“Wonderful stay at the Queen Victoria B&B” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   102 Ocean Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful stay at the Queen Victoria B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I surprise my wife with a weekend stay at the Queen Victoria's newest addition the Empress room and it's beautifully down with some modern touches. The staff was super friendly and very helpful with their recommendation. Two thumbs up to Marie for recommending the Blue Pig Tavern. It was late and we haven't eaten anything all day and she mention this place was still open and had good food. We also met Ann Marie as well and she too was super kind and very helpful. The Queen Victoria is 2 blocks away from the beach and from Washington st which is your main street for everything. You're pretty much at the center of it all with everything at a walk-able distance. We'll definitely make another visit/stay with the Queen Victoria.

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed our newest room the "Empress". We designed it to have all the latest and most desirable amenities. It sounds like you had a great time in Cape May. I'm also glad that Maria was able to recommend a great restaurant for you upon your arrival. We spend a fair amount of time keeping track of which restaurants will be open which nights (especially in the "shoulder season") so that we can make great recommendations to our guests.

I hope we will get to see you again soon. Maybe your wife will surprise you with a return visit soon!

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had very nice stay at The Queen Victoria; the Crown Jewel was simply lovely. It was nice to be able to come back from a long day of adventuring and relax by the fire and read our books or watch TV (many thanks to housekeeping for being spot on every time!). While we were there in the off season, I can see why any of their rooms that have a designated parking spot would be ideal in-season – I would highly recommend, for peace of mind, to book one of those rooms if possible. The main house is lovely and well maintained, as was our little cottage type room. We did not have time to tour the other buildings, but judging by the main house I am sure they are enjoyable as well. I cannot comment on breakfast as we are not joiners for communal morning meals. We like having our tea/coffee on our own - thankfully the cottage afforded us that ability. Another bonus of that room is a fully stocked fridge of drinks and a private coffee/tea maker. They replenish twice a day – very generous.

Most notably it is the absolute perfect location in historic Cape May. It is close to the shore, to shopping and restaurants – all within a short walking distance. We spent an entire afternoon wandering the shops in the Washington Street mall. We lunched there are, got coffee there and did lots and LOTS of shopping there! The QV offers bicycles as well – which is a definite bonus if you want to roam more of the historic neighborhoods.

While I am sure the innkeepers are very lovely, the one downer note for us was that the moment we walked in the door we were asked for our credit card to complete payment immediately. We have stayed at lot of B&Bs and never once has that been done, it is very off putting. It would be nice to just be welcomed and get settled into vacation.

We would like to return again during another season – it was a relaxing and enjoyable vacation!

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a very thoughtful and complete review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Queen Victoria during your recent visit to Cape May. Though I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you, I was pleased to meet your husband one morning when I assisted him with your breakfast tray.

I wanted to take a moment to address your feelings about being asked for payment upon your arrival. I understand exactly where you are coming from, as most B&Bs, which are almost universally smaller than The Queen Victoria, typically ask for payment upon departure. There are 2 reasons we handle it as we do. First, we've found that when 20 to 30 couples are checking out in a 30-40 minute window on departure day, it is virtually impossible to keep up with their expectations of fast service if we process their payment at that time. Secondly, as you mentioned in your review, we are very generous with amenities like complimentary beverages, bicycles, etc., leaving virtually no added costs that need to be included on the invoice prior to departure. I'm very sorry that this put you off. If we are fortunate enough to have you as return guests in the future, we'll take care of settling your bill upon departure (I've made a note of your preference).

Thank you so much for choosing The Queen Victoria for your accommodations in Cape May. I hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Colchester, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed in a lovely suite in Prince Albert Hall.The room was perfect and every possible detail was already taken care of. The breakfasts were wonderful and Anne Marie was a perfect hostess. It was nice to chat with the other guests and we felt very welcome from the start. Would not hesitate to stay here again as we had a lovely visit to Cape May. The Queen Victoria is beautiful and the location was near to everything. One block from the beach and one block to the Washington St Mall with shopping and restaurants all within walking distance. Very lovely bed and breakfast, great room and great food. We will be back for sure! Thanks for a lovely time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I love that User Name! Thanks so much for choosing The Queen Victoria for your Cape May get-away. I really glad that you enjoyed everything so much. I agree that my lovely wife is the perfect hostess!

I'm not sure how soon/often you'll be able to return all the way from Vermont, but we'll be thrilled to see you again, anytime.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Two of us had a very good experience here once before, so when we needed a place to assemble nine family members for a special occasion we booked four rooms. Everything went beautifully from the first contact on the phone, and all of us had a wonderful time. All the rooms were very clean and splendidly appointed. Breakfasts and afternoon teas were excellent. Amenities were first-rate. Use of bicycles is free. The owners and staff are very warm and welcoming, and we felt that all our needs were taken care of. Their dinner recommendation (Tisha's) was a crowd-pleaser. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Queen Victoria room is extra special - we requested it for ourselves on this return visit.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feelings about The Queen Victoria with the Tripadvisor world. We're always thrilled to have family groups stay with us. It was truly a pleasure getting to meet your family. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed themselves. We'd be thrilled to be our family get together place again in the future.

Thanks,

Secaucus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

What a treat to share a first hand experience with a unique bed and breakfast that shares three distinct buildings! Each one has rooms and individual character of its own! We shared the breakfast in a different building as we also had the afternoon tea in another.Each place serves an impeccable delight of dips, souffles, homemade breads and crackers, petite mouthwatering desserts and your own personal pot of tea The lady of the house makes a great strawberry jam! The innkeepers are at your service with making reservations to the restaurant of your choice and personal recommendations to local restaurants and attractions.The access to the heart of the town was footsteps away with numerous boutiques to service every purse and shopoholic! The Inn has a parking area and bkes ! Definitely a keeper on the list of B&B's!!

Room Tip: Describe your likes and dislikes when you make a reservation. Describe what you personally like as a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for the beautiful review Anna. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your Queen Victoria experience so much. It was a pleasure meeting you during your visit. I hope we'll get to see you again some time soon!

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very nice B&B. This was my first experience and I was quite pleased! Would go back! Place was neat and clean and in great walking distance to the downtown area and pedestrian plaza. The inn keepers were very personable and the breakfast was very good.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review Eric. I'm happy to hear that your first B&B experience was a good one. I'm glad that you mentioned our location in the review. We really are perfectly situated, just steps from almost everything you could ever want to do in Cape May.

Thanks again. I hope that we'll get to see you again soon.
Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Sometimes it is the small things that make all the difference between good and great. the Queen Victoria owners and staff pay attention to the details. From the fancy napkin folds at breakfast each day, to the immaculate cleanliness of the rooms, to the flower beds outside, the Queen Victoria cares. They watch over each detail with precision and it pays off. It is hard to know where to start. The rooms are well appointed, high quality beds with nice linens and plenty of space to spread out. The morning breakfasts are all prepared well with high quality ingredients, fresh juice, hot coffee, etc. etc. The afternoon teas each day are a good way to meet your fellow travelers over tea and something sweet or savory. The owners know Cape May and are willing to share their ideas and thoughts on where to go, what to do, where to eat. They always steered us to wonderful choices. Welcoming, friendly, comfortable, helpful, enjoyable --the Queen Victoria is a place we shall return. It is that good.

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
What a wonderful review. It sounds like you truly made the most of your visit to Cape May and The Queen Victoria! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We spend a lot of time on all the little details that you mentioned, so it is very gratifying to read about your appreciation of them.

I was thrilled to read that you are planning on return visit. I hope we get to see you again soon!

Thanks again,

Doug

Been to The Queen Victoria? Share your experiences!