“First visit to Cape May” 3 of 5 stars

805 Stockton Ave., Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #16 of 47 Cape May B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“First visit to Cape May”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

When we first arrived we had to sit in the reception room with our luggage while Archie was on the phone, that seemed to last quite a while at least 5 minutes, then we were given a tour and given the "house rules" put our finished breakfast plates on the side etc, and instructions on how to open the front door, including a test for one of our party to make sure we could get in again (would probably be easier to replace a tricky lock) and shown how to operate the coffee machine on the first floor. We eventually got to our rooms which were a bit fussy and over furnished for our taste but all part of the Cape May experience. Our rooms were at the front and we were given a key to the balcony which is obviously used by smokers as there were ash trays on the tables, which would make it a bit difficult to open windows if you were a non smoker, we were instructed not to lock the door before a certain time which we would loved to have done, instead of having to listen to someone sitting outside our single glazed window droning on and on, on his mobile phone for nearly an hour and half. It seemed that we were obviously late down for breakfast as there didn't seem to be an awful lot left, and we were one muffin short as someone who had breakfasted before us had taken two !

Room Tip: Probably avoid rooms at the front with the balcony if you don't want to be forced listen to othe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BedfordInn, Owner at Bedford Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am sorry these guest had to wait 5 minutes for me to finish taking a reservation. I was the only one here when they came to check in. So rather than have them wait outside, I welcomed them in, asked if they would like to use the rest room (which is a great relief when someone has been on the road for a while) apologized for being on the phone and offered them the opportunity to wait in the parlor until I was finished with the call. Since I was already on the phone with another guest taking a reservation I felt I owed them the courtesy of finishing with them before I started something else. I'm sorry that they felt like the orientation was rules but I like to explain some things that are helpful for our guest to have a more pleasant stay. The door lock on the front door, which is very common on the B&B's in Cape May, can be somewhat tricky but convenient for getting in and out of the inn. As simple as it is to use the fire department likes us to review with each guests how to operate it in case of fire. The coffee machine is on the second floor for the benefit of our guests. Most of my guests like to know how to use it. I have had guests that tell me they won't use it in which case we bypass any instructions on it's use. There were 4 guests in this party and they reserved both rooms which are on the second floor up against the balcony that most of our guests love to enjoy. My assumption was that they wanted those rooms since there were many other rooms available when they booked online that would not have any potential porch issues. Both of these rooms each have three windows of which two face the porch. Since those two rooms are up against the porch I lock the doors to the porches usually around 10:30 pm for the privacy of the guests staying in those two rooms. We give them the key to the porch so that if they want to use it during the times it is closed to the other guests, they would be able to use it as a semi-private porch which most guests see as a benefit. I find that most people are considerate of others and I have very rarely if ever witnessed someone being disruptive of other guests. If I am made aware of this we would surely address the situation in a professional, courtesy manner for the benefit of all our guests. As for the ashtrays, well unfortunately they were unknowingly put there by guests that were here prior to the arrival of this party. As a part of our orientation we let smokers know that smoking is not allowed in the inn and that the smoking area is set up outside on the east side of our inn. We provide a bench and a smoking receptacle which is also a part of our orientation. Unfortunately, one of our previous guests must have put ash trays on the second floor porch instead of using the designated smoking area on the side of the inn. (Another reason for our orientation) As for the breakfast, we usually do a full breakfast served buffet style. For freshness we do not put all the food out at one time. As it is used we replenish the serving trays. Sometimes we get a rush of people and the food goes quickly in which case we have to replenish the food. It is possible that someone coming down after this rush might not see a fully stocked serving tray. In this case most people would usually ask for more and we obviously restock the food as quickly as humanly possible. I do not recall anyone requesting more from me that day. Had they said something I surely would have either put more food out from our kitchen or would have offered an alternative if I was out of something. Both of these guests were here only one night in which they came late in the day and really did not have enough time in my opinion to get a true feel of the our inn and Cape May. If they were to choose to come back I would love to make up to them any inconveniences or misunderstandings for a much more relaxing and comfortable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Danville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent the weekend over June 15th at the Bedford Inn. This was our second time staying there. Archie was yet again a wonderful and accommodating host. Delicious breakfast, and the best restaurant recommendation. We will definitely be staying here when we come back in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
amity
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our second visit to the Bedford Inn. Archie, the Innkeeper, is always accommodating and serves a delicious breakfast and tea. The Inn is comfortable and beautiful and the staff is friendly. We love the proximity to the beach and attractions.....overall it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our first time staying at a B&b. The accommodations were awesome. Archie, the innkeeper, did everything to make you feel at home. The location is perfect. The breakfast, which was quite tasty, varied daily.
Cannot say enough accolades. If all b&b's are like the Bedford Inn we will be staying at these type of accommodations in the future.
My cousin has been staying at the Bedford for the past ten years and recommended it. THANKS CUZ!!

• Stayed June 2013
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here recently (just got home today, actually) and it was great. We had the Joseph F. Page room on the third floor. It's one of two rooms on the third floor. It's roomy but cozy and most importantly, quiet and private--great for couples looking to get away from everything. This is what I look for most when going away--privacy and quiet--and The Bedford did not disappoint! Our bed was comfortable and roomy and we got great sleep. Taking a bath in the clawfoot tub was absolutely fantastic and I loved the bathrobes we were provided with. And the fireplace! Who *doesn't* want a fireplace in their room?
The breakfast we had on both days we were there was excellent. When you're there, make sure to try the piña colada muffins--they are *beyond* amazing and I am so wishing I had one right now!
Archie, the owner, was very personable and so nice. You can tell he loves what he does and I think that truly helped make our stay even better. And his dog, Luke (The Luke of Windsor :)) is so adorable!
The Bedford is a block or two from the beach and close to shopping and restaurants, which I love. --Quiet and privacy right in the heart of everything. Couldn't ask for anything better!

Room Tip: Choose the Joseph F. Page room if you're looking for a lot of privacy. And bring bubble bath so...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Bedford Inn. The room was comfortable and cozy and the inn oozed charm, particularly as it was decked out for the holiday season. Archie, as other reviewers have noted, was a great host, and did his best to make sure we enjoyed our get-away. Finally, the breakfasts were generous and yummy.

Our only “issue” was the location of the hotel. It is a few blocks from the heart of the Victorian neighborhood and the front porch faces the back side of an oceanfront lodge. On a winter weekend, this was no concern. In milder weather, however, I would find the view for the porch none too charming. That said, for those seeking beach access, the Bedford Inn is just a block from the ocean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a wonderful experience at the the Bedford Inn! Authentic Victorian decor, warm and friendly, exquisite breakfasts, I can't say enough about this B&B! Archie is a most pleasant host always willing to share his knowledge and recommendations of the area. We stayed in "Lucinda" and enjoyed the rooms amenities, especially the cozy fireplace in the sitting area. We thoroughly loved our 2 night stay during the Christmas season with the beautiful holiday decorations! We can't wait to come back and enjoy this "gem" in warmer weather. Fantastic find! You won't be disappointed if you choose to stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bedford Inn? Share your experiences!