“Needs Updating” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 42 hotels in Cape May
New Jersey
“Needs Updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

There's not much to say that's too good about the Buckingham. Very old motel with poor lighting in the rooms and musty smell. The rug had a spongy feel to it which gave the feeling of dampness. The price is a bit lower than other motels in the area, but you get what you pay for and in this case paying a little more is worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Crystal H, Owner at Buckingham Motel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I know it's been a few years, but I'm disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. That said, we've done some updates, and would love to have you back.

All the best,
Crystal, Owner

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Westmont, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed at many Hotels and motels on Beach Ave in Cape May and have liked many of them. My husband always takes to to Cape May for my birthday every October and this year with $ being tighter than usual we shopped for the best price. The hotel room was mid century but clean and neat nothing fancy but the unobstructed view of the ocean was to die for and if you are into sunrises you can't ask for a better place. Life is too short not to wake up for a sunrise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the second time my husband and I stayed at the Buckingham. It's definitely a "no frills" motel, but we like it because of it's location (right across from the beach), and it's less expensive than the other hotels/motels in the same location. Another reviewer said it best "basic and clean" There is no pool, no restaurant, etc, but it's clean and quiet. Last time we stayed we had a basic room on the first floor, this year, we opted for one of the oceanfront rooms, which has a deck (shared by the other ocean front rooms). It was nice to keep the windows open and listen to the surf at night and also to have coffee on the deck in the morning while watching the dolphins frolic in the ocean (each morning there were pods of dolphins swimming in the ocean, very cool to watch them through binoculars). There doesn't seem to be a lot of kids staying here (which is nice for a couple with no children), probably because there is no pool, but who cares about a pool when you're steps from the ocean. I'll list out the pros and cons:

PROS: Inexpensive (for Cape May), clean, right across from beach, within walking distance from middle of town and from shopping areas (though it is quite a long walk if you have trouble walking).
CONS: No pool, prices went up since the last time I stayed.

In a nutshell, not a luxury hotel by any means, but when I go down the shore, I just want a place to sleep and it's clean and comfortable. Added plus, is that it's right across from the beach. I was a bit disappointed that the prices went up this year, the value for your money is not as much as it used to be. TIP: When I go to Cape May, I like to stay in a B&B if it's off-season, and you're there for the history or to walk around town and at the Buckingham during the summer, if you're there for the beach. P.S. I got a kick out of some of the reviews that complained about WIFI - put the technology down people, you're at the beach!

Room Tip: 2nd floor oceanfront, best view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sparta, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stay at this hotel every September and while it is not the most modern nor full of the best amenities it is simply a great clean and basic place to call home for your trip to Cape May. The staff is very friendly -- Janet will talk your ear off about anything you want to talk about! The rooms, again, basic. No pool -- use the big pool across the street (a.k.a. The Atlantic Ocean). Within walking distance of the beachfront bars, attractions, and shopping. If you are on a budget, this place is for you.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

This place is dated... I mean straight from the 50's. Old floral patterns everywhere and it's just old old old. I guess it's the best deal in Cape May for a good reason.

It's in the "fine print" but kids are $10 extra per night. I didn't find that out until the owner left me a note stating that "the housekeeper saw your daughter". I explained that I wasn't hiding her but she went and charged my card anyway. The website does not allow you to add children and I had to look at the fine print when I got home.

By the way my daughter is 3... Usually kids that young are free everywhere but maybe the owner needs to save up to update the place. I won't be staying here again...

I'd rather pay $50 more and stay in an updated place closer to civilization southward.

• Stayed September 2012
delco,pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was here with a gf 2 years ago. I liked it a lot then..I wrote a review before

The are many things that are different since the last time I was here..

1. They didn’t have WIFI 2 years ago . They do now.buT it sucks. I have a brand new top of the line internet tablet and I couldn’t get any signal in my room I could barely even get a signal if i walked around the motel. They have 3 wifi hotspots, And NONE of them are good.I was trying to figure where the access points were. And since the motel isn’t that big you gotta wonder where they are!.Cmon guys , Go spring for a router with a better range! Less than 200 for a great router and maybe 100 each for a range extender! Trust me you wont regret it!.

2. The housekeeping girl was great. I asked for extra towels and she was very generous…Good customer service. And the towels were good quality, maybe even better than 2 years ago.

3. The rug in our room was a little dirty. It felt like there was sand all over the rug or big specks of black dirt. I couldn’t tell. When we were out of the shower my bare feel quickly felt dirty. This was NOT the case last year. I felt no sand before. And I am positive I WOULD have remembered this from before. Cmon guys, get a more powerful vacuum here.

4. The bed wasn’t as good as 2 years ago. It had a 2 inch mattress cushion that moved around a lot. My gf almost fell off the bed twice during the time we stayed.it also felt caved in.,Also the sheet at a dirty mark at the foot of the bed that I noticed when I slept there the first day

5. They offer you no complimentary shampoo. Just tiny soap bars.Its a good thing I brought some myself!

6. The fridge, which worked well 2 years ago, wasn’t as good as last time.. it took a while for things to get cold. And the freezer never actually FROZE anything even with the dial all the way up.

7.They changed the TV from small CRTs to LCD TVs .

The Buckingham- as I stated in a previous review is one of the cheapest places to stay that was relatively clean and close to the beach with good customer service I did recommend it before and compared – price wise it is still better than most, But overall the value of this motel has clearly gone down since my experience 2 years ago.

If I have to stay at at the Buckingham the next time im in Cape May( either because of pricing or availability, I will do it,but in all honesty,I may have to look around and dos ome hotel/motel shopping first before I settle with this one. Slighty recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

A fairly priced no frills hotel. If all you want is a clean room with a bed, and shower, this is the place. Never was able to connect to the internet, but the beach entrance was a short walk away. Located far enough north from the hubbub to be quiet. Pleasant staff and eager to please.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Buckingham Motel? Share your experiences!