“Weekend at the Montreal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montreal Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Montreal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Montreal Beach Resort
1025 Beach Avenue, Beach at Madison Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204 (Formerly Montreal Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 42 hotels in Cape May
MD
“Weekend at the Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Girlfriend and I spent last weekend at the Montreal Inn and it met our expectations!
Checking in was a breeze. Desk staff was very friendly and gave us a few tips. Hotel appears that it has a fairly recent facelift. Our Efficiency room was very nicely appointed, clean and spacious. Hotel was in a great location for us- most everything we wanted was within walking distance. Nice to have the outdoor bar, restaurant and liquor store right there!
Staying on the 3rd floor was nice, as we had a (Distant) ocean view. Our visit was not made during the busy season, so we didn't have to contend with too much noise.
We only had two issues, and they weren't enough to stop us from returning. The beds were the hardest I have ever slept on, by far. And the bartenders/staff at the restaurant/bar weren't really too peppy. Perhaps they will improve once they get further into the season :-)
All in all, my first visit to Cape May was very pleasant, and we will return to the Montreal Inn!

Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments. We always strive to improve and meet your expectations. Your comments have been sent to both housekeeping and the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Would stay again we are off season guest since there and our seasons are same time so no idea of noise during season but May was nice. First floor units look like they would be great for families with small ones easy acess to pool ocean and a drink when you really need one lol.

• Stayed May 2013
Line Lexington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have not been to The Montreal Inn since about 2003. We decided to go back with the new renovations Mother's Day Weekend. I have nothing but nice things to say about our experience. The rooms are newly updated with granite counters and a very comfortable modern king size bed with a ton of pillows which I love. There was an under the cabinet fridge for our food and drinks. We wanted the meridian suite but it was not quite finished with the renovations so we opted for a king balcony ocean front suite. The price was incredible and they also had a continental breakfast that served great coffe and fresh Danish, muffins, English muffins, and fruit juices. The reason I'm giving this place 5 stars is because of what you get for your money but also because of our maid Pauline. We left this woman a nice tip because the room was impeccable. She cleaned the room and never took the money. I was astonished. I called the front desk to let them know because I wanted her to get her tip. In the mean time, my husband went outside and found her. She told us she was afraid to take it because she wasn't sure if it was for her. I had it tucked under the card that had her name on it but I guess she felt it may not have been for her. What a breath of fresh air and lots of integrity this woman has. I cannot wait to go back here again. You Really get a bang for your buck at The Montreal Inn.

Waldwick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went with friends to the Montreal Inn. We had never stayed there before and were very happy with the room. It was renovated/updated and clean. The office staff were very friendly too. We arrived before check-in and our room was not yet ready. The staff called me when it was even though I did not ask them to which was nice. It was only my wife and I in the room, but it might be a little tight with children, but then you don't really hang in your room all that much.

The hotel is right across the street from the ocean. A five minute walk to downtown shops.

The room was an efficiency with a fridge (that was pretty big), a small microwave, a 2 burner stove top and came with plates and utensils.

We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors. We stayed on the 2nd floor. If you want a better ocean view you need to go on...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We were pleased with our recent stay. The room was clean and the bed was made up each day. I forgot and left a teabag in the coffee pot and it was gone the next day. We did not get more coffee for the next morning but it think that was just an oversight. The morning continental breakfast was enough that we could grab some fruit, cereal and small bagel or sweet roll and we were content with that. I think continental is the key word here. We had all we needed for the few days we were here and would not hesitate to return.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Middletown, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We found the Montreal Inn on Trip Advisor when planning a 40th wedding anniversary getaway and found that the positive reviews were spot on. If you are looking for the Hotel Gigantic, this is not it. We like small places who value their patrons and are constantly seeking to provide the services and facilities that make vacations memorable. This is what the Montreal Inn has mastered in its 47 years of operation. First, the location is perfect -- directly across from the beach. Second, they are finishing a 3-year renovation that has resulted in well-organized, nicely appointed, quiet rooms (no sounds from the bathroom invade the sleeping areas). Third, the staff strives to make your stay special. Fourth, the rooms are immaculate (hard to do at the beach) and supplied with fluffy towels, comfortable sheets, and mountains of pillows. While we were too early to enjoy the pool, bar, restaurant, and beach cabanas, the balconies and the sundeck were great places to relax. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Third and fourth story rooms have the best view of the ocean.
Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you.. We are so gratified to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and over so many years!! We look forward to seeing you again..
Gloucester Twp, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The rooms have been newly renovated and are nice and clean. We had a 3rd floor balcony room overlooking the pool that had probably the best view of the ocean in Cape May. The Montreal Inn is also within about a half mile or so of the main part of Beach Ave. where shops are and the bars.

