“A special place for a special occasion...'” 5 of 5 stars

Angel of the Sea
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5-7 Trenton Ave, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #28 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“A special place for a special occasion...'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Very conveniently located only 2 houses from the beach. Free amenities include full breakfast, 4PM high 'tea', 5:30 PM wine & cheese & snacks, beach chairs, umbellas, beach towels and bicycles. Free parking. The staff are friendly and gracious. We enjoyed shopping in their Victorian gift shop and relaxing on their verandas. A wonderful, romantic place to celebrate a special occasion like an anniversary.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I thought I had already written a review and realized I hadn't. We actually stayed here twice, May 08 was our first time. Booked the 2 for 1 night special in an Angel Suite, Room #8 both times. At that time they were doing work on the balcony and we received a small discount as we couldn't sit outside there. Nice comfy king bed, divan, small flat screen. Bathroom with claw foot tub, hold on getting out of it!! There is enough seating downstairs though to enjoy a cup of joe in the a.m., tea/sweets in afternoon and wine and cheese in late afternoon. Breakfast good, but as noted can be a little rushed. The fellow who seats people could do with not sounding so monotone. Afternoon tea good and wine and cheese a little quirky. Aside from cheese/crackers some odd items (goldfish crackers, pickles). Wine served in 09 def better than the previous year. First time we ended up opening a bottle we brought. They should put the wine and appetizers spread out on table instead of on buffet that is tucked into the corner, creates a bit of a traffic jam. All in all though I think the Angel offers more than most of the B&B's in the area as far as snacks.

It's a beautiful place, immaculate grounds and just across the street from the ocean. Loved sitting on porches in the a.m and evening after coming back from dinner. Also nice fire in living room going should you prefer that. We did like visiting Cape May in September as more shops were open at that time compared to early May.

Loved that they had bikes to take out and we rode for miles (paid for it that night!!) did this both times. Second visit to the Angel my sister and brother-in-law came based on our recommendation and the both enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Great location, beautiful and charming place. Loved the beach cruiser bikes (no charge), loved the afternoon tea and the wine and cheese on the porch around sunset! Breakfast was pretty good, not amazing. After staying here, it would be hard to stay at a regular hotel :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I just stayed at the Angel of the Seas for a wonderful three night getaway. We had one of the beautiful Angel Suites, which included a picturesque view of the Atlantic Ocean from our balcony. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Each day, we enjoyed a delicious selection of tea and treats at 4:00pm followed by wine and cheese at 5:30pm. The breakfast each morning was very good too! The Angel is located very close to the downtown shopping district as well as local restaurants and most importantly, a stones throw away from the ocean. Would highly recommend the Angel for a romantic getaway or even a quick one night stay while passing through just to soak in the atmosphere. My wife and I are definitely planning on going back again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Had an Angel Suite for 3 nights. Wasn't able to rest in the room during the day because of the carpenter rebuilding the porch outside my window. The Inn was mostly empty, no reason to have to give us that room, or should have mentioned it to us when booking.

Breakfast was OK, but a lack of seating space for breakfast and having food only offered for 1 hour each day wasn't great. Not to mention that the eggbake no matter how you name it gets old after day 2. Overall, edible but very uninspired. Any decent diner can serve a better breakfast.

Nice session listening to the owner and one of the staff backhand bashing another inn and restaurant in town. Why?

Afternoon tea was just tea and bad baked goods. Bad box wine and a little chopped deli meats circa COSTCO. Again, not horrible, but nothing special.

The room was OK but it's time to do a refresh. Things need painting. Linens need updating and - hey, how about a new mattress on the bed after 8 years.

I guess if I had to say one thing about my stay at the Angel would be that it was nothing special. It's no longer the best Inn in Cape May - not even close.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Glassboro, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

After reading many online reviews of B and B's in Cape May, my husband and I chose the Angel of the Sea for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had thought about staying closer to town at the Queen Victoria (which is also very beautiful), but the chance to stay right on the beach was something that we couldn't resist. We stayed in Room #8; it was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous and unusual wood and marble canopy bed and an enormous Victorian dresser. The bathroom was very quant with its old-fashioned touches like the clawfoot tub, but was also outfitted with the modern convenience of a shower as well. And the view from the room was gorgeous...a wonderful wrap around porch adjacent to our room had loads of seating within full view of the Atlantic. Absolutely everything that we had hoped for.
The Staff is very friendly and helpful with plenty of suggestions on finding the best places to eat dinner. Although, you might decide to skip dinner as the Angel supplies you with plenty of sweet and salty delights from their own kitchen to keep you satisfied during those late afternoon hunger pangs. What is really nice is that they also provide you with complimentary wine in the pre-dinner hours. Lovely! The breakfast is also delicious; all made from recipes in their very own "Angel of the Sea" cookbook--all of the recipes are elegant, yet surprisingly simple (yes, I did purchase the cookbook).
I am not sure where these folks stayed who have given the Angel a less than stellar review. It cannot be the same Bed and Breakfast. This place is impeccable as far as the service and facilities are concerned. Barely a speck of dust to be found anywhere.
We did notice that construction folks were working on the Angel when we went out and about to do our sightseeing, however they were respectful of where they worked and didn't work "3 feet away from people's cars" as another reviewer had suggested.
The only fault we found with our getaway was that fact that going mid-week off-season can somewhat limit the acitivites you can enjoy. We went from 11/2-11/4 and a lot of the shops were closed. Many of the restaurants we were interested in were also closed. We weren't that interested in estate tours or the zoo, but we managed to make the best of the situation by relaxing on the porch outside of our room or just lounging inside and drinking a bottle of wine (when the Angel folks graciously provided a bucket, glasses and wine opener for us!). Actually, we found the town itself a bit dissapointing. The Angel was fabulous!!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and I must say that after reading some reviews I was very skeptical but after the first ten minutes of arriving I was very pleased. The house is beautiful room was small but that is to be expected (it is a bed and breakfast) and the tea/&sweeta, wine & cheese was absolutely delicious!!! The free beach chairs, umbrella, and towls was a huge plus!! The location is one of the best!! The services was spectacular!! They even reseve you a table at your favorite cape may restaurants!!! That was another huge plus!!! I am very happy with our stay and sad to leave:( However I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great B&B Inn!! Dont pay attention to the other bad reviews.....I did and glad I did not follow them!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Angel of the Sea? Share your experiences!