“Lovely!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Princeton
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our party of three recently visited The Queen Victoria in Cape May, NJ for two nights and were more than satisfied with our visit. One of the members of our party was from Europe and found the inn to be particularly charming! The B&B is a throwback in time with a wonderful Victorian ambiance but modern conveniences. Doug, our convival innkeeper, made sure that all was well and was most attentive. The inn has bicycles guests can use which was appreciated. We would certainly consider staying at The Queen Victoria the next time we're in Cape May!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
It was such a pleasure to meet the three of you during your visit to The Queen Victoria. I'm glad that you all enjoyed your stay with us. I imagine that Cape May (and The Queen Victoria, of course) was a real treat for Alexsandra, being so different from Rome.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review. I hope we'll have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Beverly, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary at the Queen Victoria in beautiful Cape May, NJ. While this wasn't our first trip to the seashore resort, it was the first experience we had staying at a B & B.
With so many lovely B & B's from which to choose, and after researching through many of them online, we opted to stay at the Queen Victoria. Our room was the Osbourne and, while not in the main building, it was conveniently located just across the street.
The Osbourne Room had it's own personal off street parking and a private entrance. Our room was spacious, neat and clean. A gas burning fireplace was a nice touch.
The bathroom consisted of a jacuzzi heart-shaped tub and a sink with large counter area. It also had a towel warmer which we were unable to use since no directions were left nor would the light illuminate indicating that the unit was operating. The toilet was in a small "closet" apart from the tub and sink which we really liked.
After arriving on Sunday afternoon, we walked to the main house for afternoon tea. Several hot teas were served as well as crackers with a southwestern spread and an assortment of cookies and small square chewy-type bars. Unfortunately, I was unable to try the yummy looking bars or some of the cookies because they contained nuts which I can't eat. Nor can I eat anything spicy which I'm betting was the basis for the spread.
We opted out of breakfast both days....just a personal decision.
We did experience a slight problem with the jacuzzi tub. Upon filling the tub and after running the jets we noticed an oily film on the surface of the water. We didn't think that bath oils were permitted in a jacuzzi tub. After calling the main house, someone did come and clean the tub. Maybe it should be noted somewhere that bath oils shouldn't be used in a jacuzzi tub. Bath salts seem to be fine.
One of the carbon monoxide detectors was continuously beeping and a call was placed. A worker promptly arrived and changed the batteries in the detector and also changed them in the TV controller.
Just a few glitches, however, didn't ruin our stay. I would suggest that when people are making reservations to stay here that the staff ask if anyone has any particular food sensitivities or allergies. We've stayed at the Victorian Inn located in Luray, Virginia and the very first thing asked is regarding food allergies or preferences. This was really appreciated since both my husband and I do have food allergies and sensitivities to seeds and nuts.
Though our time away at the Queen Victoria was pleasant, we're going to try some other B & B's during our next trip to Cape May. It's a lovely place to visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi James. Thank you so much for choosing The Queen Victoria to celebrate your 1st anniversary. I appreciate you taking the time to post such a thoughtful review.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy any of the food that we prepared for either breakfast or tea. I'm pretty sure that you would, had you tried it. We actually make quite an effort when planning our menus to be sure that there are always nut-free options both at breakfast and tea, so I'm a little mystified by your tea experience. The Afternoon Tea you are referring to we served "Pecan Pie Bars", which clearly would have been a problem for you, but also "Cranberry Oatmeal" cookies, as well as "Cinnamon Roll-ups", both of which are nut-free. Perhaps you mistook the white chocolate chips for nuts. The spread you mentioned was our "South of the Border" spread, which is made with cream cheese and mild salsa ... not very spicy at all. We always clearly label all of our tea items and we are happy to look up any recipe from our cookbook if there is any question about anything we serve. With 70 guests in the house when we are full we cannot prepare custom meals like some smaller inns, but we do try to provide a nice variety of items so that everyone can dine well during their visit to The Queen Victoria, no matter what dietary restrictions they might have.

I'm also sorry that you were inconvenienced with a couple of items in your room, including the battery in the CO2 detector and some oils in your whirlpool tub. I'm glad that my staff addressed your issues quickly upon your reporting of them. You are right, in our room book located in each guest room we specifically request that our guests do not use bath-oils in our tubs and opt for the bath-salts that we provide as an amenity to each guest. Unfortunately, there are some people in the world that are going to do exactly as they please, no matter what we request.

I'm sorry to hear that you've determined to stay elsewhere on your next visit to Cape May. I hope you find a perfect home in Cape May for yourself during your future visits. Cape May really is a special place, as you mentioned in your review.
Pitman NJ, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were "sold" from the minute we walked in for information. Doug greeted us, offered us "treats", gave us a full tour of the main building. . .we didn't have to look any further we booked our room right then and there. We were not disappointed during our stay, the food at both breakfast and tea was delicious and plentiful. A wonderful selection of food to satisfy everyone's taste and appetite. The beds were comfortable and the comfort items in the room beyond expectation. I so enjoyed the herbal bath grains and bayberry soap, I bought some to take home. Everyone on staff was warm, welcoming and helpful. The location is perfect, just two blocks from the beach and two blocks from all the shops and eateries on the Washington Street Mall. They will recommend restaurants and make reservations if you like, since our stay was early in the season, they even called a favorite eatery to make sure it was open before we drove there. This visit was for some "girls time" with my Mom and I am hoping we can go back again soon and I am hoping to celebrate our wedding anniversary there next January.

