“Not Helpful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Succasunna, New Jersey
“Not Helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love this place and am a frequent visitor. However when I called them on January 15 to try to switch my room with another, the woman who answered the phone was neither friendly or helpful. She made it sound like I was bothering her. Other than that, I've never had a problem with this B&B. I totally recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hi Michelle.

I'm so sorry about this experience on the phone with one of my staff. It is very important to Anna Marie and me that every caller receive friendly, courteous, and professional service when they reach out to us. It is hard to imagine why or how one of our reservation staff treated you in this manner, as they are all long-time employees who really care about what they do. No matter what stressful situation they may have been dealing with at the moment you called, it should have been set aside so that the could treat you in the VIP manner that I expect all callers to receive.

Thank you for your frequent visits. I'm so glad that you "love this place". I hope this experience won't diminish your feelings about The Queen Victoria.

Doug McMain

764 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Quite simply....you'll want for nothing !!! They have it all !!! There are a variety of rooms and buildings to choose. It's very very well maintained...on par with Disneyworld. The breakfasts are different and scrumptious. Tea time is also unique (leave room for a great Cape May dinner). Doug and Ann Marie fill in any gaps of indecision, to make your Cape May visit complete.

Room Tip: Go often.....try as many as you can, they have 4 buildings.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Wow, what a great review! Thanks so much. The Disney comparison is high praise, indeed. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit with us so much. Please follow your own advice and come visit us again soon!

Narberth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Queen Victoria Bed and Breakfast offers complete comfort and luxury a couple of blocks from the Cape May beach, but it really is so much more than just that. The innkeepers, Doug and Anna Marie McMain, and their incredible staff, have created an environment that keeps people like us coming back year after year. We have enjoyed all seasons at the Queen Vic, and we have made friends there, as many people return at the same time each year. It's a perfect place for cyclists (right near the Cape May/Lewes Delaware ferry), birders, ocean swimmer/surfers, foodies...we've walked on a nearly deserted beach during the winter holidays, and swum with crowds in a warm august ocean. During the off season (which is really the greatest time to do... absolutely crowd free) there are incredible weeknight deals, too, for affordable luxury. We always feel like royalty at the Queen Vic.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great... it depends what you are looking for! Photos are on the website and are a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for this wonderful review (is this Beth? I don't know too many people from Narberth PA). It is always such a pleasure to have you stay with us. You ARE royalty as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad you feel that way when you're at The Queen Victoria. See you in August!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We spent a romantic 2 nights at The Queen Victoria Inn in December 2013. The food and the hospitality were first class. Very friendly and warm hosts that create a wonderful atmosphere.
Thank You for a very memorable time. Harry & Kathi

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post this review Harry. I'm glad that your visit to The Queen Victoria was a romantic one ... that is certainly one of our goals for our guests. Cape May is such a romantic place to start with, that you just can't help but feel that way. I hope we'll get to see you again soon.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Even though our stay at The Queen Victoria was only one night, I feel I need to share our experience and give kudos to Doug and Anna Marie.
First of course is the Queen Victoria itself. Its truly a beautiful victorian bed and breakfast. We had the pleasure of staying in the Prince of Wales, large standard room on the second floor. Loved it! Even had a glimpse of the ocean from our window. Its apparent the owners take great care and pride in providing a beautiful, welcoming "home" for your time in Cape May. The breakfast and afternoon tea were delicious and having a stocked pantry available 24hrs a day for coffee or cold beverages was appreciated.
But what really made the greatest impression on us was the little extra touches that made our stay special. From the "welcome back" card and small gift in our room on arrival to the birthday treats left at turndown. It's the extra step everyone at Queen Victoria seems to take that I believe sets it apart. This was our first winter trip to Cape May but we enjoyed it so much that we plan on making it a yearly must do. And of course we'll be staying at the Queen Victoria!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
What a lovely review. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad that your short birthday celebration at The Queen Victoria was a fun one for you. I'm really pleased that you noticed and appreciated some of the special little extra things we try to do for our guests. We truly want your experience at The Queen Victoria to be special and memorable (in a good way, of course). Of course, fact that you returned to The Queen Victoria for your birthday celebration is what we're most thankful for.

Hope you have a great year until we see you again!

Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our fourth New Year at the Queen Victoria and I am pleased to report that my husband and I had another fabulous visit!

We've previously stayed in the Knightsbridge, Westminster and Balmoral rooms- which were all lovely... This year we were in Chelsea, a beautifully decorated room on the third floor of their Prince Albert Hall building equipped with a spacious bathroom and a charming little balcony...

What always strikes me when we visit the Queen Victoria is how much the innkeepers Doug & Anna Marie obviously love their inn and how much they want their guests to enjoy it. It's evident how much thought and attention goes into every detail of a guest's experience from the attractive and historically authentic decor in each of their four buildings (ask them to tell you about it!), to the bountiful breakfast they serve each morning, the afternoon tea and goodies (and they are good!), nightly turn down service, and all the little extras they include at no extra charge: 24 hour coffee, tea, water and soft drinks, bikes, beach chairs, etc.

Doug and Anna Marie and the rest of the staff make a point of getting to know you and your preferences so that by your second breakfast they remember what room you're in, whether you drink tea or coffee (decaf or regular) and any other personal preferences you've shared with them...Although I assume that the inn is how they make their living... it never feels like a "business". Instead - it feels like you're visiting with friends who really care about whether you enjoy yourself or not.

Would like to especially mention Tracy who took such good care of us when we "breakfasted" at the House of Royals most mornings and who I understand is responsible for the exquisite and extensive holiday decorations throughout the inn...

I highly recommend the Queen Victoria to anyone who wants a relaxing time away in a warm and inviting place with kind and gracious hosts. We'll be back!

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thanks for this wonderful review Jane. We really do want our guests to have a spectacular time while they are staying at The Queen Victoria and we'll do just about anything we can to insure it. I'm so glad that you've enjoyed your time(s) here so much. As you mentioned, we all care a lot about your experience. We're very fortunate to have a great staff who are always willing to go the extra mile to make sure that your visit is everything it can be. Tracy really is a gem, and I'll make sure that she sees this review!

Thanks so much for making The Queen Victoria your New Years tradition. I wish you a great year, which I hope ends with another visit to Cape May.

Thanks again,

Wading River, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visit the Queen Victoria each year around the holidays. We find that we stay up really late and get up really early. We do not want to have our eyes closed for a single moment longer than absolutely necessary. That is how beautiful this place is.

The food and hospitality are beyond compare. Do yourself a favor...book a stay immediately.

Room Tip: If you can get the signature room "The Queen Victoria," you will not be disappointed.
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thanks so much for this great review. I'm so glad that your annual Christmas season visit was another great one for you. It is always a pleasure seeing you and I'm really glad that I had a chance to have a couple of great chats with you both.

I hope that your New Year celebration was a good one and that 2014 treats you both very well.

Thanks,

Doug

Been to The Queen Victoria? Share your experiences!