“Nasty towels” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia
“Nasty towels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage the weekend of September 16, 2011. We picked it because of the great location close to everything, and the price $170/night. On entering the room were disappointed with the musty smell, the small old tv but more shocking were the bathroom and towels. The towels were dingy, wrinkled and ripped!! Yes they had holes and tattered edges. The bathroom door did not close all the way and there was molding missing in the bathroom. There were dozens of little fruit flys in the room. When I brought the towels down to manager, she laughed and said they come from the linen service that way and the housekeepers must not have noticed the holes(size of a baseball). The ocean view was obscured by scaffolding and construction. The pool was a cement hole in the ground with water. No type of decking, landscape, chairs, nothing. It was embarrasing to be seen going into such a seedy looking place.
Another couple, our friends, were staying at the Capri. They were not able to get reservations at the Heritage...Lucky them. The Capri a couple of short blocks away, and only $140/night had a beautiful pool area, with lounges, grills, shuffleboard, lovely hanging plants and beautiful landscape. There was a restaurant bar accross the street that served breakfast and also a liquor/beer store. Next year we will stay at the Capri.

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Middlesex, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We have been vacationing in Cape May every year for the past 30+ years and have always stayed at the Heritage Inn. The rooms are always clean and Barbara, Gwen and "the boys" are always very nice & accomodating. The inn has a great location where we can park the car & pretty much walk anywhere we want to go. We have always booked a room on the second floor, but now that they have added a third floor, we have moved up! The rooms are bright & spacious and, in a word, "cozy" plus you can really enjoy the view of the ocean right across the street. We usually vacation in June or September when it is less crowded. It can get a little noisy during peak season from the arcade across the street, but it is not unbearable.Our last visit was in September, 2011 and we are already looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: The third floor offers the best views, plus being newer, offers microwaves and hair dryers. End room...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

On the whole, a good hotel. Great location take away the construction and strikers (striking as the town hired non union workers...totally uncool. Best rooms are on 3rd floor, facing south, and even those facing east (but soon will have convention center blocking much of view). Rooms 22-28 have great views as you see the sea in front of you, facing south east. Through room 33, again on 3rd floor, do have some sea views, but obstructed. Good location, with restaurants for breakfast and lunch near by, within 3 minutes on foot. A small variety shop there, as well, for small items like cups, soda..etc..and newspapers from Philly/NY. Across street is a small boardwalk with a famous fudge shop and taffy shop that also sells and sort of souvenir you can think of. Some issues of hotel; no bathmats (not being picky but is slippery and dangerous. I mentioned this to owner/manager, Gwen, especially as there were many elderly people. I gave my parents an extra towel and told them to wet it and put it on tub floor. It worked but rubber mat would be better). Needs some paint here and there. An extra pillow. BRIGHTER LIGHTS. Bulbs are so dim and we had to move things around in order for my parents to read. For the price ($279.00 for half the stay and then off season prices kicked in, about $159.00, and was only hotel doing it). Kitchen alcove, with microwave, sink, fridge and counter top, are convenient. Bathroom is fine, perfect if it had the bathmat and maybe some hand towels. Rooms were clean. Not disable friendly as there is no elevator and stairs are steep (but if my parents could do both sets of stairs, most anyone can, my parents being about 84, mom with new hip and dad with some equilibrium issues..normal elderly issues). That means that anyone who can't do stairs, if there is a wheelchair or for whatever reason, they must stay on 1st floor, no view at all, except for pool. Sad. Owner/manager is accommodating and friendly. Also, only one handicapped spot, which was always taken by a non authorized car. Main parking in behind hotel. We would stay there again if some of the above issues were addressed. TV channels are good, (no premium but interesting assortment of 'other'). Not a 'singles' hotel. Oh, adjoining rooms would be cool, as if I went to parents room,had to walk outside and vice versa. Spent much room on wrap around balcony and most people, friendly though some, loud as well, very loud.

