“Great location, spacious, clean rooms & convenient beach amenities in Cape May.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Sandpiper Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sandpiper Beach Resort
11 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there one night peak (9/1) and one off peak (9/2.) $560 for a one bedroom peak & $320 for the off peak night. At first I thought this was a bit pricey for what it was but after seeing what was around and talking to people The Sandpiper seems to be one of the nicer places there.
Rooms are updated and super clean. Everything you need to prepare food is stocked in your full kitchen. Nice linens and comfortable beds. Really appreciated the location. Easy walk to everything even with two small children. Loved the beach amenities. I would pay more for this place just for that. Complimentary chairs, towel set up at the beach plus food service. Pleasantly surprised by the gym. Treadmill, elliptical and lots of weight machines and equipment. Balls too. All looked new.
Yes, the AC was loud but having small children loud noises do not bother us. Very strong air fresheners and cleaning product throughout the hotel but not unpleasant at all in the room. The pool closed at 7:30 when we were there which I thought was pretty early. Front desk didn't open until 8:00am.
Overall I thought it was worth paying a little more compared to the other beachfront hotel/condo's based on the updated room, cleanliness, and convenient beach amenities. Would stay here again and plan to next year.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ringoes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The sandpiper is a wonderful get away in Cape May, NJ. Our only regret is that we couldn't spend more time! Our unit (105) a 2 bedroom 2 bath was great. Clean ,well kept and very convienant to ocean and other nearby facilities.(Congress Hall) Beach Service is wonderful -lounges, chairs, towels and food/drink service. We had a nice kitchen area and living area. Washer and dryer if needed. Loved the porch with rocking chairs for reading and a glass of wine.
Looking forward to going back next summer!! Maid service is excellent- they even went and got our boys boogie boards that were left by other customers-extremely friendly! Great Place-we will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

There are many great things about the Sandpiper, I just wish the service was a better especially for the price. I stayed in a one bedroom with an ocean view on the second floor after Labor Day, which cost $366 after taxes. The location is perfect. It's right on the beach and very close to the restaurants and shops. The room had a kitchen, which made it extremely helpful with a small child. The kitchen has a full-size frig, stove, microwave, dish washer, coffee maker, and all of the basic kitchen essentials (pots, plates, cups, spatulas, can opener, etc.) I was pleased that they also stock it with a roll of paper towels and some dish detergent and dish washer soap. It was a little weird that the bed is right there when you first walk in by the door. There is a big flat screen tv across from the bed. (Basic cable, no HBO). Also, there is a closet where there is a washer/dryer and the loudest air conditioning unit on planet earth. I read other tripadvisor reviews complaining about it, but white noise doesn't bother me so I ignored them. They were right! It bangs and then whooshes at such a volume, it's just bizarre. It startled me every time.
Past the bedroom is a hallway with the kitchen on the right and the bathroom on the left. The end room is a living room with a sofa bed and another tv. Overall, I thought the room itself was nice and clean. Housekeeping does a great job here. They come around twice a day and knocked on our door at 8pm, which woke the baby. So remember to put the do not disturb sign up if you don't need any towels. The pool was nice and had a sectioned off kiddie area that was perfect for us.
The bad service for me began right off the bat with making the reservation, which I did online. I later saw that my credit card was charged twice. I gave them a call, and they said one person filled the reservation and another person came in the next morning and re-did it all again. I was on hold for a long time, and the process to fix it took a while but mistakes happen, and I was fine with it all as long as it was now fixed. Well, long story short it wasn't. They refunded and cancelled it all completely, and I had to call back three times to finally just have the one reservation I wanted. Something that should have been simple. Half the time I got someone pleasant but that didn't actually fix the thing and the other times I would get something really rude and in a rush who also didn't do anything. Check in was also poor. The gentleman, named Michael, seemed to be so flustered and rushed, like why are you here bothering me?! But there was no one else in the office. It's not like there was a line of people checking in and out. It was like I was burdening him by checking into the hotel. And I did not need one thing except the room number and key. I didn't have any questions, didn't need any services... Lesser priced hotels have much better service. They really need to work on that. But housekeeping was really great, so it's a shame that it's only this one aspect of their service that needs improving.
Overall, I'd still recommend the place based on the location and the room amenities but just go in being patient knowing that the customer service is sub-par.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

For a long weekend away at the beach with the family - we would recommend The Sandpiper.

Coming from a family who has spent vacations mostly on LBI at rented homes or the occasional hotel weekend on the Jersey Shore or Cape Cod, we didn't know what to expect from Cape May, but were pleasantly surprised. As the parents of a 1- and 3-year old, having a one-bedroom suite with a kitchenette was perfect. Also, since the Sandpiper is literally across the street from the beach (where you can rent chairs and umbrellas) it's easy access when you're carrying small people onto the sand.

We got a long-weekend rate that included a $20 breakfast voucher at the neighboring Congress Hall restaurant The Blue Pig, which was perfect for adults and small kids. Service and food was wonderful, and just a block away.

In fact, upon arriving at The Sandpiper, we parked our car and never needed to use it again for the entire trip. The beach, store, restaurants, etc. were all in walking distance.

Tips: The Wifi is horribly slow, so don't assume you can stream videos for your kids, but if you have to check your email, you're okay. There are DVD players in the room. Don't assume that the hotel has included beach access in your rate - and bring cash. It's $6/day or $10 for Fri-Sun for adults and kids over 12.

One day, we had a miscommunication about the cleaning of the room and the maid stopped by during nap time. That said, they were extremely apologetic and very accommodating to our schedule.

It's a little pricey, but if you want a real vacation without too much hassle and personal service, The Sandpiper is worth the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to the Sandpiper for many years, both in and off seasson and have never been disappointed. The rooms are spotless, the view is awesome, proximity to the beach and mall can't be beat and the staff friendly, professional, helpful & courteous. I don't know about the negative reviews posted here. Maybe it's their aura! I highly recommend the Sandpiper and have already booked next summer!

• Stayed August 2013
superveen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked a last minute trip here just to get away for the weekend with my sister and brother in law. We got a 2 br condo. We called in advance to arrange to park 2 cars, as we were coming from different places. Upon check-in, we were told that we only get one spot...even though there was vacancy at the property and plenty of parking. We were paying way to much to deal with that crap. In addition, the property seemed empty of staff and they were basically no help at all.

The actual property is very nice. We had an ocean view and it was great. The rooms are well kept and neat. You are paying for the view and location here, but its worth it. Overall it was a great stay, but I will most definitely seek alternative accomodations next time with a nice and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fair Haven, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Sandpiper is a convenient, clean place to stay especially if you're looking for a small condo with kitchen instead of a hotel room. Our one bedroom was nicely located overlooking the pool/parking lot and offered a limited ocean view since we were on the first floor. We stayed five nights in one bedroom and with title tax and license it was $2600, so no bargain, but comparable to Congress Hall rates. We saved money by eating breakfast and lunch in the condo, so helped offset the price. The pool is cute and small, the gym was clean. Parking was convenient. Even though it was pouring rain, manager would not give us a check out extension. My only gripe about the room was that the bathroom had only a wide open shower, so no way to keep the water from getting all over the bathroom.
Overall, I thought it was pricey for what you get and would probably try out another condo before staying at Sandpiper again, but no significant complaints overall.

Room Tip: If you want a good view and less noise from the parking lot, get a room on high floor. Ask about th...