“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Innkeepers Susan and Elon are the perfect host, they were very attentive and extremely friendly. Leith Hall is located 1/4 block from the beach and a few blocks from the center of town.
I stayed only one night in the checkerboard room, which does not have a bathroom ensuite. I was concerned about not having a bathroom in the room but, soon got over it when I learned that the bathroom was close by and was not used by any of the other quests. I recommend that you get up early and go to bed late so that you can enjoy the great wrap around porch.
I will be returning the next time I am in Cape May. M. Cort

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Du Quoin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at Leith Hall for three days. The breakfasts were delicious and the service was very good. Susan was extremely helpful and very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ardsley, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

To say Susan and Elan are wonderful innkeepers is, indeed, an understatement, as they really went out of their way to be helpful. The accommodations, food, and services were certainly beyond reproach, and both Susan and Elan were constantly attentive to their guests' needs. Leith Hall is, indeed, highly recommended, and certain hope to return soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I'll keep it simple. The 3 G's, Great room, Great food,Great service. The hosts are fantastic.
Close to the beach (1/2 block) and centrally located. We will be returning the next time we are in
Cape May.
Stan Kanowicz

Room Tip: We were happy with the the Empire Room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Our much anticipated getaway to Cape May exceeded all expectations!
The comfort and Victorian beauty of our Turkish Room and stimulating breakfast conversation, accompanied by a delicious breakfast all made for a perfect weekend.
Of course, our sincere appreciation to Elon for a birthday cake that was truly an epicurean delight. We certainly look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Well, this past weekend I returned to Leith Hall for my second visit, (see my review of the first visit written August 10, 2010, (and quite comprehensive). This time I brought along my son (28), and my very active (still gainfully employed as a university professor) mother, for a relaxing, quiet off-season mini-vacation. We were not disappointed. The trip was everything we'd hoped for as far as being comfortable, quiet, and close to the ocean--just for browsing--still too cold to venture in.

The inn was very well kept--I'd guess that the exterior had been repainted in the two years since we'd last visited, as it didn't need painting in the summer of 2010 and didn't need painting now. And, if you know anything about keeping up properties this close to salt water, you'd realize how well the owners must be keeping up with the maintenance, because everything looked lovely to me. I'm not sure what a previous reviewer was talking about, but they must have just hit the short interval between paintings. While I'm discussing a prior review,(Our visit was so recent, and I've been watching Downton Abby, it was hard to not write "whilst") I would also like to address the wicker furniture in our suite. We stayed in the Audubon Suite on the first floor. It was furnished with a wicker settee and some wicker armchairs, which were historically accurate for a well restored Victorian seashore house, and we found them quite comfortable, so it shows the subjective nature of describing furnishings under such circumstances. Of course we also had walnut, mahogany, and brass pieces throughout. (And let's not leave out the nod to the 21st century in the guise of the largish flat screen TV and DVD player in the parlor and the mini fridge in the hall which came in really handy for keeping yogurt and great restaurant left overs for snacks, AND the free wireless internet service if you can't be separated from you laptop). (Since I mentioned restaurants, I can heartily recommend Tisha's which recently moved it's location to the Washington Street Mall--it ranked highly to me, even compared to the best Philadelphia and NY have to offer, and I liked it much better than the highly lauded Washington Inn.)

The Hall's owners, Susie and Elan were just as friendly and helpful as on my first visit, and they remembered me. They manage walking this fine line between being easy and interesting to talk to and not being the least bit obtrusive, if you prefer to be left alone.

I had wanted this to be just a follow-up review to reconfirm the great experience we had two summers ago at high season. It is starting to turn into something overblown so I will stop now. Maybe I will come back to it later if I think of something new to add. Just be sure to read my earlier review which has some more detailed and important information on the Hall to be certain your expectations are realistic and on par with what Susie and Elan Zingman-Leith have in mind. (They are well-published, world traveled ex-pat New Yorkers-see their profile at: http://www.leithhall.com/index.php/leith-hall-inn-at-beach/meet-susan-and-elan/ )

The big question--would I go back again? Absolutely yes. It satisfies my need to experience a well-run beautifully appointed Victorian summer seashore house. The breakfast and afternoon tea is still superb, and worth coming back for if you've ventured away for antiquing or beach walking. I can pretend that I'm staying at my great, great Aunt's summer home, albeit with a little anachronistic TV and computer use. Hope these reviews are of some help to you.

p.s. About amusing the 28-year-old--he came along to help me with mobility issues as I am using a wheel chair. Luckily he has a serious addiction to gardening--especially historically accurate period gardens and nurseries. Elan was able to steer him to several places to see and buy--so he was in gardener hobbyist's heaven. I'm not sure a more typical 28 year old would be as good a sport about vacationing in Cape May.

Room Tip: Several of the rooms have gas fireplaces, which in addition to being picturesque, really do take the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pennsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife booked the room as part of the Sherlock Holmes weekend. We loved the room and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfasts were great and the set up in the parlor and library area led to good conversations between the proprietors, Susan and Elon, and the other guests. The afternoon dessert and tea time is something I already miss, barely there an hour and I'm enjoying iced brownies, hot tea, and crossword puzzles. That neighbors drop by during tea time and chat was great, it just added to the welcome feeling. The other great thing was the location for the Sherlock Holmes weekend. The Hall was located within pleasant walking distance to all the events, even the walk to the Physick House was not as far as we thought. I have read some of the other reviews for Leith Hall and I can't believe those contributors were staying at the same place I was. All I can say is that on the Monday after we returned from Cape May, as I looked at my bowl of cold cereal and thought of the fruit and sausage and French toast I had enjoyed just 24 hours previously, I wanted to cry.

Room Tip: The Turkish suite is probably the most spacious room and you can see the ocean from it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Leith Hall? Share your experiences!