“Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Berlin, New Jersey
“Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had read the reviews and were a little worried. Called and asked about the A/C and other questions got told that everything was fine. Kevin at the front desk was up to date with information and friendly. Although we never got to meet Christina M our room was always made up clean and fresh by the time we got back from our morning errands and Mina in Hemmingways was outstanding.

We had a great, clean room and I am sure the people met along the way made our vacation even better.

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Overall, the hotel had a lot to offer but the room was filthy. We found baked beans and some sort of muffins under the bed. It was very small and poorly designed as well as overpriced. The refrigerator was a half fridge, the kitchen was too small to cook anything. Many things broken in the room- hair dryer, bathroom vent, drain stopper in tub (very inconvenient with a 1 year-old). Forget doing laundry because every 8 minutes or so you have to run back downstairs to put $2 more into the dryer.

The balcony was upstairs off of the bedroom so it was not usable if you have small kids that go to bed early. It also wasn't usable during the day because it was directly in the blazing sun. The staff was not rude but not exactly happy to be there either.

However, pool was fun with a bar and kettle drum player a few days a week. The restaurant was OK. It had a great breakfast buffet (until we found a fly swimming in the juice-goes back to the cleanliness issue). Lots of garbage that people just throw around and no one picks up throughout the steps of the hotel.

The management should really consider doing something or hiring more staff because it's very poorly run.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was mortified to see the reviews citing bedbugs, filth, failing A/C, and ornery staff. Clearly such things would ruin a wedding, as recent posters sadly experienced.

Our own experience, of Room 136 as of August 16, has been a relief. The A/C is effective and relatively new (it's digitally controlled), and our midnight check-in and questions about bedbugs were handled professionally.

The carpeting, linens and king-size bed in our room are a little tired, but our "efficiency" unit is ample for two, and includes a clean, small kitchen. We've found no evidence of bedbugs.

Look: this is Cape May, not the Rive Droite. It's more of a "Standard Motel" than a "Grand Hotel," so the name is a smirk. If you can accept that, rein in your expectations and enjoy the beach. But if you can't, you should indeed look elsewhere.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had gone online right after making my reservation, and I saw the reviews about bed bugs so I was quite hesitant about going. I called the hotel, and I was assured that there was no bed bug problem. I was still unsure about going, but it was a last minute get away so I took my chances.

I asked the staff again when I got there If there was any issues with bed bugs, and again they said no. The first thing that I did when I got to the room was to check the bed for any kind of signs of bed bugs. There were no signs that there were any there. With that I put that issue in the back of my mind, and my girlfriend and I enjoyed the rest of our time there.

Overall a very nice hotel, and the front desk staff was very understanding about my concerns, which was quite nice. I will definately be back down again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean View Grand Room. They are very nice.
Rockaway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My Family and I came in to the hotel on August 2nd to find that the air conditioning was not working. They accommodated us by moving us to a lesser room on the other side of the property that had ac. They promised us that the ac would be fixed by 8pm that night and by the next day we could go to the room we booked. They also gave us money towards the Humphries restaurant so we could have dinner and adjusted the room price. The next day we left our room and on the way back to the room we could not get into our room. We had found out the key for that room was disabled at 12pm. We were not told this. The front desk apologised again, let us back into the room to shower and get our stuff and they moved us back to our original room that still had no ac. We were informed that they would have it back on at 8pm again. We got back to our room at 12:30am to find the ac was not fixed and it felt like a sauna. The evening of the fourth they finally had brought in an outside unit that started to pump cool air into the building. The only problem with that was that there was a wedding going on and that is where they pumped the ac. So that night as well we had no ac or just the start of the ac and when we left on the fifth the building was still warm. The staff tried there hardest to make everyone as comfortable as could be but like myself people where infuriated. And the staff took the brunt of it. I found that Manager Debbie and Jill who was working the front desk did everything that they could to help. They were great. But the problem lays with upper management not having a plan for such an emergency. They should have had a back up unit there and being that they did not they should have gotten the unit that they brought in on Saturday in on Thursday being they lost the ac that Wednesday the first at 6pm.

Room Tip: Don't worry about a balcony. They have areas where you can go for the view and sit and have a gl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Thank U for your stories about the bed bugs & good for anyone who was refunded, we were not so lucky. We decided to book because of the review in NJ mag & because we had been before. I love Cape May & so do my other family members. After this though it does put a bad taste in one's mouth. Once we read your reviews we got scared & called The Cape May Dept of Health & I was given the # of the Inspector's office but can't get through because mailbox is full ????? So we called the Grand & were told they have someone come out every 2 weeks (this sounds like a problem to me) but they said it is their routine. I was assured that there were no problems and also told I would not get a refund if I cancelled. It did not matter that I had been there before & so has some of my family with no problems until now but at the same time they seem to be well aware of the reviews. I certainlly hope that my deposit will cover the cost of one of their routine exterminator visits because if I were to bring these lil critters home with me the cost to get rid of them along with our recovery from the stress of the entire matter would cost a lot more than a couple of days of fun in the sun. We'll go somewhere else without the worries so that we can still visit wonderful old Cape May.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We booked an August long weekend; however, after seeing the extensive reports of bedbugs on TripAdvisor and BedBugRegistry.com, we called to cancel. The hotel insisted on charging us a cancellation fee even though we explained that we were not cancelling for our own convenience, we were cancelling due to the bedbug reports. The hotel rep. explained that they were "spraying for the bugs" but would not wave the cancellation fee. We tried to reach the manager 5 separate times and left voicemail messages, but were told the manager "was not available" (Saturdays and Sundays) and our voicemail message was not returned. Be forewarned about this place. What a shame since Cape May is so nice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!