."a great place to stay"

If I can every be of assistance in helping you plan a return visit to the Grand Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me at feedback@grandcapemay.com.

Beach e-Regards,

John Allison
Grand Hotel
Oceanfront in Cape May, NJ

572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We chose to stay at the nearby Grand Hotel for Easter with my sister and her children. We both chose 2 room King Efficiency rooms. The rooms were very clean, the King bed and pillows were comfortable. The pull out sofa was actually comfortable for the kids. They loved having their own tv to watch. The bathroom was clean. It was nice to have an extra lighted vanity with mirror and sink outside of the bathroom. There was a small stovetop, refrigerator and microwave in the room( we did not use). The main reason we chose this hotel was for the heated indoor pool for the children. They had a great time swimming. The water was warm, however, the chlorine fumes were very strong. By the end of the night, the children's eyes were red and swollen. Maybe the pool room needs better ventilation. The kids also enjoyed playing in the small game room. A huge plus for us was the rooftop courtyard right outside of our room. We were in a section with mostly families and all of the kids had a great time running and playing on this turf courtyard. We would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Lorrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I had a last min. opportunity to stay in Cape May and a night at the Grand Hotel. The hotel does not disappoint on cleanliness and the location is terrific. You can walk a few blocks to the center of town from here. There seems to be ample parking surrounding the buildings - at least in off season anyway. The front desk people are very nice, very accommodating. The entrance to the hotel was a bit confusing. The hotel is quite large and the office is not marked. There is a covered drive up, but it's hard to differentiate if you are looking at two hotels or just one, because the design on half of the property doesn't match the other. I was separated from my other party so I didn't get a room in the main hotel. I schlepped up the stairs in the outer portion. Not sure if that outer portion surrounding the pool has an elevator to the upper floor or not, so be sure to ask if you make a reservation and steps are a problem. Also, my unit was nicely equipped with a clean kitchen, little coffee maker, etc., but there was no coffee set up. A call to the front desk enabled me to get some coffee and creamer, etc., so if it's not there, ask for it. I'm thinking in off-season it's just not there unless requested. This is a little thing, but the toilet had no lid on it and the bathroom provided basically zero space to put down your morning routine items. Not having a toilet seat was weird and awkward and was kind of like being in a service station. Really, really did not like that and kept fearing I would drop an item in the toilet (especially considering there was no vanity sink space to put anything down). Putting on makeup, hair dryer, brush was a bit of a challenge. That and the only other discomfort was the bed was FAR too hard for me. If you must have a Sheraton type of 'cushiony' bed, then you ask before you go if there are other options. It was like a rock so I did not get a great night's sleep. Not enough to keep me from going back, because sleeping outside of your own bed is never going to be as comfortable. All in all, despite the little hiccups, it was a nice stay and I would return. Off season rates were pretty good, but do your homework.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main hotel with the elevator, restaurant, coffee right in the lobby. Otherwise...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Grand Hotel for four and a half months, courtesy of FEMA, just getting home today. Even though we were with FEMA, we were treated like we were renting one of the penthouses. We felt like family, and it was sad to say goodbye. Everyone did their best to make us feel at home, from the front desk ( debbie, the manager was amazing, and couldn't do enough for us, she seems to really know her stuff, and Christy became a friend also, always making us feel at home, and lots of joking around ) the restaurant has excellent food, at reasonable prices, but it was the bartenders that kept us coming back. Janet is exceptional, and also became a good friend. I recommend this hotel highly. I will go back " Home " very soon !!!

• Stayed November 2012
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Took a 3 day 2 night trip to Cape May for Spring break. Needed to get out of the house. We got a G room (2 room suite with 2 beds, 2 convertible couches, small kitchen, free wifi etc) on the 4th floor. The room was fine. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom and kitchen were clean. Everything worked. There was lots of room for the 4 us which was great since it rained/snowed all three days we were there. The balcony did give us an ocean view but it wasn't a private balcony. No big deal.

The heated indoor pool is large and clean and saved us from going a little stir crazy.

The people were all very nice and helpful. The music they played in the lobby made me feel like I was back in the 60s but we didn't spend much time there anyway.

I do not know if it was the weather but Cape May in March was much deader than I expected. Almost nothing was open. On the bright side we didn't have to wait in any lines at the restaurants.

The best part is that in the off season they had a $69/night weekday special for our room. Awesome.

Room Tip: Our 4th floor G room had a nice view of the beach and was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

As with any hotel you can find things that don't look perfect but overall it is a beautiful hotel. The pool was 86', huge, and goes up to 9 ft deep. The hot tub is a good size and it was so relaxing on a chilly winter day. Our bed was comfy and the sofa bed mattress was a good quality. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The Rhapsody package was a great deal and the food at Hemmingway's was excellent! We had Filet Mignon for supper and the breakfast buffet had omelets, waffles, and yummy crispy bacon. (along with lots of other food) The location is nice since it's right across from the beach. Overall we all said we will come back and it was worth the money!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The good: clean room, friendly staff, comfortable bed.The bad: The microwave, fridge, and bathroom mirrors looked like salvage goods. The microwave had holes from previously being undermounted. Mirrors missing silver backing along edges. Fridge so battered, looked like curbside find. Drop ceiling used expensive tiles but installed by someone who had never done the work before. In the end felt like a very expensive Econo Lodge.Result: Would stay again but rate would have to be much less.

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!