Room Tip: it depends on your wants and needs, if you are not able to visit before hand, ask and they will tell...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your "Girls Getaway" with your Mom at The Queen Victoria so much Lynn. Those treats do the trick every time :) Though Cape May is known as a romantic destination, it is a great girlfriend getaway town too. Maybe it is all the great shopping.

I was just thinking that your January anniversary is a long way off still and you'll probably run out of the Bayberry soap you purchased long before then. You'll definitely have to find an excuse for a return trip soon. I promise we'll feed you well again!

Thanks for the review.

Deptford, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visit the Queen Victoria for the first time in Cape May. It is wonderful place to stay, Clean, the food is great Anna Marie & Doug can't do enough to make you feel at home & comfortable. They are right there for all your needs.The rooms for beautiful too. If you visit Cape May NJ, That is the place to stay. My husband will definetly be back.
R & D Lawrence

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks so much for your endorsement! I agree that we are the best place to stay, but I'm a little biased. My wife Anna Marie and I will do anything we can to insure that our guests have the best possible Cape May experience. I'm so glad that it worked out that way for you.

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Downingtown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It seems repetitive to keep reviewing the Queen Victoria because every year I say the same thing! But I am always so satisfied and thankful I want everyone to know that in a world where customer service seems to be faltering, The Queen Victoria shines!
My husband and I celebrate our anniversary in Cape May every year and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere but here. It is a perfect place to relax, be pampered, eat WELL, enjoy some culture, ocean views, shopping, and good company.
Every room is lovely. Anna Marie and Doug are the perfect hosts. Their staff is competant and friendly. Each year we meet such nice people, some we have kept in touch with. We look forward to our stay each year and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: We have now stayed in each building of the inn. All of our rooms have been beautiful. There are lots...
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks so much for making The Queen Victoria your "Go To" Anniversary destination. We're lucky to have so many couples celebrating their anniversaries with us every year. There are usually more than one every single day of the year!

I'm also pleased that you enjoy our food so much. Between our breakfasts and Afternoon Teas, I'm afraid that not too many of our guests are frequenting our wonderful local restaurants for lunch.

Now that you've tried each building, you need to set your sites on staying in each room. It sounds like a fun goal to me.

Thanks again,

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I surprise my wife with a weekend stay at the Queen Victoria's newest addition the Empress room and it's beautifully down with some modern touches. The staff was super friendly and very helpful with their recommendation. Two thumbs up to Marie for recommending the Blue Pig Tavern. It was late and we haven't eaten anything all day and she mention this place was still open and had good food. We also met Ann Marie as well and she too was super kind and very helpful. The Queen Victoria is 2 blocks away from the beach and from Washington st which is your main street for everything. You're pretty much at the center of it all with everything at a walk-able distance. We'll definitely make another visit/stay with the Queen Victoria.

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed our newest room the "Empress". We designed it to have all the latest and most desirable amenities. It sounds like you had a great time in Cape May. I'm also glad that Maria was able to recommend a great restaurant for you upon your arrival. We spend a fair amount of time keeping track of which restaurants will be open which nights (especially in the "shoulder season") so that we can make great recommendations to our guests.

I hope we will get to see you again soon. Maybe your wife will surprise you with a return visit soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had very nice stay at The Queen Victoria; the Crown Jewel was simply lovely. It was nice to be able to come back from a long day of adventuring and relax by the fire and read our books or watch TV (many thanks to housekeeping for being spot on every time!). While we were there in the off season, I can see why any of their rooms that have a designated parking spot would be ideal in-season – I would highly recommend, for peace of mind, to book one of those rooms if possible. The main house is lovely and well maintained, as was our little cottage type room. We did not have time to tour the other buildings, but judging by the main house I am sure they are enjoyable as well. I cannot comment on breakfast as we are not joiners for communal morning meals. We like having our tea/coffee on our own - thankfully the cottage afforded us that ability. Another bonus of that room is a fully stocked fridge of drinks and a private coffee/tea maker. They replenish twice a day – very generous.

Most notably it is the absolute perfect location in historic Cape May. It is close to the shore, to shopping and restaurants – all within a short walking distance. We spent an entire afternoon wandering the shops in the Washington Street mall. We lunched there are, got coffee there and did lots and LOTS of shopping there! The QV offers bicycles as well – which is a definite bonus if you want to roam more of the historic neighborhoods.

While I am sure the innkeepers are very lovely, the one downer note for us was that the moment we walked in the door we were asked for our credit card to complete payment immediately. We have stayed at lot of B&Bs and never once has that been done, it is very off putting. It would be nice to just be welcomed and get settled into vacation.

We would like to return again during another season – it was a relaxing and enjoyable vacation!

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a very thoughtful and complete review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Queen Victoria during your recent visit to Cape May. Though I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you, I was pleased to meet your husband one morning when I assisted him with your breakfast tray.

I wanted to take a moment to address your feelings about being asked for payment upon your arrival. I understand exactly where you are coming from, as most B&Bs, which are almost universally smaller than The Queen Victoria, typically ask for payment upon departure. There are 2 reasons we handle it as we do. First, we've found that when 20 to 30 couples are checking out in a 30-40 minute window on departure day, it is virtually impossible to keep up with their expectations of fast service if we process their payment at that time. Secondly, as you mentioned in your review, we are very generous with amenities like complimentary beverages, bicycles, etc., leaving virtually no added costs that need to be included on the invoice prior to departure. I'm very sorry that this put you off. If we are fortunate enough to have you as return guests in the future, we'll take care of settling your bill upon departure (I've made a note of your preference).

Thank you so much for choosing The Queen Victoria for your accommodations in Cape May. I hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Doug

Been to The Queen Victoria? Share your experiences!