“Better then I expected!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
You added Highland House to your Saves list
131 North Broadway, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #25 of 47 Cape May B&B and Inns
“Better then I expected!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I reserved the Cottage in Villas the day before we wanted to go and got lucky that no one was renting it. We had to stop at the highland house to pick up the key. Terry(I think that's her name) was so kind and talkative, I even checked her mailbox for her! I felt like she was my grandma, she was so nice. We got to the cottage and I was completely blown away. I love the kitchen, the decor, the backyard, I loved everything! So did my fiancé and our dogs. There was so much room and it was so comfortable. There was dishwater, utensils, pots and pans. Just like if you were at home. I can't say enough how beautiful the cottage was and how much we enjoyed ourselves. We will definitely be back, it was only a block or so away from my family that lives in Villas so it was such a good find!! The only negative thing I would have to say is that someone didn't clean up after their dog from another stay, so my fiancé stepped in a huge pile of poop. This doesn't reflect bad on the owner of the cottage and highland house but the owner of the dog. It's your responsibility to pick up after your pets. This place is so beautiful, I hope it continues to stay that way. I spent every summer as a child in Cape May, I can say as long as the cottage is around we just may have a place to bring our kids to experience what I did as a child.

• Stayed December 2012
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you so much for writing your review of the Highland House Cottage. The Highland House wants all of our guests including the four legged guests to feel to home. We're glad to hear that you were enjoyed your holiday at our place. Thanks for letting us know about the other guest dog's accident. It's given me the idea to set up stations with doggie clean up bags...
The Highland House also started Garden Pawtea's that benefit a local Animal Shelter. The teas right now are during the Winter and Spring months every Saturday from 1:00 to 3:00 weather permitting. A lot of nice folks have come to support a good cause. Stop by if you can.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Owego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've never felt like I just hit the jackpot as I did when I arrived at the Highland Cottage for our 3 day vacation earlier this month. I read several reviews and booked our stay hoping it would prove to be the right choice. We chose to stay at the Cottage in Villas, NJ, a quick 15 minutes from Cape May. I can tell you that the minute we walked inside, we knew we got lucky. This was our first vacation with 2 of our dogs and we were unsure of how they would handle a new place. Within a couple of hours, they were settled in as if it was their second home. They loved exploring the huge fenced in yard! Once they checked everything out, they stretched out on the sofa for a peaceful snooze. I think the thing I loved the most about our stay was that the dogs were able to do exactly what they do when they are home (i.e.- sleep on the couch, investigate every nook of the yard). That eliminated any of their anxiety about being in a strange place. The cottage's decor was impressive and Dave has made sure that it's equipped with everything you may need while there. Up to date, modern furnishings ( I would have killed for the granite countertop!), central air, a tv in every room, an unbelievably comfortable bed with an euro-top mattress, and a Jenn-Air range with grill..... The Cottage is located 4 blocks from the bay ocean where you can take your dogs for a walk on the beach and enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Cape May Winery is located close by as are a number of restaurants. You even have the benefit of visiting the Highland House when you pick up the key and the added bonus of meeting Dave's Mom, Terry. Talk about the hostess with the mostess! We were merely stopping in for they key but were graciously offered a sample of her homemade chocolate cake. I can't think of a better place we could have taken our dogs on vacation. Dave, you were definitely meant to be doing this - your passion for people and animals shines through in what you offer the animal lovers of the world. Kudos to you and your Mom. I wish you continued success in your endeavor and hope to see you again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you, thank you, thank you. The Highland House and Highland Cottage hopes that all who visit feel at home, including the guest pets. It's so nice to hear that your visit was a wonderful one. It's nice to read that your dogs felt at home too. It's a great visual of them playin in the backyard an relaxing on the sofa... I cannot tell you how appreciative we are that you took the time to give the Highland House Cottage such a nice review. Thank you on behalf of the Highland House, myself and my Mom. I hope you enjoyed her chocolate cake.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Terry makes you feel at home while on vacation away from home. Dogs are welcome, but not necessary to enjoy this B&B. Elegant style and comfort at a fair price year round. I'd recommend it to anyone going to Cape May.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bergen County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is one of the first places we've ever seen where we could take not only our dog but our cat on vacation too, since they're both young, we didn't want to leave them at home or board them. Both of us (husband and wife) are very happy to have found this location, booking the room was simple and Terry was a wonderful hostess. We found the room, the Garden room, to be very cozy and we loved the detailing of the vines and leaves painted throughout, our "little 'uns" enjoyed it too. The 2nd floor porch was also a nice surprise and we made sure to enjoy the room, porch and cable TV throughout our short stay. We found Terry to be very sweet and accomodating, as we had hit traffic on the way down and instead of our trip being about 2 to 3 hours, it took us 5 hours to get there, so we asked for a late check-out and being there was a vacancy, we were able to extend our stay for a few hours as well as experience another room, the Green room, which we found to be very nice. I'm not sure why some people had anything negative to say but I found the entire experience to be a positive one with the exception of someone setting off the fire alarm at 5:30am and scaring everyone, but that wasn't the owners fault, it was someone staying in another room. I thank goodness that the fire alarms are working and that nothing was wrong other than another guest being irresponsible. One funny thing though, we found ourselves literally sitting on our hands to keep from helping out more in the kitchen and cleaning the rooms, simply because it feels like you're visiting a long-lost relative rather than renting a room and we're not the type to sit idle while someone else is hosting. We never got to meet Dave, but we want to let you know how we appreciate your hospitality and look forward to visiting again. Also Dave, I notice that you address the negative reviews and am happy that you can take it and turn it into constructive criticism, but if I may give a word of advice, you have tons more positive reviews than negative, so don't take it to heart, while the concensus is that Terry should have more help to manage the house during the busy times, we understand that you make improvements and updates accordingly. We had a great time. Thank you.

