“Can't wait to go back to CH!” 5 of 5 stars

Up to 20% OFF Room Rates
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Can't wait to go back to CH!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned home from a 2 day get-away to Congress Hall in Cape May, NJ and we are slowly coming back down to earth! We could not have asked for a better escape - the service was exceptional and the hotel is charming. So many personal touches -- elves that came into our room while we stepped out to tidy up, fluff our pillows; and staff waiting for us on the beach ready to set up our chairs, towels and umbrella. Everyone seemed to geniuinely care about us having a good time. The atmosphere of CH is like going back in time - from the large brass room keys, winding staircases with wonderful views at each landing, shuttered doors, and yes crooked floors (after all, this is a very, very old hotel). The decor is beautiful and our room was spotless. It was wonderful to wake up, grab a coffee and sit outside in a comfortable rocker to enjoy the view of the beach. We ate at the Blue Pig Tavern, drank in the Brown Room, and relaxed in the Boiler Room. The food was delicious and both the Brown and Boiler Rooms were comfortable and relaxing. My one and only complaint would be the cocktails - I drank about 7 glasses of my favorite cocktail and didn't feel the slightest buzz, which I attribute to lots of ice and very little alcohol. I totally avoided a hangover but feel like I spent too much money on what tasted like non-alcoholic drinks. Next time, I will just order a beer and save myself some money. Overall, I LOVED everything about CH, and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night to celebrate my best friend's birthday - hotel and valet services were friendly and professional. Rooms were inviting and tastefully decorated with respect paid to the vintage of the property. Pool area was lovely, adirondack chairs on the lawn overlooking the ocean were plentiful, and BEACH amenities were a nice touch. We have stayed here in the past, off-season, and though I've not stayed in other Cape May properties, my wonderful experiences at Congress Hall have made me a loyal guest when I'm in town. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013
Mid Atlantic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Congress Hall is a beautiful historic property ideally situated right across from the beach and next to the downtown pedestrian shopping/dining district. Much of Cape May is within walking or biking distance.

I expected an formal property but was happily surprised with the fresh decor and posh amenities in our room. The bed and linens, light beachy decor in the room were definitely on par with new upscale properties. The public spaces were updated and comfortable yet faithful to the architecture and quirks of a bygone era. The hotel appears much larger from the street and it was charming to find the interiors welcoming and more intimate than anticipated.

What I definitely didn't expect was the array of daily activities. There are movies on the lawn, games, events--all kinds of family pleasers rough out the day. In this way, Congress Hall reminded me of The Homestead or even a cruise in which you can choose whether or not to join in the festivities based on your interests or stamina. My kids loved it!

It is an expensive place to stay but given all the extras (bike rentals on-site, perfect location, spa, bakery shop with pain chocolat, pool, games etc) it is worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Staff is very rude and the WiFi was very slow and horrible. The rooms are nice but had many stains in the beds. just 2 beds and no pull out furniture. 1 bed for two 18 year olds and a 13 year old does not work! The thing we did enjoy was the view of the beach, but does not make up for when somebody goes to the bathroom next door, you can hear the toilet and showers etc. ew!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stay at Congress Hall a couple of times per year and the staff and atmosphere are excellent. John Daily (GM) continues to impress us very much with the way he manages the hotel. Everyone we dealt with was pleasant and knowledgeable. The Brown Room (bar) is a must visit, especially in the off season to enjoy a cocktail on the couch next to the wood fireplace.

Looking forward to a return trip in Feb.

Room Tip: Ocean views are great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Greenlawn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just got married, and held our reception in Congress Hall. The ballroom was beautiful, food was delicious, and the attention to detail was impeccable. Our room was gorgeous simplicity, and the bed was super comfortable. We LOVE Congress Hall and will go back everytime we are in Cape May!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love, love, love this place! Every opportunity I can, I go there no matter what time of year. With large, beautiful rooms looking out over the ocean, just the view puts you in a great state of mind. The staff is always accommodating and goes out of their way to make everything more pleasant. The restaurant, The Blue Pig Tavern, and bar/lounge, The Brown Room, have great food and fun drinks; or when the weather is good, you can sit outside or by the pool. The grounds are always so beautiful with seasonal flowers. But Christmastime takes the cake -- it is decorated so beautifully inside and out -- it is truly a winter wonderland. There were fire pits alit in the pool; every tree inside and out had lights and decorations; one narrow hallway was decorated with tall nutcrackers and candy canes; and so much more.. We were lucky to see a December wedding take place on the lawn (the weather was unusually warm). There is a tree-lighting ceremony which attracts the whole town and is accompanied by their Festival Choir. When you walk out the main entrance, you are at the main shopping mall with great stores and excellent restaurants within walking distance. Some of my favorite restaurants besides The Blue Pig Tavern, are the Merion Inn, Cucina Rosa, the Mad Batter (for brunch, especially), and Tisha's Fine Dining. I will be there within weeks, and I cannot wait!

Room Tip: I always get an oceanfront room -- I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Congress Hall? Share your experiences!