“alqays stayed at LaMer. friends said try here sand ir was great. no complaints on room rates or view.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montreal Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Montreal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Montreal Beach Resort
1025 Beach Avenue, Beach at Madison Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204 (Formerly Montreal Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 42 hotels in Cape May
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Would stay again we are off season guest since there and our seasons are same time so no idea of noise during season but May was nice. First floor units look like they would be great for families with small ones easy acess to pool ocean and a drink when you really need one lol.

• Stayed May 2013

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Line Lexington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have not been to The Montreal Inn since about 2003. We decided to go back with the new renovations Mother's Day Weekend. I have nothing but nice things to say about our experience. The rooms are newly updated with granite counters and a very comfortable modern king size bed with a ton of pillows which I love. There was an under the cabinet fridge for our food and drinks. We wanted the meridian suite but it was not quite finished with the renovations so we opted for a king balcony ocean front suite. The price was incredible and they also had a continental breakfast that served great coffe and fresh Danish, muffins, English muffins, and fruit juices. The reason I'm giving this place 5 stars is because of what you get for your money but also because of our maid Pauline. We left this woman a nice tip because the room was impeccable. She cleaned the room and never took the money. I was astonished. I called the front desk to let them know because I wanted her to get her tip. In the mean time, my husband went outside and found her. She told us she was afraid to take it because she wasn't sure if it was for her. I had it tucked under the card that had her name on it but I guess she felt it may not have been for her. What a breath of fresh air and lots of integrity this woman has. I cannot wait to go back here again. You Really get a bang for your buck at The Montreal Inn.

Waldwick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went with friends to the Montreal Inn. We had never stayed there before and were very happy with the room. It was renovated/updated and clean. The office staff were very friendly too. We arrived before check-in and our room was not yet ready. The staff called me when it was even though I did not ask them to which was nice. It was only my wife and I in the room, but it might be a little tight with children, but then you don't really hang in your room all that much.

The hotel is right across the street from the ocean. A five minute walk to downtown shops.

The room was an efficiency with a fridge (that was pretty big), a small microwave, a 2 burner stove top and came with plates and utensils.

We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors. We stayed on the 2nd floor. If you want a better ocean view you need to go on...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We were pleased with our recent stay. The room was clean and the bed was made up each day. I forgot and left a teabag in the coffee pot and it was gone the next day. We did not get more coffee for the next morning but it think that was just an oversight. The morning continental breakfast was enough that we could grab some fruit, cereal and small bagel or sweet roll and we were content with that. I think continental is the key word here. We had all we needed for the few days we were here and would not hesitate to return.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Middletown, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We found the Montreal Inn on Trip Advisor when planning a 40th wedding anniversary getaway and found that the positive reviews were spot on. If you are looking for the Hotel Gigantic, this is not it. We like small places who value their patrons and are constantly seeking to provide the services and facilities that make vacations memorable. This is what the Montreal Inn has mastered in its 47 years of operation. First, the location is perfect -- directly across from the beach. Second, they are finishing a 3-year renovation that has resulted in well-organized, nicely appointed, quiet rooms (no sounds from the bathroom invade the sleeping areas). Third, the staff strives to make your stay special. Fourth, the rooms are immaculate (hard to do at the beach) and supplied with fluffy towels, comfortable sheets, and mountains of pillows. While we were too early to enjoy the pool, bar, restaurant, and beach cabanas, the balconies and the sundeck were great places to relax. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Third and fourth story rooms have the best view of the ocean.
Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you.. We are so gratified to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and over so many years!! We look forward to seeing you again..
Gloucester Twp, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The rooms have been newly renovated and are nice and clean. We had a 3rd floor balcony room overlooking the pool that had probably the best view of the ocean in Cape May. The Montreal Inn is also within about a half mile or so of the main part of Beach Ave. where shops are and the bars.

4 day minimum reservation in early May seemed a bit much, but the rate itself was very good. The free continental breakfast was pretty lame as it was defrosted bagels and small pastries, juice coffee and cereal. I hope they are going to refurbish the meeting room where you get breakfast because it is really in bad shape.

Like I said, the rooms are clean, just because they are newly renovated, so here's the catch..
Each morning when my wife and I left, we left a $5 tip for room service, which we thought was acceptable. All they do each day is make your bed. That is it. There were a few scraps of paper on the floor that I intentionally did not pick up. They stayed there the whole time we were there, so it is obvious they do not vacuum each day. I also had iced tea one day. There was some left the next morning so I emptied the cup in the sink and threw out the cup. After they had serviced our room for the day, I still saw the yellow stains from the iced tea and some of the half lemon seeds on the side of the sink bowl.

