“Overpriced, Cash Only Lodging, Small Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
You added Highland House to your Saves list
131 North Broadway, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #25 of 47 Cape May B&B and Inns
West Hartford, CT
“Overpriced, Cash Only Lodging, Small Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our dog for a couple of days and had a very nice time. However, I thought the Garden room was worth about half of what we paid. The room was very small, but there was a large shared porch off the room that made it bearable. As others mentioned, the house was cluttered with knick knacks. Breakfast was good and the house a short walk from all the action.

Will we return? Perhaps, if we could negotiate a fair price for the room, but the advertised prices are way too high for what you get. Especially since it's a cash only business.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Highland House. It's nice to read that you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry our rates were too costly for you and that the room you stayed in wasn't large enough. We hope you'll return and try one of our larger rooms. The Green Room, Room I, II and III are larger rooms. The price for all of our rooms range from $135.00 to $160.00 depending on the room you select and $185.00 for our adjoining rooms. We never charge for pets at the Highland House and offer a complimentary breakfast each day. I'd also like to apologize for the number of knick knacks. Over the years so many of our guests have given us the nicest of ornaments. We appreciate each and every one but didn't realize until reading some of the reviews that the ornaments were crowding the guest space. We now rotate our knick knacks depending on the season and have managed to give the guests a lot more space for their own belongings. Thanks for letting us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After reading the other reviews good, bad and indifferent my wife and I decided to give it a try and bring our little blind beagle Cameo. I am very glad we did, what a neat place. Terry is a trip to talk to as we did for about two hours every morning during breakfast and after. As is stated it is a guest house with a continental breakfast not really a B+B But they are ranked 22 out of 49 as a B+B so what does that tell you about Terry's breakfast that she makes. We had eggs, amazing French toast and egg sandwiches with potatoes as well as coffee, juice and fresh baked zucchini bread and there was always cookies and other types of cake/bread out. Terry makes you feel like you are at Grand moms house for the week. She had great suggestions as far as where to eat and some things to do. The house has a good sized fenced in yard for the dogs to run, and everybody there while we were there had dogs so the occasional bark or whine from one left in a room was not bothering anybody. We stayed in room 3. It is a good sized room that was very clean and even had a full sized couch. It was nice on the rainy night we had, to sit in a comfortable couch. Other places we have stayed don't have very comfortable seats in them. We met Dave the owner briefly as he was performing routine maintenance to the emergency lighting which being a firefighter I was glad to see. The house is within walking distance to the beach and Washington St. as well as tons of other shops and restaurants. We will definitely be returning. THANKS Terry and Dave

Room Tip: Room 3 is next to the dinning room and stairs so in the morning around 7:30 you do hear the house wa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Scott, Thank you for such a nice review of the Highland House. It's always nice to hear when guests enjoy their visit. I'm glad your wife and Cameo also enjoyed their stay. My Mom sure does love to share stories with the guests. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed going down memory lane with her and also enjoyed all of her baked goods. All the best to you and thanks again for taking the time to write such a nice review of the Highland House.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have been visiting Highland House for years and every time we visit, we love it more! Our three "girls" had the best time at Sunset Beach during the day and relaxing and playing in the beautiful enclosed gardens and yard when we returned to Highland House.

Terry continues to WOW us with her energy and love for all of her guests! She is an amazing "young" lady who makes Highland House what it is!

David, the owner, is so compassionate and his three energetic "kidz" are wonderful!

Terry and David are the main reasons that we return to Highland House year after year!

Thank you again, Terry and David, for an amazing time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Highland House. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! Your name is not showing on the review but I bet you're part of the great folks that have become part of the Highland House family.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband(Brian) & I stayed here with our dog Bindi. We stayed for 2 days & everything was great. Terry made us a nice breakfast. She was a lovely woman & we enjoyed talking to her as we ate. It was very comfortable & it was great to bring our Bindi. It was also nice to meet & converse during breakfast with the other people staying at Highland House. We are looking forward to going back again in the fall with our daughter & her dog Bailey.

Thanks to Terry & Dave for having such a lovely place to bring our dog!

Kim & Brian Keenan

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi Kim and Brian, Thank you for such a nice review of the Highland House. It's great to read that you and your dog Bindi enjoyed your stay. All the best to you!!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Highland House with my mother and our dog Henry. This was our third year in a row staying there and we will continue to go back. Terry is warm and inviting and makes the stay extra special. The rooms are cozy and you can't beat the price. Other places go for double to triple the price. It is a quick walk to the beach and there is plenty of parking. You don't have to worry about paying for meters like the other places near the beach. I would highly recommend staying here and we will definitely be back next summer.

Laura, Rosalie, & Henry

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi Laura, Thank you for such a nice review of the Highland House. I appreciate the kind words more than my own words can say. I hope the year has been a great one for your Mom and yourself and of course to your dog Henry too. Dave
North Haledon, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have been staying at the Highland House for about 3 years now. A few years back in the middle of the February, my husband Chris and I wanted to get away for the weekend and be able to take our beagle Mason along too. I found the Highland House online by doing a pet friendly search. I am very picky where I bring my dog and I was very impressed with the Highland House. Well when we got there we were greeted by the owner Dave's mom Terry. She was so friendly and really loved Mason. The Green Room was very clean and quaint as we have discovered about the remaining rooms over the years. We have stayed in them all except for one. Dave has done many renovations to the place and has fenced in the entire property which we love that Mason can explore. Dave is a dog lover too and really goes the extra mile to make sure guests feel comfortable bringing their pets. The location is great only a few blocks from the beach and the Washington Square Mall. Breakfast each morning was served by Terry along with some entertaining conversations. We whole-heartedly recommend the Highland House. We just stayed there last week for our anniversary and are coming back for Labor Day weekend with Mason and my step-daughter. Thanks Dave And Terry for such pleasant, warm and welcoming stays over the years.

Arlene & Chris Cruz

Room Tip: Room 1 & 2 have separate outside entrances, great for the dog,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Arlene,
Thank you so much for such a nice review of the Highland House. You've tried so often this year to get a reservation but we've unfortunately didn't have a vacancy for the dates you were seeking. I sure hope we'll get to see you and Chris this year and that we'll have some dates available that will work for you. It's always been a pleaure having you as our guests. Dave
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Highland House with our 20 year old cat Missy we were greeted by Dave And Terry, his mother. They made us feel so at home. Our unit was adorable and clean. Terry invited us to have breakfast in the dining room the next morning which was an added surprise. Well, what a great breakfast Terry cooked for us and her conversation and jokes were an added plus!!! We truly felt at home and so did Missy. Each day we were we greeted with home made cakes not to mention a wonderful breakfast selection. Terry always made a fuss over us and we grew very fond of her and Highland House. It was close to anywhere you wanted to go in Cape May and we ended up staying 4 extra days. We had to move to different units since we kept asking to stay longer and they were happy to accommodate us. Each unit was better than the next and we hated to leave. Have I said enough ??? We miss you Terry and Highland House but hopefully we we'll be back soon... Joan & Joe Daly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi Joan & Joe,

Thanks for such nice review. It was great meeting the two of you and Missy too.

I looked for your phone # but didn't have it on file. My Mom has been asking for it.

She'd love to thank you again for your gift and for staying with us.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

Dave

Been to Highland House? Share your experiences!