“Extended Family Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
You added Highland House to your Saves list
131 North Broadway, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #24 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Extended Family Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friend, Pam, and my dog, Mili Vee, felt like we were staying with relatives, and it was our first visit! Dave prepared a yummy breakfast on our first day, and Theresa doted on us from then on! We enjoyed visiting with her on a daily basis, and even checked-in on her to say we were HOME and good night! What a wonderful stay! Clean and cozy accommodations in Room 3! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hi Theresa,

Thank you for such a nice review. June was a raining month and July has been warmer than usual but the guests this year have been the nicest folks. We always want all of our guests to feel as if they're staying at their home away from home. Reading that you felt you were HOME was the nicest compliment. Thank you for visiting the Highland House and again for such a nice review.

Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Southampton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We arrived at Cape May on Monday for a week stay. We had such a great time there. Terri, the propritor's mom, was there to greet us. What a great person she was. She was so friendly with us and best of all our two pupss loved her. She showed us our room and was very helpful in connecting us with pet friendly places to go. We walked into a very charming room (Room 3) and it has a refrigerator. Which was perfect for us. We had a charming garden fenced in garden that we could sit out in while our dogs ran around playing. A great porch to sit on to enjoy a rainy day that we had while there. We parked on the street in front of the house and was within walking distance of the downtown area where we walked each evening. This location was pawfect for us. We were just about 5-10 minutes drive from a great dog beach located by the ferry. We were very close to the pet friendly Whale watching activity we did. ALL YOU DOG LOVERS WHO WANT TO BRING YOUR PET WITH YOU- THIS IS DEFINATELY THE PLACE TO STAY. We actually on my dog site, Dynamic Pups, posted all sorts of photos and stories in the forum about our stay there, and they said this place looked so quaint and wonderful that they asked about me arranging a trip there. Then we had Terry making us some awesome breakfast when we were there.

Room Tip: Each room is different. Read what they offer and choose the one best for your needs. If your unsure...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting such a nice review of the Highland House. My Mom enjoyed getting to know you and is still telling our guests of all the outfits your dogs wore. I shared your review with her. She immediately recalled how nice your conversations on the porch were each day. We're happy to hear that you're planning a return visit to the Highland House. Thanks too for posting stories of your visit on Dynamic Pups. That was so nice of you.

Dave
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We recently visited Highland House with our dog. What a pleasant surprise! Our room, Room II, was the perfect fit for us. With its equipped kitchen & sitting area, we were able to cook dinner the first night while our dog got settled in. Dave, the proprietor, made sure that we were satisfied and made a HUGE fuss over our dog which made not only our dog, but my wife and I, as well, feel so welcomed. My dog has a problem with hardwood/tile floors and Dave couldn’t have been more accommodating by offering to put down throw-rugs in our room. Breakfast each morning, cooked by Dave, was delicious & an excellent start to our day. I would highly recommend Highland House to anyone travelling with dogs or cats.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Mike, Thanks for such a nice review. It's not every day that someone from my other job stays at the Highland House. Of course, I was worried and hoped that you would enjoy your stay. I'm so glad to read how much you enjoyed your visit. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was great to meet your wife Jenn and Scruffy too. The offer still stands if you'd like some throw rugs in your room for your August visit... Dave
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I visited Cape May recently, along with my two mini dachshunds, to do some bird watching and chose the Highland House for its pet friendly atmosphere and reasonable rates. Upon arrival I was greeted by a lovely lady named Stephanie who was extremely helpful in getting me settled in. My room fit my needs perfectly....it had some kitchen amenities, comfortable bed and a spacious outdoor patio right outside the door. There is also a very nice fenced-in front yard/garden where the dogs can safely take a break. The Highland House is conveniently located just a few blocks from the beach, is a short drive to the State Park and other bird watching areas, and is within walking distance to some restaurants and bakeries. Dave, the owner, was very thoughtful with me and the other guests in accommodating our various schedules and needs. He also makes a fabulous breakfast! I also appreciate the fact that the inn doesn't have a long laundry list of doggie rules. My dogs truly were welcome and that means a lot to me. Overall, my first trip to Cape May could not have been better. I found the Highland House to be a warm and friendly place and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the nice review. I haven't been on tripadvisor in a while but heard from a friend of mine that the guests have been writing some pretty nice reviews. What a wonderful and nice surprise to sign on today to so many kind words. We really do want everyone to feel at home and to be able to enjoy Cape May & the Highland House. Welcoming the pets is just the way it's meant to be. They're a part of our lives every day. It only seems natural that they're a part of our vacations too... Thanks also for the kind reviews of my cooking. Normally my Mom does the cooking but she was having a difficult go of it for a while. Fortunately, she's much better these days. I hope you'll return to meet her and taste some of her baking... Thanks again. Dave
Westmont, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Many establishments tout themselves as pet friendly but charge anywhere from $25 to $100 per pet per night and have a laundry list of rules. Highland House truly welcomes guests and their four-legged friends, who are treated as part of the family. Dave, the innkeeper, made us feel welcome from the moment he first greeted us at the door to the time we regretfully had to say goodbye. The room was large and cozy, and my husband and I and our two little dogs were so comfortable the first night, we never left the room. There is a lovely garden area in front of the inn; it's fenced in and a great place for the furry ones to frolic. The inn is perfectly located--only four blocks from the Cape May beaches, close to Washington Commons, and a short drive to Sunset and Higbee Beaches, which are both dog friendly. We would definitely recommend Highland House to anyone who enjoys traveling with their pets and are already planning our return visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Georgette,

