“Great Anniversary Weekend at the Mason Cottage Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mason Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mason Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn
Save Saved
You added The Mason Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
623 Columbia Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #19 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
New York
“Great Anniversary Weekend at the Mason Cottage Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The Mason Cottage Inn was a great place to spend my anniversary weekend with my wife. I have never traveled to Cape May before and used Trip Advisor to help me along the way. It seemed that Bed And Breakfast places were the way to go. After researching the top 15 or so rated palces on Trip Advisor I noticed all the great reviews for the Mason Cottage but it was rated numer 11 at the time of my research. I noticed that many places which rated better had a few average or poor reviews but the Cottage had almost all excellent reviews with two very good reviews. I wondered how this could be and figured that it rated a little lower then some others while having a better review record because it just didnt have as many reviews and that I may have stumbled upon a hidden gem. After spending two days here in October my assumption proved to be right on the money. I stayed in the Grand Mason Suite which was incredible. We had four rooms to ourselves including one that was a spa with a bath and massage table. The staff was also great, Kim and Christine were very attentive and always helpful. The breakfasts they provided was also excellent. The Mason Cottage also has five bicycles that are in great condition and for use by the guests. What I really liked about the Mason Cottage Inn is that it only accomadates a few guests at any one time. During our stay they were fully booked. I noticed many of the other popular Bed and Breakfasts had many guests and when I looked on their porches there were so many people. I thought to myself as I spent some very private and romantic moments with my wife that I had defineitly made the right choice. If you like some privacy and want a very Romantic stay the Mason Cottage is definitley a great place. Cant wait to comeback again. The location is also great as it is about one block away from the beach and about three blocks away from the primary shopping strip. We parked our car during our first day and walked or biked to everything.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Forked River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We decided on The Mason Cottage B&B after visiting Cape May in July and walking the quiet Victorian neighborhood. We wanted to stay somewhere unique, quiet and charming for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We found exactly that when we checked-in at Tea Time (with mini chocolate chip muffins, hand dipped chocolate pretzels, White chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies with flavored teas of your choice) and Kim greeting us with a warm welcome (fireplace was burning). Kim helped us find a locations for dinner each night: Merion Inn & The Pilot House.
Breakfast each morning was glorious: Baked pear with sweet cream followed by Basil, Sausage & Roasted Tomato Strata; Fresh Strawberries, bananas with yogurt drizzled with honey followed by Baked French Toast with Bacon.
Our room (the Warne Suite) was so spacious and cozy, with our own fireplace to enjoy on those chilly nights and a Jacuzzi to relax in after walking all day.
It was sad checking out…I would have loved to enjoy a 3rd tea time! However, there is always next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Mason Cottage is in a great location, central to most of the hot spots in Cape May. Patty, the inkeeper was charming, helpful and a pleasure to work with in both reserving our very roomy accommodations and on-site as well. We will definitely stay here again.

Cinnaminson, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

For our 2-year anniversary we wanted to go to Cape May for a weekend getaway. There are so many bed & breakfasts to choose from but we had stayed at the Mason Cottage about 5 years prior (under previous ownership) and we still received a mailer every year to remind us of what is going on. We visited the website, selected a room we liked and called to book the reservation. There was a lot of value to be had at around $200 per night compared to the many places that charge significantly more but you get significantly less. Yes, we shopped around a bit and saw a 2.5 star motel for $350+ per night. So what do you get for your money? Location: 1 block to the beach/promenade and 2 blocks to the pedestrian shopping area. You are smack in the middle of it all, but on a quiet street where you sit on the porch and can watch beach cruisers and horse-drawn carriages go by. Kinda sounds lovely right? It is. For the folks that like to leave your car in the same spot as when you arrived, there are courtesy bikes available to check out. You can easily explore the town on bike. One night we got dressed up and took the beach cruisers for a spin, landing at the Lobster House. Here's the fun part: we put our name in and while everyone else sort of just waits and waits, we rode bikes. It was fantastic! The Inn: Our room, the Columbia, was beautiful and comfortable. Light blue toile wallpaper, not over-powering flower power paper. There was the Exit Zero magazine and the Inn's binder waiting for us, so we could figure out what we wanted to do. Complementary coffee-bar and newspaper, common area refridgerator and microwave were good for our leftovers. The toilettries smell amazing! I think it was Sicilian Orange? The Beach: For your convenience there are two beach chairs and towels for you. I like this because it was just more relaxing. Plus an outdoor shower in the back to hose off. So yeah, all of this is great stuff but I haven't even said the very best things about the Mason Cottage. It's Patti! The innkeeper. Warm greeting with a warm smile and a warm heart. You can find her if you need her for anything and she will help you. She even helped me plan a special evening on the beach as a surprise to my husband. And lastly, we had thee most delicious breakfasts, made by Patti, of course! She even provided me the recipe for the French Toast Souffle! So if you want a great experience, go to the Mason Cottage Inn.

