“Not Like Before” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Not Like Before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed at Angel for the past six years as part of an annual get together, but this past November is my last stay there. It is a charming setting. But we so look forward to the Christmas atmosphere at that time of year. Although behind in decorating due to Hurricane Sandy (understandable), we only requested that while we sat in the main sitting room they might play some Christmas music as they did in years past. Begrudgingly the desk clerk looked for a Christmas CD and put something on that wasn't Christmasy music, but it was music. The wine and cheese along with afternoon tea was good. Breakfast... Well on Sunday I took a seat so that I could sit across from friends and next to the love of my life. The person taking our breakfast orders insisted that I move to another spot. I did not want to and was not in the way...after all, I took a seat at a place that was set. The gentleman taking my order decided to argue the point. Hey, I just wanted a pleasant and restful weekend. Perhaps I just got this man on a "bad day" because he checked me out later in the day and he was arguing some point with the guest checking out ahead of me.
I have had glowing reviews in the past of The Angel, but I think it is time I move on in Cape May. I think I held The Angel on a pedestal of fine B&B's and found so much on service lacking this time.

• Stayed November 2012

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in May. Lots of porch space to enjoy the sea air, sit and lounge or read,and you can hear the ocean. Wonderful breakfast and tea time treats. Wine and cheese at 6. Newspapers in sitting area in the morning and coffe and tea are out ahead of breakfast so you can scan them with your tea. We hope to go back next year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vineland, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Angel of the Sea had great reviews but we should have known better than to take the last one remaining room -- because it was on the bottom floor and next to the dining area. We don't usually stay at B & B's because they all seem to have cats roaming around and I have severe cat allergies. Also, I don't particularly care to socialize with people I will never see again, especially at breakfast. But it was our wedding anniversary, and we were making plans last minute. My husband was assured that there were no cats. (And that was, in fact, true.) I am a light sleeper bothered by noise and light. Our room, even with shades closed, was not dark because the windows opened up into the parking lot and its bright lights. I was prepared for that, however, bringing a mask, although it gets uncomfortable sleeping in it. The noise factor had to do with the fact that we were on the ground floor and two more stories above all have squeaky wooden floors over our heads. We were in room #2, which was very small, made even smaller by the large, solid, wooden sleigh-type day bed crammed in, besides the bed. Perhaps people who love B & B's might like this particular aspect of them, but every surface seemed covered with some cutesy objects, making the room feel even smaller. Besides, where are you supposed to put your own stuff??? There must have been a dozen pillows in shams on both beds. No place to step, no place to go. The bathroom felt so small that my husband chose not to shower this morning. Since we don't live that far away and were going home this morning, it didn't really matter that much. But it's a negative for sure. On the positive side, however, were the high ceilings. That opened up the space a bit. Also, I must commend the staff on the level of cleanliness in the Angel. Victorian B & B's tend to get dusty with all the stuff around. My nose did not protest this time. The 4 pm tea with baked goods was very enjoyable, as was the 5:30 wine and cheese. The staff was mostly pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was abundant and ok, although I wouldn't rave about it. It was partially buffet and then you were offered a choice of a hot dish, which tried to be gourmet but flopped, in my view. The coffee was a major disappointment. It was weak, as in most places, and it was served in carafes which failed to keep it hot. Starbucks it was not.

Room Tip: upper floor just keep in mind there are no elevators
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This Victorian B&B, two sections, 3 stories tall, is a great place to spend some time. The food--breakfast, 4 o'clock tea, and 6 o'clock wine and cheese with lots of other goodies--is outstanding. The rooms are Victorian-right, the living and dining rooms beautifully appointed and the place was filled with friendly folk, a number of whom have been making this their vacation destination for 17 or more years. Now, that says something about the place!

Room Tip: Cape May is a community on the historic register because of it's awesome collection of Victorian...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent a weekend here a couple of months ago. When we came back from dinner we realized that someone, with a key, entered our room and stole $175 out of my purse. After notifying the police and making a report, the manager implied that we were making this up. The owner never even contacted us. Needless to say that this incident ruined our stay which ran us $300 a night and the breakfast had a lot to be desired.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Angel of the Sea in Cape May last month. The sweeping porches are the perfect place to relax! Our room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was gracious. The breakfasts were delicious and satisfying. Thank you Angel, for another unforgettable visit!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms on the first floor...no stairs to climb!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Belfair, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

First time visit to Cape May so can't comment on other options but this was a delightful find with reasonable off season rates just beginning at the end of September. Room was small but pretty (but why so many pillows that necessarily end up on the floor?); pleasant and helpful staff and, with big breakfasts, tea and cake at 4 and wine and cheese at 5:30, one could almost skip outside meals although good local restaurants abound. Although one house separates this from the beach, all the wonderful porches and many bedrooms make one feel like it is almost beach front. Bicycles are free to borrow; the location is about a mile from the center of the old town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Angel of the Sea? Share your experiences!