“Remarkably Clean!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Trenton, New Jersey
“Remarkably Clean!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Let me start by saying we visit Cape May, NJ every year!! I have stayed in numerous bed and breakfast places.
I must add The Bedford Inn to my favorites!!! Archie does an outstanding job with hospitality!! The inn is spotless!!! The breakfasts are exquisite!!! Very well done.... excellent care to make sure your stay is all you expect.
24 hour coffee, tea station for guests!! Clean rooms and actually no smells that might accompany B&B's. Greeting his guests is pleasant and thorough!! He takes the time to familiarize you with the inn. Shows you around and answers all your questions!!! His orientation at greeting is pleasant and quick. Location is ultimate for beach goers and a really short walk to Washington Square for shopping!!
Here's to an innkeeper that cares and loves his property!!! It surely shows.
We will come again!!! Now I have 2 favorites in Cape May!!!

Room Tip: Only stayed in Roberts Room, was very roomy with large bath.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ewing, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I could not have been more pleased with our choice to stay at the Bedford Inn! If you choose the Bedford, I am sure you will not be disappointed. The location is very close to the beach, stores, and restaurants which was very nice because we were able to leave the car parked for the weekend. Archie is one of the nicest, most hospitable inn keepers I have ever met. The beautiful antique furniture and tasteful decor create such a pleasant atmosphere that I really didn't want to leave. Archie and his wife did a fantastic job of preserving the history and beauty of the place without making you feel like you are in a museum and can't use anything. Every detail of our room was fantastic from the gorgeous wallpaper to the antique tub. Everything was wonderful and we cannot wait to return for another stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
North Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Bedford Inn is cozy and quaint. We just stayed here last weekend for a Wedding of our friends and we have to say that Archie might be a saint! Yes he has "rules" to follow (and if you don't appreciate that then you are just not a respectful person to begin with) but nothing that is over bearing or asking to much of anyone. It is a gorgeous house and anyone that goes there will understand why it is in such good condition because Archie takes care of it. He doesn't even bother you and he is the sweetest person we have met in a really long time.
All around the Inn are beautiful antiques and gorgeous pictures that you can tell have been there for such a long time. The vibe the house gives off is fabulous. The Bedford Inn is a perfect place to stay in Cape May, when you are in Cape May you are there to relax and to have fun and Archie helps you do that in any way that he possibly can. He has magazines from the county on all the latest attractions around and gives you helpful hints on what to do while you are in town. The drawings on the walls are also something that you must see. Overall this bed & breakfast was definitely our favorite and we have been to Cape May a few times, from here on out we are staying with Archie, every time!! Everyone has things that they like and things that they don't like but I would definitely tell anyone that before you decide to not stay here to try it for yourself first. It is so close to the beach and just a few blocks from all the shops, you really can't go wrong!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Blueys Beach, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Walking around Cape May I wondered why I had booked our precious two nights at the Bedford Inn. There are so many beautiful b&b's and inns to choose from and I envied the guests sitting on the wide verandahs of some of those lovely guest houses. When we arrived we were given the full tour and "house rules" by our host Archie. You get a distinct impression that this house is run to suit the innkeeper rather than the guest. Guests are instructed to clear their dishes from the dining table and follow strict house rules. Breakfast is advertised on their website as a "full" breakfast but it is far from that and the food amateurish. The first morning breakfast times and choices were more limited because there were less guests. The second morning a large wedding group arrived for breakfast from another inn which is apparently under the same ownership. All these guests were sitting in the common living room in view of the breakfast table waiting for their turn for breakfast. Some of the guests from Bedford Inn couldn't find a place at the table. Archie explained that it was more convenient for HIM to serve all the guests at one location. Our room was "Elizabeth's", it was dark with very little lighting. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were OK. The room was shabby, I can believe another reviewer's comment that nothing has changed in, was it 25 years? I lost an earring so while searching the floor, my husband and I found more dust than most guests would notice. The bathroom lighting was very good but the mirror above the basin far too high. The deep antique bath, well that was why I booked Elizabeth's Room! There is a huge amount of rubbery smelling shower curtain surrounding this exceptional tub which makes showering very difficult. The smell permeates the whole room rather like that of an inflatable airbed. As we were leaving, a couple riding bikes approached us and asked if we would recommend Bedford Inn. They were looking for a place to celebrate their wedding anniversary during the summer and in all honesty I told them that I thought they could do better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The house is gorgeous! Very tastefully done in period furnishings. Archie was very helpful in working with us at the last minute and adjusting rooms and schedules. My only disappointment was that breakfast is not served until 9 am. As an early riser, this was an issue for my husband and I. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate is available 24/7, but there were no juices, or continental breakfast for those of us up early. We had commitments to be at events by 8 am both days of our stay, and no offer to accommodate us was made, even after a suggestion that I heat up my own, as it was already made for the next morning. All in all, a lovely place, but not a muffin or glass a juice will appear before 9. Plan on finding your own breakfast if you are an early riser, and this won't be easy in the low seasons as Cape May pretty much is barren in the slow months.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
BedfordInn, Owner at Bedford Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
I am sure this was a misunderstanding on my part as I try to make every effort to accommodate our guests that are not able to have breakfast during our normal advertised times. As stated on our web site and confirmation letters, we serve a full hot breakfast usually buffet style between 8:30 and 10 am. When we have a full house this allows us to space out the food for freshness and quality when serving. We have a seating capacity of 16 available seats for breakfast and therefore need to space out the breakfast time to accommodate all of our guests; especially when we are filled to capacity. It seems to work fine, allowing our guests more flexibility for breakfast, since some get up early and some like to sleep in. It is less restrictive than a sit down with specific seating times. Our serving times are sometimes changed/shortened based on our capacity, again to make sure that food is fresh and not sitting for long periods of time on a warmer. Also, I set up for the next morning’s breakfast the night before. This includes putting out boxes of cold and hot cereals for anyone who is an early riser. If I am aware that someone has an early schedule, i.e. birders or guests going fishing, I offer to put milk in one of our common refrigerators for them to have cereal. Hot water, tea, coffee and hot chocolate are available 24/7. When requested by guests leaving early, I have in the past put out muffins and/or fruit for them to take with them in the morning. Of course this is all based on me being aware of the need. I kind of remember someone saying they would make their own but I thought they were speaking of hot tea. It didn’t make any sense to me why or how someone would make their own breakfast. I obviously misunderstood what this person was trying to communicate to me. I am sorry for that.
Kearny, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I decided to go to the southern tip of New Jersey for vacation. She had gone to other places along the Shore and wasn't satisfied so this was do or die for me being a lifelong New Jerseyan. Cape May was a pleasant surprise and part of that surprise was this B&B. It was in great condition and Archie, the inn owner, was very personable and helpful in guiding us around Cape May. We stayed in the Edwards Room, which is the first room in the house. It was a nice room typical of the good quality B&Bs that I have stayed in before. The dining and living rooms are immaculate with the murals and Victorian furniture. This was not your typical New Jersey shore place. I recommend anyone coming to Cape May to look into staying here.

Room Tip: I booked my room on the website. If you have a particular preference for a room, you should call an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Levittown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Searched long and hard for a special place to celebrate our 40th Wdddding Anniversary. The Bedford Inn is that special kind of place. Take a step back in history and enjoy the comfort and ambience as it once was. Your host, Archie and his family will treat you as if you were one of their own. If you are celebrating a milestone in your life our you just plan on spending a memorable weekend or longer come to the Bedford Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bedford Inn? Share your experiences!