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The Mason Cottage is in the BEST location in Cape May. One block to the ocean and 2 blocks to Washington Street Mall. Patti, the hostess, is a beautiful and gracious person who makes you feel like family. She is a delightful cook, full of knowledge about the town and was able to make everything feel so warm and inviting. The rooms at the Mason Cottage are all beautiful and comfortable. We stayed in 2 rooms while we were there and LOVED them both. The beds are SO comfy and it's so quiet and peaceful. Patti and her staff are marvelous. Can't wait to go stay with her again. There is no reason to try anywhere new!

Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We recently had the opportunity to visit Cape May for the first time, and arranged to stay at the Mason Cottage. Both the area and the Cottage were simply beyond our expectations. Patti, the "Inn Keeper Extraordinaire", was able to make each day start off just right (she is a great cook), and made wonderful suggestions for the local cuisine (which is fantastic).
I can easily and highly recommend the Mason Cottage to other couples traveling to the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

This was our first stay at a B&B, we have been to Cape May/Wildwood many times, but always with the kids, and always a hotel. This was our 11th anniversary weekend, and my husband suprised me with the trip. Our weekend got a late start and cut short due to family emergencies... but anyway, here is my review! The whole area is adorable and the street (Columbia) is one beautiful Victorian after the next... The Mason Cottage is one of the 'stand outs' on the block. It has beautiful architecture and its very 'homey' looking... rocking chairs and wraparound porch, very pretty. Parking is a pain around there, but a little patience and a lot of circling around and you will find a spot. The house is immaculate and decorated perfectly...it felt like you stepped back in time! We stayed in the Warne Suite... very nice...I dont think I would choose that room again, only because it is on the TOP floor, I didnt mind the walk up but it was kind of warm for me. But the room was adorable, nice litte living room and the bathroom was great...nice big jacuzzi and there are nice soaps that smell like orange... nice touches. There are also very nice robes to use and even a blow dryer...in case you forget yours. There is even an IPod dock, which was nice to have. Our TV didnt come on and my husband told Patti (the owner..more on her later!) and she took care of it in a second! The room was great.. very cozy and clean. Breakfast was delicious! We had a french toast souffle this morning (im writing this quick, I know!) and it was AMAZING.... there is also fresh fruit and a side breakfast meat... plus fresh orange juice, lots of different teas to choose, coffee also. There is also 24 hour coffee/tea if you want, there is a Keurig (sp?) machine set up for whoever wants it. We came back at 3pm from the beach for afternooon tea...which was lemonade and key lime pie, delicious! and very refreshing since it was about 100 degrees!! There are also beach chairs and bikes free to use.. I think there were even beach towels that guests could use.... The food and house are perfect... but Patti, the owner is just the best! She is so friendly and sweet and IMMEDIATELY makes you feel like you knew her forever...shes very funny and talkative and just a nice person... She is just someone you immediately like and it was all just a very welcoming experience... I will NEVER stay at a hotel in Cape May again.. I am already looking forward to a nice long weekend next summer there. I will definately stay at the Mason Cottage again. If I take the kids, I will do the Wildwood Crest hotels, only because they like pools, but for adult-only vacations, I will be staying there again! Location was great too, it was right near the beach and shopping...perfect weekend! Wish I could of gotten there earlier than I did and I didnt have to run out so early... but things happen!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mason Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!