Room Tip: South and South East facing rooms on 3rd floor. South facing are better. No elevator, though and sta...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I vacationed in Cape May with my husband and his family, from Thurs. 9/8 – Mon. 9/12/2011. It was eight of us and a trip we do every year to different destinations in New England. Our experience at the Heritage Inn was absolutely awful. On Fri. 9/9 we were coming back from dinner. Per the hotel, there is one parking spot per room. We had 4 rooms and 2 cars. My sister-in-law and her husband were trying to park the car in front of the hotel and pulled into a spot that we had all seen occupied earlier in the day. My husband and I were in the back seat. When they did, an elder woman from the office came out and told them that they can’t park there (no one ever told us that there was a parking lot behind the hotel.) When they asked her where they could park, she aggressively told them to “ask their friends” and that there were “meters on the street.” A little upset, my sister-in-law and her husband went into the office to speak with the woman after the parking encounter. My sister informed her that each room was entitled to one parking spot at which time the woman stuck her tongue out like a child and spit in her face!!!! When she and her husband came up to tell us what happened, we were beside ourselves. I immediately went downstairs. There was a pen and paper at the registration desk that I picked up and calmly asked the woman for the name and phone number of the owner or manager. She hastily snatched the paper from my hand and told me it was “none of my business.” When I asked her what her name was she told me that I “don’t need to know that.” Unreal.

The next morning, I went down and spoke with the owner to tell her what had happened. She told me that she can’t imagine the other woman acting the way she did. I pointed to the surveillance camera behind the front desk and asked her to please review the footage. Conveniently, it wasn’t working.

On another night, I went down to the front desk and to ask if they had an extra blanket. During that encounter I was told that I can’t have one because “it is summer” and “guests only get one blanket per room.”

Aside from the horrid service that our family experienced, the hotel is not anything to write home about. It is dingy, and the walls in the rooms are dirty and scuffed. It’s only plus is that it is across the street from the beach. But there are many options near the beach, and my suggestion is to go with one of those. I have never had such a TERRIBLE hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
BlueDallas, General Manager at Heritage Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
The issue of not allowing guests to park in the "Load and Unloading" zone overnight is so that all guest will have the opportunity to park in the front of the hotel while registering at check in and again while checking out. It is not for 1 or 2 guests to occupy for their entire stay. Extended parking is provided in our parking lot behind the motel.
The woman in question is almost 80 years old and has been at the Heritage Inn for many many years and has always been referred to as sweet and lovely. As the reviewer stated I can not imagine for a minute that she would be anything other than professional and curteous. The no parking in the loading/unloading zone is strictly enforced so that all guests have the availability to park, it is not provided for any guest that believes she is entitled to the space for the duration of her stay.
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Recently stayed at the Heritage for a week. We had a great time. The Inn is central to everything. You can just park and find everything at your fingertips. The Inn is very clean, comfortable and has great views (especially from the roof top deck). The rooms are very big and spacious. We brought friends with us who had never been to Cape May. They loved the Inn and its close proximity to the beach. Although we were evacuated in the hurricane, they said they would be back. We were able to go back after the hurricane. Gwen was waiting to welcome us back. They have a wonderful staff from the cleaning people to the family that help run the Inn. The pool is great for a dip after the beach. The ice machine is always full. There are great dining spots near by (McGlades on the beach, the Sea Shanty and Avalon Coffee and Smoothie shop). There is an Acme that is a 10 min. walk. There is a great massage place around the corner (no appointment necc.) We will be back next year. Thanks to Gwen and her wonderful staff for a great stay. Special Thanks to Mark for helping me try to "Jump my car".

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor Room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Heritage Inn after they managed to squeeze us in at the last minute. We came away from our stay with four main impressions:
1. Clean, clean, clean - and quiet
2. Central location; we never used our car once we parked it in their lot
3. Right across the street from the beach, which is where we spent most of our time
4. Helpful staff; they're available and ready to assist

We'll definitely return.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This motel has a fabulous location! If you stay here, you won't need your car unless you want to go to Sunset Beach, the lighthouse or outside of Cape May. You can walk across the street to the beautiful beach. There are restaurants, mini-golf, ice cream parlor, coffee shops, clothing stores and an arcade all within one block or across the street from the Heritage Inn. The convenience of the location makes this motel worth the price. Plus you get a parking spot in a nice lot. Keep in mind that this is a motel, not a hotel when you book. It is a very clean motel and the owner is very nice and will help you find places to go etc, but the room is not going to be a five star hotel room. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean and there was a separate sink and counter area which was very convenient. If you are going to spend a lot of time in your room, you can get an ocean view room on the third floor and that is probably really beautiful. We were not in the room other than for sleeping so it didn't matter to us that we didn't have the view. Waking up in the morning and being able to walk across the street to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world was priceless. We had a very nice experience at the Heritage Inn and enjoyed our time there very much!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor facing the ocean if you want a view. Realize that you will have t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!