And finally, the hotel is trying to go "green" the heater and a/c are controlled by some system that senses when you are in the room, or when you walk out the balcony and leave the sliding glass door open, etc. I am fine with that. However, there is no air flow in the room at all when the system is not running and the room gets stuffy. So during the night, I got warm and lowered the a/c from 72 degrees, to 68 degrees...great, felt awesome, I started drifting off to sleep. After about ten minutes, the a/c kicked off. Okay...it's cycling. Then it gets stuffy again. I get back up and the system has reset to 72 degrees! That is the temp Montreal Inn wants the room at and the guest has no say. Needless to say, I did not get a good nights sleep while I was there.

Cape May is an awesome place to visit and we go down there every year, I am not being picky, but I would rather spend alittle more and stay someplace else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stevan O, General Manager at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, and also thank you for sharing your concerns. The feedback we receive from our guests is very important to us so we can address the issues and make the necessary corrections. Our #1 job is to provide an exceptional guest experience, and when this is not delivered to the complete satisfaction to our visitors, we take action to adjust.

We are investigating the issue with the 4 day minimum. That is not our policy during the month of May, and we are anxious to discover how this may have happened.

Now that we have completed the room renovations, we are currently in the process of upgrading the common areas, such as the meeting room, and, at the same time, upgrading the continental breakfast. On your next visit, we are confident you will be pleased with the results.

We constantly receive rave reviews regarding the wonderful performance of our Housekeepers, and it is very unusual that we receive a complaint. Part of the process of "refreshing" a room is vacuuming, and we are investigating your complaint. What may be scraps of paper to a guest could look like receipts or important paperwork to our housekeepers. Even though they empty the trash receptacles and vacuum the floors, they are instructed not to disturb these items. Unless the item is placed in the trash can, they will not assume it is trash.

Our resort has been involved in the "Green Hotels" initiative since before it became 'en vogue'. The Montreal Inn Beach Resort has been a pioneer in conservation, recycling and preserving our environment. Our HVAC controls are designed as such, while being completely user friendly in adjusting the controls. A quick call from you to our Guest Services Associates would have prompted a visit from our Engineering Department to familiarize you with the functions.

We do hope you will reconsider and visit us again. Our entire staff is eager and ready to provide you and your guests with an extraordinary Cape May Experience.
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed in Cape May, NJ for two nights as my son was graduating from the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center there. I picked the Montreal based on the reviews, price and location - although there were a few slightly negative reviews. I have to say on arrival I was pleasantly surprised. My room (on the 4th floor) seemed to be newly renovated and was very spacious and tastefully decorated. I had a partial ocean view (obscured by the sun deck) but could still open the sliding glass door and sit either inside or outside and hear the ocean and feel the lovely ocean breeze. I saw dolphins from the sun deck one morning. The staff were friendly and I had a conversation with a couple who stay there twice a year every year and love it. Said they wouldn't stay anywhere else in Cape May.

A few slight negatives/areas for improvement: In order to get my Thursday/Friday night stays, I was required to book a minimum of 3 days. Although I got a good rate, I was irked that I had to pay for a third night that I could not use. The continental breakfast was just pathetic - between the horrible location (the meeting room) which was run down, old and sad and the lame selection of food and beverages. If you're going to offer a "free" breakfast, at least make it decent. Also, there was construction going on that started before 7:00 a.m. I appreciate that they are renovating the rooms, but when you're on vacation, you don't always want to be woken to construction noise at that time in the morning. And finally, the bathroom counter and sink was way too high. I'm about 5'6" and I struggled to reach the taps to brush my teeth. Anyone below average height or with children would need a step stool.

As I said, there were a few negatives, but I got the definite impression that this hotel is moving up and the management are interested in making improvements. It should be noted that I had planned to host a group of people for dinner at the hotel's "Harry's" restaurant but it appeared to be closed for the season. As there were a number of people staying at the hotel and it was the end of April, I feel they are missing business by being still closed. There are Coast Guard families like mine who attend bootcamp graduations year round and are looking for somewhere pleasant to stay and to dine and the oceanside location is a big draw. Why not keep the restaurant open?

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an oceanside, newly renovated room. Seemed most of the renovation going on was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stevan O, General Manager at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your observations. We are truly concerned about your disappointment and comments regarding your recent stay at our popular beachfront resort. As the manager, it is my responsibility to assure that these things just don't happen, and to address them, one by one, to make sure it will not repeated in the future.

I am indeed confused regarding the 4 night minimum. We do have a 3 night minimum for online reservations, but I am unaware of a 4 night restriction for a reservation made directly with our Guest Services associates. I am digging into this to find out what happened.

We are currently upgrading our continental breakfast and the room that is shared with group meetings after the breakfast ends. We are experimenting with different items and soliciting feedback from our guests. Your comments will be critical in our continuous goals for improvement.

I am personally investigating your comments regarding our housekeeping services related to your room during your stay. We take great pride in providing excellence in our services and just won't tolerate anything less. We hope that, on your next visit, you will see how your comments have been used to make the Montreal Inn Beach Resort better than ever.

Been to Montreal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!