Thanks so much for the nice review. It was a pleasure to meet you and Lou and your 4 legged family too. I can't tell you how much I appreciated hearing from Lou a few days after your visit to see how my Mom was doing. Meeting people as kind as that is always the one of the best highlights of owning the Highland House. Thank you so much for picking the Highland House. It's so nice to hear that your visit was enjoyable. Our best from me and my family to you and yours. Dave
Middletown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband with a weekend away for his 65th birthday, problem being our two large dogs. solution: Highland House. I loved that we had our own entrance to our room, which included a small kitchen. There were not only dishes for us to use, but several dishes for our pets as well. Breakfast was fabulous and abundant on both mornings, and made just for us, not a buffet. My husband is a birder and when I mentioned this to the owner, Dave, he told me that we should feel free to leave the dogs in the room to go explore areas of Cape May that do not allow dogs. Though we did not take him up on this offer (We were not as trusting of our dog's behavior as he was) it is an example of how dog friendly Highland House is. The location is perfect, just around the corner from the bird preserves, lighthouse and a dog friendly beach. In spite of the cold we spent hours on the beach. It felt like we had had a true vacation, in a large part due to the welcoming attitude we received at Highland House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of the Highland House and of the Cape May area. We are happy to have been a part of your husband's 65th birthday and enjoyed sharing stories together over breakfast each morning. Like many other guests, the best pet owners are concerned as to whether or not their pets would behave. From what I remember, your two were perfect guests too. Thanks again for picking the Highland House when searching for a place to stay.
Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Thank you to owner Dave & his mom, Grandma Terry, for an enjoyable Feb. weekend. This was our first B&B get-away with our son (11) and dog (4). The Highland House is definitely a people-friendly and dog-friendly 'home', and it's location is great. Cold, windy & sunny outside - but warm & welcoming inside, with good home-cooked meals by Dave, and breakfasts and desserts by Terry who is simply an amazing woman! We had the Maroon and Blue rooms with a shared bathroom, giving our son and dog some extra independence and freedom that they enjoyed as well. Lovely yard, patio, decks, screened gazebo, & front porch that would be most enjoyable in the spring, summer or fall. You can feel the caring pride of ownership & friendliness at The Highland House -- a great place to stay while in Cape May, especially for dog-lovers!
Thanks again for your hospitality Dave, and keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review you've written of your stay at the Highland House. It was nice of you to refer to my Mom as Grandmom too. She somehow has the presence that causes everyone to leave calling her Grandma. I'm glad your son and her connected. Thanks too for your kind review of your rooms. We try to give everyone a space even our pet guests a comfortable and relaxing accommodations. It's always a boost when we hear that we accomplished what we set out to do. We hope that you'll return to the Highland House and wll check out all that the other wonderful seasonal surprises Cape May has to offer.

Been to Highland House? Share your experiences!