“A hidden Gem inside Cold Spring Village” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 108 Restaurants in Cape May
Burlington City
“A hidden Gem inside Cold Spring Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

You could easily be touring Historic Cold Spring Village in Cape May and leave without realizing the fine food you missed. The restaurant, recently remodeled and taken over by Tony Clark, is a 4 star experience just outside of the town of Cape May. We heard about it from talking with my new friends at the Cape May Chamber Visitors Center ,downtown by the bus terminal. The staff is a wealth of good local info, not just what the tourist wants to hear. SO we listened while they told me about The Old Grange and their early bird special before 6pm, Tuesday thru Saturday. They said it was so filling there was hardly any room for dessert. Truer words were never spoken to this Trip Advisor reviewer. The menu changes every Tuesday so if you hold on to a copy, it wont do you any good. We thought we had the choice of Pork Cutlet,Grilled Chicken breast, or Mahi-Mahi. Instead the menu showed Chicken Fried Steak which my wife ordered and the Filet of Fish topped with stewed tomatoes that I had, along with always a third choice. The meal comes with soup, tomato bisque and split pea were great. You then get a deviled egg, rolls and butter,and a large wedge salad with homemade dressing that is hard to describe except fabulous. It was kinda like a wine vinaigrette but that doesn't do it justice. After all that, and some good homemade ice tea, our meals came. They are served with 3 vegetables of the day, potatoes,carrots, cauliflower, and green beans to name a few all done separately and seasoned to perfection. SO if you have made it this far, you now have to find room for dessert, something not always found on an early bird menu. We lucked out because the lemon glaze pound cake ,which I am sure was very good, changed to fresh strawberry shortcake. The portion, while not large, is enough at this point in the meal to send you home more than satisfied. And then you get the bill, 18$ per person, complete. You say whats the catch? Its that this word of mouth new restaurant will soon have the early bird and regular diners lining up outside for this wonderful new addition to the Cape May restaurant offerings. Don't let it remain hidden on your list for long, or you will miss out.

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Philadelphia
“The Old Grange Restaurant near Cape may is now being run by Tony Clark and is superb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

The Old Grange Restaurant adjacent to Historic Cold Spring Village on Seashore Road near Cape May, NJ has recently been reopened by Tony Clark. I went there for the first time this evening and was pleasantly surprised. We got there early for the "Early Menu" which is a multi-course fixed price menu,

The entrées on the early menu were a pan seared pork cutlet, seafood kabobs and turkey parmesan. I had a kabob, which may have been a little light on seafood, but was delicious. Vegetables were served family style. The meal also included an appetizer, a salad, soup, a desert and beverages. The food was all very well prepared and the service was superb.

I plan to go back again and i recommend the restaurant.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“5 star food and service at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011 via mobile

Recently went to old grange restaurant at the recommendation of a friend who had told us that a new chef took over. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and service there. Would compare the food to the quality of the Ebbit Room but bigger portions and more affordable
Dessert was fantastic as well. The chef came out to personally greet us and also gave us a few freebies ( nice touch). If your a Foodie who appreciates interesting foods with artistic presentation then you should check it out

Cape May
“Under new management - Worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I'm a tough critic (just look at any of my other reviews), but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Old Grange. I have wanted to try it since I moved to Cape May years ago, but I just never got around to it. When I learned it was under new management, I figured this would be a good time to try it.

The atomosphere is nice. It has a bit of elegance---white tablecloths, properly placed cutlery, etc. I normally do not like restaurants that are just one big room, but I was seated at a corner table, so it worked out fine. The decor is pleasingly rustic, with fresh flowers on the table (I'm impressed by that as so many restaurants put tacky fake flowers on tables instead). I noticed that they had tables set up on the porch, and I do think it would be nice to sit on the porch during the summer.

The menu is a bit limited and is on a piece of paper (one of the reasons for my four- rather than five-star rating). However, there was enough of a selection so that my husband (a meat-eater) and I (who only eat fish or vegetarian when out) were satisfied. The bread was delicious---REAL Italian bread, not the usual stale Merita rolls that some of the CM "fine dining" places have the nerve to serve. My husband started with the shrimp cocktail, which were colossal and were served with a traditional chunky cocktail sauce; he enjoyed it as, amazingly, this is something that is hard to find on most menus in CM restaurants. I started with the shrimp ravioli "pillows" (not sure why they call it this), which was good, but I didn't care for the tomato "broth" it was in. Not sure if I would order that again. My husband had the steak, which he liked, although the cut of meat wasn't the best. I ordered the crabcakes, and to be honest, they were fine, but they had a bit too much filling for my liking.

The desserts were heavenly! I had the brioche bread pudding and I savored every bite. My husband had the French style strawberry shortcake, which was delicious as well.

The restaurant is BYOB, which is nice as it keeps the price down. Speaking of price, I found this place to be a bit cheaper than most of the other fine dining places in Cape May. Our bill came to $91 (2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, 1 coffee). That's about $20-$30 less than most other similar establishments in CM.

My only complaint (besides the food choices and the limited menu I mentioned above) is that they don't serve espresso. I like to finish a meal with espresso.

I was impressed by the service, not only from our waitress but also from all the other workers. We got a smile and a greeting from everyone we passed, and that really means a lot. I don't think most restaurants in Cape May realize that customers want to feel welcome and appreciated. Many times when I go out, I feel as if my presence in the restaurant is taken for granted, but I didn't feel that way at Old Grange.

In short, I would go back, and I would recommend it to others.

• Visited May 2011