“Pet Friendly and sooo much more!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
You added Highland House to your Saves list
131 North Broadway, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #25 of 47 Cape May B&B and Inns
Yonkers, New York
“Pet Friendly and sooo much more!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Highland House with our 20 year old cat Missy we were greeted by Dave And Terry, his mother. They made us feel so at home. Our unit was adorable and clean. Terry invited us to have breakfast in the dining room the next morning which was an added surprise. Well, what a great breakfast Terry cooked for us and her conversation and jokes were an added plus!!! We truly felt at home and so did Missy. Each day we were we greeted with home made cakes not to mention a wonderful breakfast selection. Terry always made a fuss over us and we grew very fond of her and Highland House. It was close to anywhere you wanted to go in Cape May and we ended up staying 4 extra days. We had to move to different units since we kept asking to stay longer and they were happy to accommodate us. Each unit was better than the next and we hated to leave. Have I said enough ??? We miss you Terry and Highland House but hopefully we we'll be back soon... Joan & Joe Daly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi Joan & Joe,

Thanks for such nice review. It was great meeting the two of you and Missy too.

I looked for your phone # but didn't have it on file. My Mom has been asking for it.

She'd love to thank you again for your gift and for staying with us.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Owner Dave and his mother Terry make you feel right at home and part of the family. The house is in a great location. Close to everything, but a quiet retreat from the down town. My wife and I along with our senior dog Hannah have been to HH twice in the last year and will be returning again this September. Quaint, cozy and clean. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi David,

Thanks so much for such a nice review. It was great having you & Sallie (and Hannah) as our guests again. Thanks also for participating in the Yappy Hour we held for Animal Outreach of Cape May County during your visit. It sure is appreciated.

We have Room I set aside for you early in September for 4 nights. It'll be here before you know it.

Mom and I are looking forward to seeing the 3 of you again.

Montgomery Center, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were just passing through Cape May on our way from New York to North Carolina, and decided to detour along the New Jersey coast and take the ferry into Delaware rather than suffer the New Jersey Turnpike. Glad we did as we got to spend a night with Terry at the Highland House.

Our two beagles loved the house and the special garden just for them! Be aware, the house is not a new one and has lots of character. That said, the rooms were clean and big enough for us, with little extras hidden away like a coffee maker and fridge.

Breakfast was great and the conversation with Terry (who's NINTY-ONE, people!) was awesome. Cape May is a beautiful spot, and having a base of operation like the Heritage House was a joy.

Room Tip: There are two rooms that don't have on-suite baths. If it's important to you, make sure to d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Darren,

Thank you for your nice review. We always hope that all of our guests including he 4 legged ones enjoy themselves.

Thanks for mentioning my Mom too. She celebrated her 92 birthday this week. She enjoys getting to know our guests. Nice guests such as yourself keep her feeling needed and vital. Thank you so much sharing and enjoying talking with her.

We hope that you'll visit with us the next time you're passing through Cape May.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friend, Pam, and my dog, Mili Vee, felt like we were staying with relatives, and it was our first visit! Dave prepared a yummy breakfast on our first day, and Theresa doted on us from then on! We enjoyed visiting with her on a daily basis, and even checked-in on her to say we were HOME and good night! What a wonderful stay! Clean and cozy accommodations in Room 3! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Theresa,

Thank you for such a nice review. June was a raining month and July has been warmer than usual but the guests this year have been the nicest folks. We always want all of our guests to feel as if they're staying at their home away from home. Reading that you felt you were HOME was the nicest compliment. Thank you for visiting the Highland House and again for such a nice review.

Southampton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We arrived at Cape May on Monday for a week stay. We had such a great time there. Terri, the propritor's mom, was there to greet us. What a great person she was. She was so friendly with us and best of all our two pupss loved her. She showed us our room and was very helpful in connecting us with pet friendly places to go. We walked into a very charming room (Room 3) and it has a refrigerator. Which was perfect for us. We had a charming garden fenced in garden that we could sit out in while our dogs ran around playing. A great porch to sit on to enjoy a rainy day that we had while there. We parked on the street in front of the house and was within walking distance of the downtown area where we walked each evening. This location was pawfect for us. We were just about 5-10 minutes drive from a great dog beach located by the ferry. We were very close to the pet friendly Whale watching activity we did. ALL YOU DOG LOVERS WHO WANT TO BRING YOUR PET WITH YOU- THIS IS DEFINATELY THE PLACE TO STAY. We actually on my dog site, Dynamic Pups, posted all sorts of photos and stories in the forum about our stay there, and they said this place looked so quaint and wonderful that they asked about me arranging a trip there. Then we had Terry making us some awesome breakfast when we were there.

Room Tip: Each room is different. Read what they offer and choose the one best for your needs. If your unsure...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting such a nice review of the Highland House. My Mom enjoyed getting to know you and is still telling our guests of all the outfits your dogs wore. I shared your review with her. She immediately recalled how nice your conversations on the porch were each day. We're happy to hear that you're planning a return visit to the Highland House. Thanks too for posting stories of your visit on Dynamic Pups. That was so nice of you.

Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We recently visited Highland House with our dog. What a pleasant surprise! Our room, Room II, was the perfect fit for us. With its equipped kitchen & sitting area, we were able to cook dinner the first night while our dog got settled in. Dave, the proprietor, made sure that we were satisfied and made a HUGE fuss over our dog which made not only our dog, but my wife and I, as well, feel so welcomed. My dog has a problem with hardwood/tile floors and Dave couldn’t have been more accommodating by offering to put down throw-rugs in our room. Breakfast each morning, cooked by Dave, was delicious & an excellent start to our day. I would highly recommend Highland House to anyone travelling with dogs or cats.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Mike, Thanks for such a nice review. It's not every day that someone from my other job stays at the Highland House. Of course, I was worried and hoped that you would enjoy your stay. I'm so glad to read how much you enjoyed your visit. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was great to meet your wife Jenn and Scruffy too. The offer still stands if you'd like some throw rugs in your room for your August visit... Dave
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I visited Cape May recently, along with my two mini dachshunds, to do some bird watching and chose the Highland House for its pet friendly atmosphere and reasonable rates. Upon arrival I was greeted by a lovely lady named Stephanie who was extremely helpful in getting me settled in. My room fit my needs perfectly....it had some kitchen amenities, comfortable bed and a spacious outdoor patio right outside the door. There is also a very nice fenced-in front yard/garden where the dogs can safely take a break. The Highland House is conveniently located just a few blocks from the beach, is a short drive to the State Park and other bird watching areas, and is within walking distance to some restaurants and bakeries. Dave, the owner, was very thoughtful with me and the other guests in accommodating our various schedules and needs. He also makes a fabulous breakfast! I also appreciate the fact that the inn doesn't have a long laundry list of doggie rules. My dogs truly were welcome and that means a lot to me. Overall, my first trip to Cape May could not have been better. I found the Highland House to be a warm and friendly place and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the nice review. I haven't been on tripadvisor in a while but heard from a friend of mine that the guests have been writing some pretty nice reviews. What a wonderful and nice surprise to sign on today to so many kind words. We really do want everyone to feel at home and to be able to enjoy Cape May & the Highland House. Welcoming the pets is just the way it's meant to be. They're a part of our lives every day. It only seems natural that they're a part of our vacations too... Thanks also for the kind reviews of my cooking. Normally my Mom does the cooking but she was having a difficult go of it for a while. Fortunately, she's much better these days. I hope you'll return to meet her and taste some of her baking... Thanks again. Dave

Been to Highland House? Share your experiences!