“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel website leads you to believe this is an extravagant hotel. I was not impressed. The entry looks spacious however, two people fill the entry. 3:00PM is check in and the line was pretty extensive. The front desk were not overly welcoming, but did check us in quickly. One thing that was upsetting was someone opened our door while we were laying on the bed (reminder to put the slide lock on!) We could not see who it was, we immediately called the front desk to tell them, and we were told "probably the cleaning lady, she had not cleaned up there yet." Asked them to check with the cleaning team to make sure it was them and they said "why". I stated that I would like to know who has access to my room. Their response was "I am sure it was the cleaning lady" The room also looks like the pictures online, except the ceiling tiles were almost falling down in the bathroom. It was also the first time I seen toilets in hotels that reminded me of the school toilets with no tank but the steel looking pipe with the stem that you flush. The TV was really old still had the back the stuck out. Seemed to be rather small comparative to other hotels that I have stayed in recently. The duvet on the bed tended to fall off all night and it was VERY heavy to pull back up, think need a heavy equipment to complete the mission. We did not pay for a view...as you can see from the pictures, we had a room (very hot, like sauna) and two nice rocking chairs to overlook AC vent type things. The hot tub was not very hot and the indoor pool was freezing. It was so cold the children were in the hot tub playing. However, it was very nice and the paintings on the wall were really nice as is the lounge chairs in the area. The parking is difficult..pretty much hold your breath to find one close, but the do have options of the street, in the small parking lot horseshoe in front of the white part of the hotel and a very small "garage" under the hotel on the right side facing. Overall, it was an OK for a night stay. I seen some nicer hotels, but I am sure we would have paid much more than we did. It is right across the street from the beach so if that is what you are looking for this may be the place for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
Northampton MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

basically stay was okay----but had one major safety concern I told front desk about that was not corected missing in my remodelled bathroom were the dafety non-slip strips in the tub===i had to put a towel down in tub when showering

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went last weekend for a weekend getaway. We found the room clean quiet and comfortable. The location perfect. Our concern was guest safety; the hotel shows disregard for thier guests in favor of cutting costs.

A duplicate key card was given to me without the front desk asking for any identification, nor even my name.

On a balcony that overlooks the ocean there is a loose railing. This is marked with a weather beaten 18 inch piece of caution tape that is difficult to see at night (we went right to the railing after a night of dinner and drinks and ourselves immediately leaned on it not noticing the tape). I work in maintenance, and my employer would require me to excessively tape off the whole area for no more than 24 hours, until materials could be procured to repair this railing or more permanently close off the whole area. Said railing was originally installed in violation of my local code and I would imagine it would not meet Cape May county code as well. A previous repair was (for lack of a better term) "jerry-rigged" and insufficient in my opinion.

An electrical outlet in the room was poorly installed, displaying movement inside the box; a licensed electrician would not make such a sloppy mistake.

Room entry door did not automatically close as it should.

The pool was open at a time when I was told that there was no management on the property, despite a prominent sign stating that it would be.

I spoke with front desk manager (Debbie) who told me that the general manager would contact me on Monday so I could express my concerns. I left voice mail on Wednesday reminding Debbie that I wanted to talk with the general manager to express my concerns; I still have not heard from the Hotel as of Saturday.

Room Tip: Choose a different property.
Elmer, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at The Grand to attend a Wedding. The Front Desk staff rather alouf Our assigned room (301) had an Ocean view which was kind of nice however the room was very small, had no mirrors other than in the Bathroom (which made it difficult for my wife to do hair and make up). Also no Coffee pot. Would not recommend nor stay again

Room Tip: Not sure as there are no Ocean front views, only Ocean views looking across the main street
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed in a King Charles Suite,330 dollars. The room and view were nice but as with many if these old beach resorts, it was musty and moldy. There was mold visable on the celing. The kitchenette, had doors that hung open, wouldn't close the fridge door hit wall. This place is a gorgeous hotel, really needs some major cleaning and as it seems with most of Cape May, parking was horrible, not enough for guests and meters were 15 minutes for a quarter

• Stayed September 2012
Harrisburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I joined a group of 43 people for a week in Cape May. We had an all inclusive package at the Grand Hotel. Even though part of a group, the attention my wife and were given was individual and remarkable. The suite had a microwave and mini fridge. There were two sinks and a bath/shower. The property is somewhat dated in decor, but it is immaculate! We had an ocean view room that was spacious with patio equipped with rocking chair. Don't worry about the weather. They have an outdoor pool and an indoor heated pool with large jetted tub. They provide an expansive breakfast buffet (included in our package but available to non-group folks) It was fresh, hot, frequently restocked and high quality. The lunch and dinner were ser4ved in a separate dining room for we group members. The menu was pre-selected by our group leader, but several folks requested an alternative entree and were given an excellent dish. For non-group residents, the hotel boasts "Hemmingway's Restaurant". We skipped the Thursday "group dinner" and reserved a place in their Thursday night's seafood buffet. It was beyond good. Finally, the week's experience was made special by the remarkable staff. This hotel is devoted to customer satisfaction! If you have a choice in Cape May or towns around Cape May, you can't beat this property. I will go there again.

Room Tip: I saw no rooms without ocean view. If you stay in the original building, stay on floor 4 in uneven...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

It was hard 2 find parking all the pool chairs were staked up taking up room of parking spots the lobby looked beautiful for Christmas the cleaning was oh no a nightmare the hotel giving off a old vibe

• Stayed December 2011

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!