4 day minimum reservation in early May seemed a bit much, but the rate itself was very good. The free continental breakfast was pretty lame as it was defrosted bagels and small pastries, juice coffee and cereal. I hope they are going to refurbish the meeting room where you get breakfast because it is really in bad shape.

Like I said, the rooms are clean, just because they are newly renovated, so here's the catch..
Each morning when my wife and I left, we left a $5 tip for room service, which we thought was acceptable. All they do each day is make your bed. That is it. There were a few scraps of paper on the floor that I intentionally did not pick up. They stayed there the whole time we were there, so it is obvious they do not vacuum each day. I also had iced tea one day. There was some left the next morning so I emptied the cup in the sink and threw out the cup. After they had serviced our room for the day, I still saw the yellow stains from the iced tea and some of the half lemon seeds on the side of the sink bowl.

And finally, the hotel is trying to go "green" the heater and a/c are controlled by some system that senses when you are in the room, or when you walk out the balcony and leave the sliding glass door open, etc. I am fine with that. However, there is no air flow in the room at all when the system is not running and the room gets stuffy. So during the night, I got warm and lowered the a/c from 72 degrees, to 68 degrees...great, felt awesome, I started drifting off to sleep. After about ten minutes, the a/c kicked off. Okay...it's cycling. Then it gets stuffy again. I get back up and the system has reset to 72 degrees! That is the temp Montreal Inn wants the room at and the guest has no say. Needless to say, I did not get a good nights sleep while I was there.

Cape May is an awesome place to visit and we go down there every year, I am not being picky, but I would rather spend alittle more and stay someplace else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stevan O, General Manager at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, and also thank you for sharing your concerns. The feedback we receive from our guests is very important to us so we can address the issues and make the necessary corrections. Our #1 job is to provide an exceptional guest experience, and when this is not delivered to the complete satisfaction to our visitors, we take action to adjust.

We are investigating the issue with the 4 day minimum. That is not our policy during the month of May, and we are anxious to discover how this may have happened.

Now that we have completed the room renovations, we are currently in the process of upgrading the common areas, such as the meeting room, and, at the same time, upgrading the continental breakfast. On your next visit, we are confident you will be pleased with the results.

We constantly receive rave reviews regarding the wonderful performance of our Housekeepers, and it is very unusual that we receive a complaint. Part of the process of "refreshing" a room is vacuuming, and we are investigating your complaint. What may be scraps of paper to a guest could look like receipts or important paperwork to our housekeepers. Even though they empty the trash receptacles and vacuum the floors, they are instructed not to disturb these items. Unless the item is placed in the trash can, they will not assume it is trash.

Our resort has been involved in the "Green Hotels" initiative since before it became 'en vogue'. The Montreal Inn Beach Resort has been a pioneer in conservation, recycling and preserving our environment. Our HVAC controls are designed as such, while being completely user friendly in adjusting the controls. A quick call from you to our Guest Services Associates would have prompted a visit from our Engineering Department to familiarize you with the functions.

We do hope you will reconsider and visit us again. Our entire staff is eager and ready to provide you and your guests with an extraordinary Cape May Experience.

Been to Montreal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!