“Don't book them through a travel agent!” 2 of 5 stars

The Chalfonte
301 Howard St., Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
st. paul mn
“Don't book them through a travel agent!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We were suppose to stay there in June. We booked them through a travel agent. We were told that we would not be charged until check-in. Next day the hotel charged our account and caused us overdraft fees and refused to acknowledge that they shouldn't have charged us until we checked in. We even printed the papers from the travel agent which stated that they shouldn't have charged us. Then they charged us $25 to cancel the room so we wouldn't get more overdraft fees. This could have been resolved if they would have credited us back the full amount that they took from us and offered us accommodations, instead we have to look for accommodations somewhere else and we are stuck with huge overdraft fees because of them. We have filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Northern New Jersy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I am writing this now because I was so very disgusted with my dinner at the Chalfonte. My husband & I along with our 2 children decided to take my Father & Mother who were celebrating their 80 birthday to have some true southern cooked dinner. I've heard how great the food was at the Magnolia Room and was thrilled to get the chance to spoil my parents! After a 1/2 hr wait then an hour or more wait for our food which was almost inedible, I could have cried! The food was bland, tasteless, and so mediocre. I've gone to better tricky tray dinners at the worst banquet halls. I called the manager later who was most apologetic and offered to credit my meal. We paid in cash so she took my info & promised me a full refund. That never came. I sent to emails that went unanswered (via the website) and finally threw my hands up. I don't mind paying good money for a fair meal but this was unbelievable and embarrassing. Shame on them!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I enjoyed the Chalfonte very much. I like the simplicity and the dinning room was excellent!! Great place for families and very kid friendly. I loved dinning on the porches. The price was also much better than the other hotels I called. Only drawback for me was the limited availability of wifi.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cape May, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

I wrote a review on Oct. 11,2008 and it has not appeared in print. I am really upset with the dinner at the Magnolia Room at the Chalfonte and wanted the owners to be aware of this terrible experience. I am a local person and was embarrassed.

• Liked — only had dinner at Magnolia Room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed with my wife and two little kids three nights in the Chalfonte. The first two nights we stayed in the Cottage. There we had two bedrooms which were simple but nice. Good thing: We had our own terrasse. The bath room was outside the room, which was ok but it needs some serious upgrades and it was dirty.
The last night we stayed in the main building where we shared a large room with two king size beds. Also this room was nice with a lot of light. Again the bathroom was outside the room - this time the bathroom looked much better and was clean.

The staff in the restaurant was just perfect and very friendly. They made us feel like at home.

The service at the reception was mixed: Two ladies were very friendly, one was really unfriendly, arrogant and also partially hostile. I needed to change the address on my invoice which was somehow very difficult due to restrictions of the Chalfonte IT-System. While the older lady did the utmost to meet my wishes the younger one was really unfriendly. Due to the fact that I left more than 800 USD in this place I would have expected that all service staff meets regular kindness standards.

• Liked — Atmosphere, location, service in restaurant
  • Disliked — One young lady at the reception needs to be trained in basic customer service - The other at the reception were great
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

My husband, 4 year old son and I stayed at the Chalfonte the last week in July. We got a room with a private bath so we didn't have to walk down the hall in the middle of the night- but the hotel wasn't crowded so I think we would have been fine getting a room without a bath. The rooms are plain and somewhat boring- but I was looking for a cheap place to stay that was near the beach and kid friendly so this worked. We stayed for 3 nights- breakfast and dinner included for 775 dollars total. I thought it was a bargain- my husband thought it should have been less due to the no tv, no airconditioning and only 1 outlet in the room. I really enjoyed the kids dining room- fantastic idea to keep the kids together while the adults eat. Overall the trip was fantastic- but I am going to try a different hotel the next time I visit cape may.

• Liked — Price and Location
  • Disliked — Walls could use some color- very white
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

A close acquaintance used my laptop and booked the hotel for the that very day instead of the next day. Within the hour, I was on the phone with a pleasant person who jotted down the reason for my call and assured me a person would be in touch soon.

Several hours later, I received a call from the hotel stating that the reservation could not be changed, nothing could or would be done, and that the full amount would be charged, due to their 72-hour cancellation policy.

Since I didn't stay at the hotel, I am going to give it a neutral review for the sake of fairness.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Chalfonte? Share your experiences!