“Sound of the Ocean from the room is wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montreal Beach Resort

You added Montreal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Montreal Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1025 Beach Avenue, Beach at Madison Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204 (Formerly Montreal Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Ventura, California
“Sound of the Ocean from the room is wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed in Cape May, NJ for two nights as my son was graduating from the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center there. I picked the Montreal based on the reviews, price and location - although there were a few slightly negative reviews. I have to say on arrival I was pleasantly surprised. My room (on the 4th floor) seemed to be newly renovated and was very spacious and tastefully decorated. I had a partial ocean view (obscured by the sun deck) but could still open the sliding glass door and sit either inside or outside and hear the ocean and feel the lovely ocean breeze. I saw dolphins from the sun deck one morning. The staff were friendly and I had a conversation with a couple who stay there twice a year every year and love it. Said they wouldn't stay anywhere else in Cape May.

A few slight negatives/areas for improvement: In order to get my Thursday/Friday night stays, I was required to book a minimum of 3 days. Although I got a good rate, I was irked that I had to pay for a third night that I could not use. The continental breakfast was just pathetic - between the horrible location (the meeting room) which was run down, old and sad and the lame selection of food and beverages. If you're going to offer a "free" breakfast, at least make it decent. Also, there was construction going on that started before 7:00 a.m. I appreciate that they are renovating the rooms, but when you're on vacation, you don't always want to be woken to construction noise at that time in the morning. And finally, the bathroom counter and sink was way too high. I'm about 5'6" and I struggled to reach the taps to brush my teeth. Anyone below average height or with children would need a step stool.

As I said, there were a few negatives, but I got the definite impression that this hotel is moving up and the management are interested in making improvements. It should be noted that I had planned to host a group of people for dinner at the hotel's "Harry's" restaurant but it appeared to be closed for the season. As there were a number of people staying at the hotel and it was the end of April, I feel they are missing business by being still closed. There are Coast Guard families like mine who attend bootcamp graduations year round and are looking for somewhere pleasant to stay and to dine and the oceanside location is a big draw. Why not keep the restaurant open?

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an oceanside, newly renovated room. Seemed most of the renovation going on was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stevan O, General Manager at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your observations. We are truly concerned about your disappointment and comments regarding your recent stay at our popular beachfront resort. As the manager, it is my responsibility to assure that these things just don't happen, and to address them, one by one, to make sure it will not repeated in the future.

I am indeed confused regarding the 4 night minimum. We do have a 3 night minimum for online reservations, but I am unaware of a 4 night restriction for a reservation made directly with our Guest Services associates. I am digging into this to find out what happened.

We are currently upgrading our continental breakfast and the room that is shared with group meetings after the breakfast ends. We are experimenting with different items and soliciting feedback from our guests. Your comments will be critical in our continuous goals for improvement.

I am personally investigating your comments regarding our housekeeping services related to your room during your stay. We take great pride in providing excellence in our services and just won't tolerate anything less. We hope that, on your next visit, you will see how your comments have been used to make the Montreal Inn Beach Resort better than ever.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was our third stay at the Montreal inn. It has been consistent. Our room was recently remodeled ans pleasant. Others have mentioned the bright lights in the outside hall which come through the curtain as an annoyance and it is. A better window treatment would easily solve that. We found the bed to be okay but had a tendency to roll you to the outside. I don't think it's just me as my spouse voiced the same concern. Minor but to some... We were in cape may in April so it's was quiet and cool. The view is excellent from the higher floors. We were on the fourth floor. staff were pleasant. Rooms have small kitchens. You can easily walk to resturaunts and shopping areas

Room Tip: Top floors if you want to ocean watch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed a fabulous stay at Mont. Inn. we highly recommend to all for a great stay and fair pricing . also , the staff is warm and friendly. The staff recommended several great places to dine , we ended up at the Lobster House.

Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thanks for staying with us recently. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Look forward to seeing you again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Newly Updated, modern, clean. Very convenient beautiful location. Great automsophere, beautiful views! Everything is perfect modern updated & clean. We loved our stay here! If you're looking for a modern hotel at a great value this is the one to stay at! It was difficult searching for great clean updated year round hotel in the cape may wildwood area . So happy to have found this perfect place!!!
I could go on all day about how much I enjoyed our stay here

• Stayed April 2013
Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are excited that all our rooms have been totally renovated and the feedback has been tremendous. I look forward to your next visi!! Thanks so much.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wanting to have a shore getaway in the early pre season, we thought we'd try the Montreal after several years away. We heard that there were renovations, but never expected the new decor. The furniture, carpet bathroom updates,balcony furniture even the choice of wall art were top notch. Bed was extremely comfortable, nothing was second rate.Don't know how it will last as beach vacationers seem to have less respect for their rooms that others. But this year Montreal has some of the best accomdations on the beachfront.Desk staff, housekeepers were very friendly and competent

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for visiting us again. We're excited to have finished a 3 year total room makeover, from top to bottom. The feedback has been wonderful and appreciated! No doubt, it makes us wanting to keep pushing the bar forward to give our guests the most enjoyable experience. Look forward to seeing you soon!
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Nice hotel with nice ocean view. Stayed in the same hotel two years back. They have now upgraded the rooms. The only negative is the light in the balcony. It cannot be operated from the rooms so at night its uncomfortable to sit out in the balcony with the lights on.

Florham Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Clean, nice-sized rooms, friendly staff, convenient location - - and, best of all, every room faces the ocean. Perfect location for long walks along the ocean, as well as for walks into town. Will absolutely stay here again on my next trip to Cape May.

Room Tip: Higher rooms offer a better view of the ocean; on the first floor, the pool is between you and the s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lhirsch, Owner at Montreal Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for you recent stay wih us as well as your review. Cape May is a great walking town you're within minutes of downtown, great restaurants and best of all, the BEACH.. Hope to see you again soon

Been to Montreal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!