“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

First off, this weekend was intended for rest. The first night it sounded like something was loose on the roof ( we were on the top floor) and banged all night. It was like a barn door slamming in the wind. Zero, I mean zero, sleep. We shared this at the desk in the morning, of course they offer to change rooms but that was it. No discounts or free breakfast at least. I mentioned we may stay an extra night to make up for it, I thought they might offer a discount, nope, they just blamed the wind.

Breakfast sucked, I'm sorry but that's the best description I could give. My wife and I eat out often, we know good service and food, this wasn't it. Day one it took 35 minutes to get our food.
Wasn't worth the wait. Day two, my omelet was wrong. Forgot potatoes, jeez there's a couple of eggs and some toast, how do you forget 30% of the plate?! It's convenient but that's it.

My wife said she wouldn't go back, there's other places to stay. I liked the convenience of the lounge but I may follow her lead in this one.

Room Tip: Try a B and B where the owners have a stake in the quality.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
My sincere apologies that your visit was not up to our standard. Our staff should have gone above and beyond to meet your needs to reach satisfaction. Be assured we take your comment very seriously and hope we will have another chance to accommodate you with our true level of hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
South Dennis, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wife's surprise 30th not such a surprise.
Unfortunately, the hotel was incurring power outages during our stay, and this prevented my wife from being able to prepare herself in a timely fashion to meet the 8:30 pm surprise time at the restaurant where everybody was waiting. Fortunately we knew people in the area and were able to utilize their facilities to get ready.
Other than that, the rooms are nice & clean and the help is pleasant.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We visit cape may every year and this time decided to try congress hall. Overall all went well but I was not impressed with the room or comfort of the bed. The bathroom however was very cute. We had an ocean view king room with balcony. I enjoyed having the shops available in the hotel along with one of our favorite breakfast spots blue pig, however, not sure we will return for our stay. We will be back to enjoy the restaurant and gift shops but the rooms just did not impress me. The staff was very kind that is always a plus! Enjoy if you stay here!

• Stayed October 2012
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are wowed every time by the staff at this hotel. Unequivocably the finest group we have experienced, including at Four Seasons or Ritz. Classy, friendly, well groomed and smiling. The front desk staff to the managers of the hotel (general manager, Blue Pig restaurant, wait staff, etc.) are all amazing. The hotel...a true classic. Roaring real wood fires in the lounge and the restaurant that are kept stoked, real candles lighting up surfaces, great music, super drinks. Our room was brilliant in the winter sunlight, white duvets, immaculate bath, crisp sheets that rustled on a super comfortable bed. We go back time after time. If you get charm, class, the real deal, and are willing to blend rather than try to change perfection, you will love this place. Simply the best the shore has to offer, and Cape May IS the best of the shore in our opinion.

Room Tip: If you can get Room 426, try. It is awesome in the winter on a sunny day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been coming to Congress Hall in winter since 2006 and it is a wonderful,relaxing get-away. The ambience is superb! I love being in a building that reminds me of historical
times. The service was excellent beginning at check in. Amanda selected a lovely room on the 4th floor. We enjoyed delicious meals at the Blue Pig Tavern. What a great way to get rid of winter doldrums! I look forward to it every winter!

• Stayed January 2013
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The rooms were nice, however the service was not as good as I expected. Yes it was off season I do give them that. But we were nickle and dimmed, double charged for our room (glad we caught it) and overcharged on the wine we ordered at dinner. There was nothing extra special about our stay. Had a living social voucher for the spa but it was not open. I don't plan on going back and advise not to go off season.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I took my sister to the Congress Hall for an extended weekend for her Birthday. The room was clean. Filled with Old Colonial Charm. The Housekeeping staff was somewhat friendly. The issues we had were the bathroom sink did not empty at out quickly causing someone brushing their teeth or washing face to shut it off so it could empty. Another issue was the staff was on the noisey side at a very early weekend 6:00am emptying outdoor trash/bottles banging loudly, and slamming doors. There also were no dressers to put clothes away in, which kind of surprised me as we were there for three days and at the room rates being slightly on the high side I would have thought the rooms would have been more accomodating. In the halls there were roomservice dishes left outside neighboring rooms for lengthy periods of time, like almost the full few days we were there. At one point I had to ask housekeeping to remove a large tray with food on it as it started to smell. The Brown Room was very enjoyable, the Blue Pig was great for breakfast, although there were only two of us the table was extrememly small; not enough room for coffee cups, juice glasses, plates and condiments, very very tight. We had masasges in the Sea Spa which were delightful! Not a single complaint there! Over all we enjoyed our stay, but at the room rates I think we could do better somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don''t over pack as there are no dressers to store your clothes in!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Congress Hall? Share your experiences!