“Great Off Season Overnight” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Champagne Celebration
Ranked #13 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Hainesport, NJ
“Great Off Season Overnight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently took advantage of a TravelZoo offer. It was priced at an off season (Sunday thru Thursday) rate which was less than half if staying in peak season. We wanted a one night getaway without paying the normal high rates to allow us to experience a stay at this hotel and find out how much we liked it. We have been going to Cape May for almost 40 years and always stay at at B&B.

We totally enjoyed our stay. We had cocktails and appetiziers in the lobby bar on a Sunday night before going out of the hotel for dinner, which was very enjoyable and delicious. Even though it was winter on a Sunday night, the hotel had a "happening" feeling - certainly because there was a Sunday night wedding on this date. Upon check in, which was very pleasant, I felt they upgraded our room because it was off season on a Sunday night and we asked. Our room was clean, very nice bedding and comfortable bed, and overall nice - not what I consider luxurious but I understand they are in keeping with the period. Loved the bathroom, large with separate shower and bathtub. I would have been a bit disappointed if I was paying in season rates with the quality of the room/furnishings. We always enjoy walking around the property and taking a cocktail out and sitting on the porch or oceanfront adirondack chairs - very nice!

If not familar with Cape May, this is a perfect location. This is the only inn in Cape May where you will feel like you staying at a "resort" because of all they have to offer (bars, restaurants, shops, spa, lobby seating areas w/fireplace, etc.) I have had drinks, dinner and just walked around this hotel many times but this was our first overnight stay. I would certainly return again off season but can't justify the high summer rates.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We love Cape May and have been visiting for 30 years, so we’ve seen Congress Hall go through many changes. During our first visit to Cape May we stayed at Congress Hall. It was run down but charming (and inexpensive). I recall we booked the Presidential Suite for $60 per night. Our most recent visits were December 2012 and earlier this month. We will be returning again next month. We have the good fortune of living about an hour and a half away. Close enough to visit often, but far enough to make it feel like a weekend away.

It closed for a time and we were so happy when we heard it was to be renovated and reopened. We’ve been returning ever since. The atmosphere any time of the year is appealing. I find it especially cozy in the winter months with a roaring fire in the Brown Room. And there is a bit of the ethereal, which must be experienced rather than explained.

The bathrooms are period with large, deep tubs. The food at the Blue Pig is good American fare; should you prefer something a bit more refined, Cape May has many great restaurants within walking distance. Parking in Cape May is problematic and the convenience of Congress Hall’s valet parking is a big plus.

I’ve found the hotel staff friendlier recently, however this wasn’t always the case. There’s a lovely estate jewelry store, Victorious, in the lobby.

Overall, I’d recommend Congress Hall, it is a bit pricey, and if you’re going for a quiet, adult retreat stay away from the “child themed” periods such as December/Christmas and Easter. When the Brown Room is teeming with children it loses its sophisticated charm.

Cape May has a lot to offer, the beach, the architecture, fine dining, shopping, antiquing, wineries, local theater, and Congress Hall is a great place from which to enjoy it all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
North Bergen, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked a package for Valentine's Day through an offer I received in my email. However, upon review of the website, Congress Hall offered a Valentine's Day pakage on their site that included breakfast and a free blue pig stuffed animal (as the theme was blue valentine). Upon our stay, we were not given any breakfast, stuffed animal, or anything else to make it more "Valentine's." It was a bit disappointing. Additionally, the walls were quite thin. We were the first room closest to the stair case where there are lounge areas. People were laughing in the hallways until late hours. Additionally, there were patrons outside smoking in the courtyard and singing Broadway showtunes (specifically "Defying Gravity" from Wicked), despite the signs that it was "quiet time." We heard them perfectly from the top floor. Noise really carries through the building.

We loved the building and shops. We thought the location was amazing, central to town shops and restaurants and a short drive to wineries and breweries. In general, it felt like we had stepped into another era, which is part of what we were looking for. The hotel was clean, well kept, and very impressive. The staff was friendly. Room temperatures were great. However, I expected a much more accomodating and relaxing stay, which I did not get. I couldn't imagine how much noisier it is in a busier season.

Room Tip: I've heard that you can request rooms on the far end of the L shaped building that do not have a...
Rutherford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I love Congress Hall in the off-season. Fall, winter, and spring are great times to visit. The service is very good. It is warm and relaxing. Great restaurants, shopping, spas, sightseeing are all available. I like to relax in the cozy lounge with friends for cocktails.
The hotel is decorated in crisp beach colors but retains it's historical ambiance in their restoration.

Room Tip: Town view rooms are less expensive but there's nothing like looking out at the ocean if you want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I have made a habit of visiting Cape May in the off-season. Last year we stayed at a B&B and this year decided to try Congress Hall. We went to experience the "grandeur of yesteryear" and were not disappointed. The weekend was very relaxing. Although we had no problem with our room, the hotel is old and you can hear just about everything in the hallway. It wasn't a problem for us as we were one of only a handful of guests on our floor, but I could see that being an issue when the hotel was full. We really liked the food and the brown room and would definitely return again ... in the off-season.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

First off, this weekend was intended for rest. The first night it sounded like something was loose on the roof ( we were on the top floor) and banged all night. It was like a barn door slamming in the wind. Zero, I mean zero, sleep. We shared this at the desk in the morning, of course they offer to change rooms but that was it. No discounts or free breakfast at least. I mentioned we may stay an extra night to make up for it, I thought they might offer a discount, nope, they just blamed the wind.

Breakfast sucked, I'm sorry but that's the best description I could give. My wife and I eat out often, we know good service and food, this wasn't it. Day one it took 35 minutes to get our food.
Wasn't worth the wait. Day two, my omelet was wrong. Forgot potatoes, jeez there's a couple of eggs and some toast, how do you forget 30% of the plate?! It's convenient but that's it.

My wife said she wouldn't go back, there's other places to stay. I liked the convenience of the lounge but I may follow her lead in this one.

Room Tip: Try a B and B where the owners have a stake in the quality.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
My sincere apologies that your visit was not up to our standard. Our staff should have gone above and beyond to meet your needs to reach satisfaction. Be assured we take your comment very seriously and hope we will have another chance to accommodate you with our true level of hospitality.
South Dennis, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wife's surprise 30th not such a surprise.
Unfortunately, the hotel was incurring power outages during our stay, and this prevented my wife from being able to prepare herself in a timely fashion to meet the 8:30 pm surprise time at the restaurant where everybody was waiting. Fortunately we knew people in the area and were able to utilize their facilities to get ready.
Other than that, the rooms are nice & clean and the help is pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Congress Hall? Share your experiences!