“Back Again for Hospitality Night” 3 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel
1045 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #23 of 42 hotels in Cape May
PA
“Back Again for Hospitality Night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our family stayed at the Grand again this year for Hospitality Night. It's a good time to visit Cape May and get into the Christmas spirit. With three young kids (ages 7, 6, and 4) the Grand remains a natural choice for us. The kids love swimming in their indoor pool and the Grand Rapsody weekend deal makes it very attrative for our budget. For a very reasonable price we had a spacious room with two king beds and a sleeper sofa. The particular room did not have a kitchenette like the others we've stayed in - just a microwave oven sitting on top of a small refrigerator. The bathroom was small in this room and the sink was actually just outside the bathroom next to the door. Didn't bother us, but it's just interesting how varing the room layouts are in this hotel.

I'll repeat what I've said before about this establishment - there are obvious aspects that are dated. I view the Grand as a step up from motel accommodations, but definitely not a luxury resort. The staff is courteous, the location is convenient, the prices are reasonable, and our family always enjoys our stay. We enjoy the convenience of the Grand Rapsody weekend package with includes breakfast both mornings and one dinner. We'll probably be back again next year and would recommend the Grand for any family who knows how to look past minor flaws and have a good time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

718 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Holmes, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I and a few other couples stayed at the hotel on the weekend of Nov. 30th. It was a wonderful stay. Even though the pool was a little cold, the rest of the pool area was very nice. The restaurant was very good. We really enjoyed everything about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We've stayed at the Grand many times in the past, and I've always raved about the indoor pool area with its cozy seating and tropical warm water.

However, the past few times we've been there the pool has been cold, and the maintainance man refused to turn the heat up. Very disappointing, and I'm not sure If I'll return.

It is really the best attraction about the Grand in the winter months. Without the pool, it's just another Cape May hotel, and then I consider it over-priced because the pool is included, so it should be useable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
John A, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hello Love2tour55,

Thank you for your guidance on how we can better serve you during your stay at the Grand Hotel in the future.

My name is John Allison and I am the new General Manager here at the Grand. Since I have arrived I have made it my priority to review all of our guests feedback in order to assist me with setting my goals to further improve your future stays with us.

Maintaining the indoor pool water temperature to a comfortable degree is very important to me especially during the "quiet season" in Cape May. You have my commitment that I will continue to train and work with our maintenance staff to better monitor the temperature on a daily basis.

Please contact me before your next visit and I will personally check the pool temperature to make certain it will be perfect upon your arrival. My telephone number is 609-884-5611 ext. 523 or e-mail me at allison@grandcapemay.com.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.

Beach e-Regards,

John Allison
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are a beach lover - this is a place to consider. It is located right on the beach - but there is a fee to go on the beach - they come around the beach and have you pay a daily fee. Close to the old town where the tourist stuff is located. For photography, we ended up driving to see the sights.

Room Tip: Beach locations so book early.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mays Landing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I tried to cancel my reservation for Friday 10/26 due to that I had to make many preparations for the Super Storm Sandy that just destroyed our beautiful coastline. I wasn’t offered any other options or customer service to say the least. Please be aware of their policy’s or you might be left with a 100% non-refundable deposit. I just feel like there could have been a better way to handle the situation.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Selden, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a lovely place to stay!The rooms are bright and cheery. Extremely clean. The beds and pillows are of good quality, very comfortable. Nice little kitchenette.Stove, fridge,coffee maker, silverware and pots but bring your own coffee. The one problem that we had was that the door key-card did not work. The pools are crystal clear. The chaise loungers were so comfortable. They also have a fitness workout room which was really nice.My friends and I had gone to a dinner-show and decided to go to the hotel bar when we got back at 10:10pm. it had already closed!!! The breakfast buffet was delicious.I will stay at the Grand Hotel again.

Room Tip: I think that every room faces the outdoor pool with a view of the Ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

As a seasoned traveller I have learnt how to spot an old hotel that has had a makeover - the doors are rarely changed and the door frames never changed. The elderly room door with hinges that had long given up closing the door were an immediate sign that the Grand Hotel is quite old. The remodelled room had been nicely decorated and the king bed was comfortable but there was a huge flaw in the layout. One side of the bed was very close to the bathroom wall and had no bedside table or light. This might be acceptable in a business orientated hotel where the rooms are usually let for single occupancy but emphatically not in a hotel in a seaside resort. We had dinner in Hemingway's Restaurant. The Prime Rib advertised on the menu for Friday and Saturday nights was not available, but they did a very nicely cooked filet instead. The breakfast was very good value, comprising a buffet plus an omelette cooked to order. Because of the bad room layout we would not choose to stay in the Grand Hotel again, but we would eat in Hemingway's again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!