“Location, location, location!” 5 of 5 stars

Up to 20% OFF Room Rates
Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
“Location, location, location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Saturday night to celebrate my best friend's birthday - hotel and valet services were friendly and professional. Rooms were inviting and tastefully decorated with respect paid to the vintage of the property. Pool area was lovely, adirondack chairs on the lawn overlooking the ocean were plentiful, and BEACH amenities were a nice touch. We have stayed here in the past, off-season, and though I've not stayed in other Cape May properties, my wonderful experiences at Congress Hall have made me a loyal guest when I'm in town. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed with my mom for 5 nights/6 days at Congress Hall right before and after Labor Day. I had always wanted to stay at CH during the summer....overall we did enjoy the trip (Cape May is great) but we definitely had some issues with the resort.

The Good:

We really enjoyed our room (#240) BUT we only got this much bigger and better room after we complained about our first room assignment (#413). The first room was this awful lime green color -- but more importantly the floor was not even -- there was a definite incline. My mom and I felt like we were on an amusement ride. The bathroom was also small and there wasn't even one dresser. A terrible room for almost $500 a night. If you can, request room #240. It's huge and the bathroom could fit 8 people in it. Plus there are windows everywhere so it always felt bright and airy. (The front staff did not give us a hard time about the move, which we greatly appreciated).

CH's location is great -- across the street from the beach and right in town. We also walked to restaurants on the road headed toward Sunset Beach. We rarely used the car.

CH's grounds are immaculate. There are so many spots at the resort to just relax with a drink or a cup of coffee/tea. Even with all the kids running around, CH can be peaceful.

The Bad:

Not all rooms are created equal. See above.

The staff was not overly pleasant -- both in the resort and at the restaurants. The other guests were more willing to open doors and assist fellow vacationers than staff members. For example: when I was packing up the car to leave, I had about 5 bags with me. And a huge suitcase. A guest kindly took the majority of my luggage as I made my way down the stairs. But I received no help whatsoever from the valet guys -- I guess they assumed I wasn't going to tip and therefore just watched me (and my mom!) struggle with packing up the car. Unbelievable.

Our room included a daily $20 voucher for breakfast/lunch at the Blue Pig. My mom and I tried every breakfast item imaginable -- and they were all terrible. Don't eat at this overpriced, average restaurant for breakfast. Lunch is much better: the fries with the balsamic mayo were a nice splurge and the white pizza with leeks, tomatoes and wild mushrooms was fabulous. Salads and the guacamole appetizer were good but skip the deviled eggs.

Other spots I'd recommend for meals:

y.b. (across the street from the boardwalk, cash only. GREAT)
The Washington Inn -- very expensive but worth it
The crepe place was yummy too
For an inexpensive but enjoyable meal, check out Lucky Bones (need a car)
(We didn't care for Tisha's or the Italian restaurant Godmother's)

One last thing: rent a bike at least once! It's a great way to see the town and beautiful homes by the water. If you walk a few blocks away from Congress Hall there's Shields Bike Rentals on Gurney Street. Better deals than the bike rental shop at CH.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mid Atlantic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Congress Hall is a beautiful historic property ideally situated right across from the beach and next to the downtown pedestrian shopping/dining district. Much of Cape May is within walking or biking distance.

I expected an formal property but was happily surprised with the fresh decor and posh amenities in our room. The bed and linens, light beachy decor in the room were definitely on par with new upscale properties. The public spaces were updated and comfortable yet faithful to the architecture and quirks of a bygone era. The hotel appears much larger from the street and it was charming to find the interiors welcoming and more intimate than anticipated.

What I definitely didn't expect was the array of daily activities. There are movies on the lawn, games, events--all kinds of family pleasers rough out the day. In this way, Congress Hall reminded me of The Homestead or even a cruise in which you can choose whether or not to join in the festivities based on your interests or stamina. My kids loved it!

It is an expensive place to stay but given all the extras (bike rentals on-site, perfect location, spa, bakery shop with pain chocolat, pool, games etc) it is worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Staff is very rude and the WiFi was very slow and horrible. The rooms are nice but had many stains in the beds. just 2 beds and no pull out furniture. 1 bed for two 18 year olds and a 13 year old does not work! The thing we did enjoy was the view of the beach, but does not make up for when somebody goes to the bathroom next door, you can hear the toilet and showers etc. ew!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stay at Congress Hall a couple of times per year and the staff and atmosphere are excellent. John Daily (GM) continues to impress us very much with the way he manages the hotel. Everyone we dealt with was pleasant and knowledgeable. The Brown Room (bar) is a must visit, especially in the off season to enjoy a cocktail on the couch next to the wood fireplace.

Looking forward to a return trip in Feb.

Room Tip: Ocean views are great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Greenlawn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just got married, and held our reception in Congress Hall. The ballroom was beautiful, food was delicious, and the attention to detail was impeccable. Our room was gorgeous simplicity, and the bed was super comfortable. We LOVE Congress Hall and will go back everytime we are in Cape May!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love, love, love this place! Every opportunity I can, I go there no matter what time of year. With large, beautiful rooms looking out over the ocean, just the view puts you in a great state of mind. The staff is always accommodating and goes out of their way to make everything more pleasant. The restaurant, The Blue Pig Tavern, and bar/lounge, The Brown Room, have great food and fun drinks; or when the weather is good, you can sit outside or by the pool. The grounds are always so beautiful with seasonal flowers. But Christmastime takes the cake -- it is decorated so beautifully inside and out -- it is truly a winter wonderland. There were fire pits alit in the pool; every tree inside and out had lights and decorations; one narrow hallway was decorated with tall nutcrackers and candy canes; and so much more.. We were lucky to see a December wedding take place on the lawn (the weather was unusually warm). There is a tree-lighting ceremony which attracts the whole town and is accompanied by their Festival Choir. When you walk out the main entrance, you are at the main shopping mall with great stores and excellent restaurants within walking distance. Some of my favorite restaurants besides The Blue Pig Tavern, are the Merion Inn, Cucina Rosa, the Mad Batter (for brunch, especially), and Tisha's Fine Dining. I will be there within weeks, and I cannot wait!

Room Tip: I always get an oceanfront room -- I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Congress Hall? Share your experiences!