Room Tip: The Garden and Green room share the second floor porch, which is very nice. Both rooms are quaint an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for such a nice review of the Highland House. It's very much appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Garden Room and Green Room. I'm glad your dog and cat enjoyed their visit too. We seldom get cat guests at the Highland House but they certainly are welcome too. Thanks for mentioning my Mom. She loves the guests and naturally makes everyone feel as if they're visiting family. Nice guests like yourselves sure have helped keep her active and vital. We hope 2013 has been treating you well and thank you again for such a nice review of the Highland House... By the way, we reconfigured our front yard a litle and now have play area for dogs. There's also Highland House Garden Pawtea held from time to time to benefit a local animal shelter.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

When your dogs are the kids that live at home and you want to take them on vacation, this is the perfect spot. The rooms are wonderful and the yard for your four-legged kids is great. David, the owner and his mother, Terry are there to assist if you need them. Terry is a great cook/baker and will spoil you every morning with a wonderful breakfast, perfect coffee or tea and absolutely delightful conversation. Everything at Highland House is clean and neat as well as being very well decorated, and it is the most pet friendly place we have every stayed. The location is great with a short walk to the gorgeous Cape May beach, shopping and restuarants for lunch or dinner. Don't make the mistake some people did of going out for breakfast, but instead take advantage of the meal that Terry will make for you and enjoy the freshly baked cakes and breads that she offers differntly each day. Terry may have just had her 91st birthday, but you sure couldn't tell by looking at her or talking to her. She is a truly wonderful person (and so is David, her son) and they match the charm of Highland House. If you're going to be in the Cape May area, don't miss the opportunity to stay at Highland House. Be sure to book your stay early so you have a choice of rooms. During the season, they fill up fast because it's such a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you love to take your pet along on vacation with you, you MUST check out the Highland House. The rooms are wonderfully charming and if you want total privacy there is a cottage you can rent in another location just blocks from the doggie beach. Once we discovered Highland House we have never stayed anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newtown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

For a hotel that welcomes pets, the highland house is very clean and nice. With all it's pet oriented knick-knacks, you feel just like you're At grandmas house. If your looking a modern day type Hilton hotel bed and breakfast, this is not the place to stay. But if you want a cute and cozy little room, the highland house has it. The bed and breakfast is only about 4 blocks from the beach, a 10 minute walk. Terry, the mother of the owner of the highland house, is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. At 90 years old, She cooks breakfast for everyone single handedly. Although some people might say the breakfast was small, we were served two pancakes, eggs in any form, juice, coffee, tea, fruit salad, and two types of cake, everything home made. This is a great hotel to bring your furry friends, and I recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Highland House? Share your experiences!