“Love it at Elaines!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn
Save Saved
You added Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
513 Lafayette St, Cape May, NJ   |
Ranked #10 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
“Love it at Elaines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Elaines many times. There isn't anything about it that we don't like. The staff is wonderful, they always cater to out every need, the food is delicious and Anita makes the best drinks! We've seen at least 3 of the dinner shows and have never been disappointed. We feel so much at home there that it is the only place we want to stay at when we are in Cape May. The owners and staff make us feel like family and being there is like being at home.

We recommend Elaines to anyone looking for a place to go to again and again

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lauren E, Public Relations Manager at Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
You are part of the Elaine's family! We love having you and hope to see you again soon!

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
McAdoo, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We rented two rooms for three nights. Both were exceptionally clean, daily service was great, they placed animals made out of towels on the beds after making them. All of the staff was very informative and personable. We received a round of drinks at the bar for both rooms and 2 dinner theater tickets. The dinner theater and food was great. Breakfast was awesome, best coffee I ever had AND best waiter I ever had..JOSH! Location was perfect, walk to everything. The one night we sat on the 2nd floor balcony, ordered pizza, sipped wine and listened to an orchestra that was performing in the park across the street. Very relaxing atmosphere! This was our first time at a B&B, Elaine's made it a wonderful experience, would certainly go back here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lauren E, Public Relations Manager at Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Pat,
We are so happy to hear of your wonderful stay. Please come back again soon! Our Annual Halloween Bash is coming up, October 27th. We hope to see you there!

Warren
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at Elaine's for two nights and just loved it. Room number six is just lovely. It is very comfortable and spotless. The location of Elaine's could not be better. It is a very short walk to the shopping and restaurants, and to the beach. As for the breakfast, it was wonderful. There were many selections to choose from. The yogurt parfait was incredibly delicious. We had breakfast on the porch which just added to the charm of staying there. The very best part of staying there is the staff. They are very friendly and helpful. They make you feel so very welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryann,
We enjoyed having you! Please come again soon. We have our annual Halloween Bash coming up on October 27th and would love to see you there.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Excited to be staying at the bed and breakfast, I was not let down. The location is prime. Practically everywhere one would like to go is within walking distance; the beach, the "Washington Mall" (a long strip of stores a block away), sightseeing, and the other historic buildings. The lighthouse is not much further. Although the area is quiet you feel and know that you are in the muddle of everything.
The staff and owner are approachable. Trying to please the needs of their guests. The "Haunted Mansion" atmosphere is a little eerie but fun and enjoyable.
I had the pleasure of attending the Dinner Theater. The cast were hysterical and included you in the act. They were very friendly and down to earth. The food was good and the wait staff were placating.
The room was cozy. It truly fit the Victorian ambience. It would have been nice to have a little refrigerator (for a cold drink and a little sandwich or the like). Staying in the room felt inviting. It was beautifully decorated with charm of an era passed.
Breakfast in the morning served on the porch was both a comfort and a joy. An excellent way to start the day.
For those with a taste for the paranormal or those just seeking the experience of staying at a Victorian Inn, we HIGHLY recommend Elaine's.

- E & B McCabe -

• Stayed August 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We just returned from our stay here. We were thrilled with everything about it. The staff and service were wonderful, the breakfasts absolutely delicious, the ambiance charming, and the location quite good. We would definitely return, and plan on doing so next summer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We chose to stay at Elaine's because they were family friendly by offering a room with 2 queen size beds. We could not have chosen a better place. The room was ready upon our arrival and the staff was very welcoming. Elaine's is very convenient to everywhere we wanted to go. The beach was a short walk and Washington St Mall was even closer. The entire staff was very accommodating and extremely pleasant. Our breakfast was delicious and very filling for us. It was a great way to start the day. We found the porch to be relaxing and friendly as we met several other guests. Dinner at the Haunted Mansion was great and a crowd pleaser for our family. We enjoyed ending our day with a drink at the bar. We truly felt as though we were among friends and are already planning when we can return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I wanted to like this place, especially after meeting the warm and nice people who work there, but there were a few things that just made that impossible.

Location:
While this property isn't a beach front, its actually in a great location. Just a block away from the Village Bike Shop where you can rent a bike for an hour or a day or several days, the Acme Market where you can buy food and groceries, and the mall.

This is where Elaine's is VERY weak. The room comes as pictured on their website. There's the basic toiletries (e.g., miniature travel size shampoo, bath wash, etc.), towels, hair dryer, and TV with cable, but that's it! No bathrob. No fridge. No phone. No newspaper. No courtesy bottled water. No iron or iron board (everyone shares one and you have to get it from the front desk). They say they have FREE WI-FI, but in Room #2 you can't access or pick up the network. After I arrived, I was told that you can only get a connection in certain parts of the house, so I dragged my MacBook all the way to Cape May for nothing. I wish they would have told me this BEFORE I came when I inquired about WI-FI over the phone when I placed the reservation.

Cost:
In season, Elaine's is on par with the Virginia Hotel and other high-end B&Bs, but without the amenities or the prime location.

Comfort:
The ladies who work the front desk are very kind. However, since Elaine, the owner, is about multiple streams of income (e.g., parking, haunted tours, restaurant, theater, etc.), B&B guests can feel lost in the shuffle, as the front desk employees are pulled into multiple directions, as they work across each business line.

However, my biggest complaint with Elaine's comes from the SMELL OF MY ROOM. As soon as I entered the room I noticed this very strong old and wet mildewy, carpet smell. It was awful. So awful that before I even finished unpacking my car, I went next door to the gift shop to buy some fragranced candles to burn in the room to help with the stinch. Unfortunately, the gals at the front desk told me that due to fire codes, I couldn't burn candles inside. They offered air freshener. After soaking the room with it (literally) and raising the window to let in fresh air, I resorted to the notion that the stinch was there to stay. I felt so uncomfortable with the smell that I didn't want to get under the covers or sheets. Instead, each night I slept on top of the blanket I brought with me. I think the only thing that will remove the smell is to shampoo or remove the carpet and clean the tapestry draped in the room.

Breakfast:
They offer a nice, diverse menu and guests can pick up to 5 entrees (price included). Juice and water is also complimentary. However, specialty drinks (e.g., mimosas, etc.) are extra.

Overall:
While I will likely NOT stay at Elaine's again, I don't think the property is a bad place. If amenities are important to you and you don't do well with stinky smells, Elaine's is not for YOU.

Room Tip: Don't choose room #2 if strong smells bother you!