“Disgusting!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Beacon, New York, United States
“Disgusting!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The property itself is nice..Rusty Nail, Fire Pit, Music...but the room was so bad! As soon as we walked through the door the "mildew" smell was over whelming! The furniture was gross, the bathroom was so small you felt like you were on a ship! the drawers in the bathroom and bedroom didn't open (warped) there was NO phone, NO alarm clock in the bedroom. Set up was weird, there was a sink in the bedroom. Towels were rough, bedding was okay if you overlooked the dead mosquito on the duvet. In the morning my husband killed a huge thousand legger bug in the bedroom and I saw a smaller one run behind the mirror!! by the sink! COULDN'T GET OUT OF HERE FAST ENOUGH! This was the WORST $200+ dollars we EVER spent on 1 night. They should be ASHAMED of themselves to charge this much for a room!! Front desk was helpful in finding us other accommodations at their other property the Sand Piper.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
succasunna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed at the Beach Shack in Cape May with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson for a 3 day weekend in Bungalow One which is a 3 bedroom suite. The location was wonderful, and the adjoining restaurant (The Rusty nail) was very good. Great ambience outside with a firepit...very relaxing!!
As previous reviewers have said the linens were top rated, but the atmosphere of luxury certainly ended there. The carpeting was old and stained, there was a QUICK paint job done but very sloppily, tiles missing on the bathroom floor, a very discolored yellow tub...in general, nothing you would expect for the rates charged! I have stayed at the Sandpiper..a few doors away...and La Mer..a few blocks away.... in both places the rooms were much nicer!! Hopefully Cape Resorts will renovate the place soon before all the negative reviews have an impact. They have a great location, right across from the beach, but there is too much competition to rely on that!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were going to Cape May for a quick beach weekend and I was reluctant to book after reading the reviews. Yes, it is an updated old motel as expected but the rooms were nice, no musty odor at all. The air conditioning was strong and the linens were nice and plentiful. We were close to the music and the fire pit on the first floor- and once we closed the door, we couldn't hear anything. The proximity to the beach and the chair and umbrella service are definitely reasons why we would return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
NY,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at many of the hotels, B&Bs in Cape May over the years so when I booked my reservation at Beach Shack and read the reviews on TripAdvisor.com I was a bit nervous but once I checked in all my worries were gone. We booked a family shack ( its actually a one bedroom efficiency with a living room, microwave, fridge, coffee maker) which faced the beach ( Room 311) on the top floor and our room was fantastic. They have seating outside on the shared balcony so you can enjoy the sunset, beach or a bit of fresh air. It was clean and comfortable. The bedroom was not huge but it served its purpose. The sitting area was cozy with a nice couch and TV. Our room was spotless and we had a TV in both the living room and bedroom which was excellent for our different TV viewing schedules. Included in our stay was complimentary beach chairs, towels and umbrellas. The staff on the beach were great and every am they were there ready to set up our spot on the sand. The front desk staff were pleasant ,polite and accommodating. Our room was not ready upon check in but we were called shortly after so it worked out well. The Rusty Nail is quite convenient for a bite to eat or drink. They have a great fire pit along with live music for all to enjoy. The bar was packed on the wknd.
We give Beach Shack an A++++.

Room Tip: Room 311 was great. Top floor overlooking the beach and in the corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marmora, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is the first time I have written a review on a place that I have not actually stayed in but I feel compelled to advise others who are considering a stay here. I booked a bungalow room for an upcoming holiday weekend with the intent of having a long awaited girls weekend for 6. I initially chose the Beach Shack for it's close proximity to both the beach and the Rusty Nail (firepits, outside bar etc). I assumed it would offer nice accomodations so I booked it. I did note the reviews on TA were at best lukewarm but since I live locally, I figured I could go check it out in advance. Well, I did just that today and boy am I glad that I did! I was actually turned off before even viewing the bungalow. Upon entering the less than impressive reception area, I was greeted by a desk clerk who seemed annoyed that I wanted to see the room, She initially told me that there were no rooms available for inspection (despite there being a vacancy sign) and when I asked when I could return, she magically found a key to the very room that I had reserved. I was seconds away from cancelling the reservation based solely on her crappy attitude.
The positives on the bungalow would be the location (great beach view and nice associated private sundeck w/ loungers) and the size but that's about it. The decor was very outdated and worn (think Brady Bunch after a frat party) and there was a general musty smell to the place. I knew instantly that this was not the place for us (especially at $450/night in shoulder season). This place has so much potential but it is obviously not being realized by the owners. Sadly, a case of taking advantage of a reputation which in my eyes has now been tarnished. DO NOT STAY HERE! there are much nicer places in Cape May!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Livingston, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you are a big fan of mold, this is the place for you. It is growing, uninhibited in the bathroom of room 214. When informed, hotel management apologized and assured me the room was renovated a few years ago. (they were not interested in moving my room or ceaning up the mold.) The room may have had some cheap fixing, newer windows and carpet but there was nothing that resembled a renovation. The vanity in the bathroom had the Formica veneers broken off of it, allowing mold to grow from the particle board underneath. The tub was not re-glazed as it was in the other rooms others from our party were staying in. The floor tiles were “vintage”. The celing above the shower is covered in mold. Not just a dot, litterally mold spores growing across the entire celing above the shower!

If you are the kind of person who cleanliness matters to at all, don’t stay here. The beach was cleaner than the bathroom.

The location is good. The Rusty Nail, the resturant in the middle of the motel, is also good. I wouldn't stay at the Beach Shack again if they paid me to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Beach Shack is a laid back surfer atmosphere with a terrific location, just across the beach. After having read numerous reviews before our stay, I was prepared for the dated decor and general run down condition of the motel. Personally I didn't mind the decor, many of the important things had been upgraded, such as the super comfy beds with upscale linens and crisp white duvets. Lots of assorted comfy pillows.
I love when hotel bedding has those layers of thin cotton blankets, sheets and duvets, rather than a stiff nasty old bedspread. Beds A+.
Yes the bathroom is dated. But there was plenty of hot water whenever I needed it and the towels were thick and plush and we were quickly given extra upon request. There was no fan in the bathroom, but there was a window which is a plus for me. Bathroom C.
Yes the carpet was yucky, and our feet were dirty from walking on it. Wood floors would be a classy upgrade. The general feel of the room was damp, this improved a little after three days, but it was hard to dry out wet items. There are no laundry facilities at the motel or anywhere near it we were told.
I do remember reading that this place was bought before the recession with plans to demolish it and build a plush resort. That may be the reason they haven't put a lot of time and money into renovation. It still works as is, if you are looking for a casual relaxed stay, which I was.
The Rusty Nail was just below our room and was somewhat noisy and crowded but not after 10 pm. The fire pit is interesting but I found the crowd there somewhat loud and obnoxious. I didn't want to spend as much time there as I thought I would.
The umbrella and chair beach service can't be beat and it was one of the main reasons I picked Beach Shack. So convenient.
Would I stay at Beach Shack again?
Hmm, I really want to try Congress Hall again, I stayed there about ten years ago and loved it. If I had to pay prime season rates I don't think Beach Shack would be worth it. We stayed just after Labor Day so priced were reasonable.
So, maybe I would stay there again, after I tried a couple of other places first.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Beach Shack? Share your experiences!